And that moment I sighed.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I read all of this assuming you were being sarcastic, until the expensive car comment. You are actually complaining you can't cut the sleeves off your gi?

Yes. I paid for it for it is mine and I should be able to do with it what I wish, but I understand that the dojo has rules of uniformity. It is something that bugs me but at the end of the day it won't stop me from going there so it's not that big of a deal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about any of that. It's just I have worked so hard getting them in the first place that I want them to be visible. Would you hide an expensive car? Or a really cool tattoo?

My Corvette spends most of it's time in the garage. My tattoos are usually covered.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I paid for it for it is mine and I should be able to do with it what I wish, but I understand that the dojo has rules of uniformity. It is something that bugs me but at the end of the day it won't stop me from going there so it's not that big of a deal.
I am sure that you can cut it if you want, just as long as you have another one and don't wear that one to the dojo. You also probably aren't allowed to just wear a tshirt and jeans to the dojo for class, and I doubt you would complain about that. The sifu has his own rules regarding what is respectful/appropriate to be worn in his dojo and expects people to follow it.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Corvette spends most of it's time in the garage. My tattoos are usually covered.

I congratulate you on your ability to be so humble about it. If I had one be showing it off.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We allowed fighters to spar wearing a school t-shirt, so you would have been all set.

But if you were in my dojo and wanted to cut off gi sleeves to show off your guns, I'd fully support your right and tell you to go ahead.(I'm nice that way)
But, once you did, the big dogs would keep hitting your arms during fighting until you felt like Roland La Starza and could no longer hold them up to protect yourself.

Then, immediately after sparring, we would all do chins ups....and mock you a second time.
All in good nature, I assure you. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I congratulate you on your ability to be so humble about it. If I had one be showing it off.

I enjoy playing with and modifying my car, as well as engaging in the occasional exhibition of acceleration. And cornering. But I do that for my pleasure, and possibly to put some Honda driver in their place. ;)

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
We allowed fighters to spar wearing a school t-shirt, so you would have been all set.

But if you were in my dojo and wanted to cut off gi sleeves to show off your guns, I'd fully support your right and tell you to go ahead.(I'm nice that way)
But, once you did, the big dogs would keep hitting your arms during fighting until you felt like Roland La Starza and could no longer hold them up to protect yourself.

Then, immediately after sparring, we would all do chins ups....and mock you a second time.

I would take it like a man. Or a little girl, a very manly little girl.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ironbear, you just keep rocking, my brother. Your instructor is lucky to have you.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Switch to Jeet Kune Do. No uniforms. I often wear a tank shirt. And, like Bruce Lee, I sometimes wear no shirt ;)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upload_2016-5-22_19-46-27.png

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The bicep, the tricep, and the nerve clusters in that general vicinity are great sport. You can entertain yourself for hours finding the interesting places that a well-aimed and powerfully-delivered single knuckle can do to the unsuspecting peacock. All in good fun, of course.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoy playing with and modifying my car, as well as engaging in the occasional exhibition of acceleration. And cornering. But I do that for my pleasure, and possibly to put some Honda driver in their place. ;)

I cheerfully drive a clapped out 1994 Toyota pickup truck with a 4 cylinder engine and make way when the ego-powered monster machines need to pass me by. Having owned not one but two 1969 Dodge Chargers and a very quick motorcycle in my time, I don't really feel the need anymore. I did all my proving, nothing more to say. I stay slow, keep it between the ditches (mostly) and never let the road-ragers get to me. Life is too short, and people around here are too quick to pull a gun and shoot you in the noggin for daring to disrespect their ride.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah thanks. That means a lot.

Seconded, keep doing what you're doing. I laugh and maybe mock a bit (in good fun) but I was your age once. I remember what it was like.

It's just not me anymore. Some people change with age, some stay the same. Personally, I'm not competitive. I train because it's what I want to do, and when I lift, it's because I want to be stronger, not because I want 'big guns'. I'm slower than most, take longer to learn anything martial arts related, and I'm perfectly OK with that. A type A personality I am not. I just muddle along, being happy to be me, and I get where I'm going in time. There's no rush, we're all headed to the same place.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cheerfully drive a clapped out 1994 Toyota pickup truck with a 4 cylinder engine and make way when the ego-powered monster machines need to pass me by. Having owned not one but two 1969 Dodge Chargers and a very quick motorcycle in my time, I don't really feel the need anymore. I did all my proving, nothing more to say. I stay slow, keep it between the ditches (mostly) and never let the road-ragers get to me. Life is too short, and people around here are too quick to pull a gun and shoot you in the noggin for daring to disrespect their ride.

You're just getting old, dude... :)
Don't misinterpret what I've said about the racing and such. I don't actually care if I lose, because I appreciate performance in anything. If someone outruns me, peachy. I'm not sure where the diversion into a road rage discussion even came from.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're just getting old, dude... :)
Don't misinterpret what I've said about the racing and such. I don't actually care if I lose, because I appreciate performance in anything. If someone outruns me, peachy. I'm not sure where the diversion into a road rage discussion even came from.

I am old.

And it was something about putting the Honda drivers in their place. As a Toyota driver, I know my place. Left lane and slow, wearing a hat. ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do actually but I hide my legs because they don't match the rest of my body. They are very thin despite the leg workouts.

Calves are the hardest muscle to grow.

3/4 gi pants mabye

Latest Discussions