And that moment I sighed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cheerfully drive a clapped out 1994 Toyota pickup truck with a 4 cylinder engine and make way when the ego-powered monster machines need to pass me by. Having owned not one but two 1969 Dodge Chargers and a very quick motorcycle in my time, I don't really feel the need anymore. I did all my proving, nothing more to say. I stay slow, keep it between the ditches (mostly) and never let the road-ragers get to me. Life is too short, and people around here are too quick to pull a gun and shoot you in the noggin for daring to disrespect their ride.
Up until recently, I was the opposite. Had a '93 corsica, that I knew was not going to last much longer. When someone with a nice, fast car would do that, I would speed up and make sure that they did not pass me. Sometimes, if it was night and they started flashing at me, I would then match up with another car to force them to go slow. A-hole thing to do, but if they wanted to drive like that and expect everyone to move out of their way, I saw no reason to defy their expectations a bit.
Now, I share a car with my brother, so I try not to do something that could damage it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Up until recently, I was the opposite. Had a '93 corsica, that I knew was not going to last much longer. When someone with a nice, fast car would do that, I would speed up and make sure that they did not pass me. Sometimes, if it was night and they started flashing at me, I would then match up with another car to force them to go slow. A-hole thing to do, but if they wanted to drive like that and expect everyone to move out of their way, I saw no reason to defy their expectations a bit.
Now, I share a car with my brother, so I try not to do something that could damage it.

I try not to do things that will damage me. Part of self-defense is having less to defend. Pass me. You are elected King of the Highway. I'm good with it. Weave in and out if traffic, I will cheerfully slow down and wave you in, or out, or whatever you want. If it's about winning, I gladly forfeit.

I just don't compete on the road. Which, by the way, is its own kind of winning. People want me to play their game and I won't. It kills em.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am old.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever. :D

And it was something about putting the Honda drivers in their place. As a Toyota driver, I know my place. Left lane and slow, wearing a hat. ;)

See? Now if only the saggy pants boys who think an 8" exhaust tip and 40lbs of sticker will make your car quick understood this...

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am old.

And it was something about putting the Honda drivers in their place. As a Toyota driver, I know my place. Left lane and slow, wearing a hat. ;)

That driving slow in the left lane while trying to avoid getting shot thing might not be the most well thought-out plan I have heard.......just saying.....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
See? Now if only the saggy pants boys who think an 8" exhaust tip and 40lbs of sticker will make your car quick understood this...
C'mon... It's the flame decal job that makes your car fast.

And returning to topic...

A thought on uniforms and martial arts training... Many arts (not all!), especially the Japanese arts, feature an emphasis on developing a certain form of personal humility. The plain white uniform, with minimal adornment, goes with that concept and goal. Cutting the sleeves off so that you show off your biceps is pretty directly counter to that goal. Now, if that's not part of your goal in training -- then it doesn't matter. But if it does, perhaps the exercise of submitting to the rules can be of some benefit.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that rules were maybe not in place to prevent you from going sleeveless. Perhaps the rules just had to be set at some point and it just happend to be selected that GI should not be modified in that way.

Allowing one guy to break the rules would in fairness allow all to break the rules. Before you know it some nudist guy is gonna be there flashing his entire being claiming it is only a natural body suit and should be fine for practise. Or worse...

So following the rules, no matter how stupid they are is just because there has to be some rules. It was just bad luck for you those rules affected your desires.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I would venture that old rules (body type) are fine with what they are, but just don't take big guns into consideration!

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's not about any of that. It's just I have worked so hard getting them in the first place that I want them to be visible. Would you hide an expensive car? Or a really cool tattoo?
Wow...are you there to train or to show off. Sorry but this Is the kind of comment you expect from troll accounts. At first I thought you were joking but if you are serious then wow,..now you normally post good stuff but seriously your upset because you can't show off your arms? Quit martial arts go to a gym then you can wear a tank top and pose in front of mirrors to your hearts content

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow...are you there to train or to show off. Sorry but this Is the kind of comment you expect from troll accounts. At first I thought you were joking but if you are serious then wow,..now you normally post good stuff but seriously your upset because you can't show off your arms? Quit martial arts go to a gym then you can wear a tank top and pose in front of mirrors to your hearts content
I have a gym membership and a dojo membership. I said earlier but maybe you didn't see it, it's something I find to be annoying but it's not a big deal. It's not something I will quit over. There are too many positives about the place to quit over something as silly as that.

Latest Discussions