anaerobic fitness

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, here is the situation. When I do really intense burst workouts (1 minute high-intensity bag workouts, 3 minute full contact round) I get really light-headed.

Aerobically I'm in good shape, I can run 5 miles with eight minute miles, and can do all my forms and techniques at a good clip.

I believe this is an issue of anaerobic fitness. I occaisonally do windsprints to try and work on this, but winter is setting in and doing windsprints on icy ground just isn't a good idea. I've heard of some sytems (one of the Russian systems in particular) have techniques to work on anaerobic fitness. The obvious solution to this is just to do it, work on high-intensity workouts, etc. But does anyone have any other methods that they have found to be effective?

Thanks,

Lamont

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to use the forms as an aerobic workout. Using 4,5,& 6 as a hard and intense workout. Just a thought and I know that it works well. For myself just working 5 alone that way 3 times in a row makes you fatigued. I also consider myself in pretty descent shape.

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Zujitsuka posted:
This is a killer my friend. http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml Peace & blessings,

Hey Zu, thanks, that looks good. And if Scrapper likes it, thats a pretty good recommendation, I've run my class into the ground using some of his workout routines.

jfarnsworth posted:
I try to use the forms as an aerobic workout. Using 4,5,& 6 as a hard and intense workout. Just a thought and I know that it works well. For myself just working 5 alone that way 3 times in a row makes you fatigued. I also consider myself in pretty descent shape.

I can do my forms at a pretty fast clip right now, and I'm a little concerned that by punching these forms out as fast as is necessary for me to burn out on them, I will start to get sloppy on them. I don't want my anaerobic training to negate all the hard work I have put into getting decent forms to go out the window. I could go through the motions, but it would blow the timing that is currently set in the forms and techs.

Thanks all, I'm still looking for ideas.

Lamont

E

Elfan

aHve you tried weight lifting? A short (10 minute not counting any warm ups) intense weight lifting session with no breaks between sets might help with that. Not to mention building bigger muscles :-D

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Elfan

aHve you tried weight lifting? A short (10 minute not counting any warm ups) intense weight lifting session with no breaks between sets might help with that. Not to mention building bigger muscles :-D
That's overtraining and isn't the best thing for your cause.

Rest periods are as important as sets and reps.

More rest, more sets, less reps means freakish strength w/o freakish mass.

1 min rest, around 3-4 sets, 6-12 reps means freakish mass w/ less strength gains

E

Elfan

Originally posted by MartialArtist

That's overtraining and isn't the best thing for your cause.

Rest periods are as important as sets and reps.

More rest, more sets, less reps means freakish strength w/o freakish mass.

1 min rest, around 3-4 sets, 6-12 reps means freakish mass w/ less strength gains

First time I'v heard a 10 minute training session described as overtraining. ;-D

*Runs before he starst a weightlifing argument*

M

MartialArtist

No, but you do need some rest, even when circuit training.

What I was really getting at was cardio before and after weight training.

Latest Discussions