An old man beat me up.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
:(. I thought I was made of iron. But I guess not. He asked to spar with me at the gym so I said sure. He blocked everything I did and countered so fast, I couldn't see what he was doing in time to do anything about it.

He told me afterward I need to just keep practicing. That I lost simply because of lack of experience. He said I have lots of power and can one day be very great. Have you guys ever had an experience like this. He beat me, but he did so with lots of respect and humility.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The greatest karate master I have had the pleasure of learning from just turned 70 a few days ago. Even after my 30+ years of training he could still wipe the floor with me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two of my former senseis are in their mid 60's. One of them can no longer kick above his waist. I'm fairly certain both could beat me blindfolded.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK...first define old....

now my taiji sifu is in his 70s and can move me around like a rag doll.... frankly I think it is pretty darn cool.

Meant another man last summer Yiquan/taiji mantis... he was in his 70s, smaller than I am and much MUCH faster.... and I thought that was darn impressive and mighty cool

I still learn a lot from my taiji sifu and I learned a lot from that gentleman last summer too.

It is nothing to be sad about, it is learning, and learning should always be the goal

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy was in his 60's. 63 to be exact. I talked to him and he said he took lots of martial arts and taught judo in Hawaii. He was in the navy and his retired. We happen to go to the same gym and saw me training and asked to spar.

I never seen judo used the way he used it. It seemed more offensive, he was striking a lot and when I failed to keep up I was grappled. I broke it, or I thought I did, he just grabbed me all over again and down to the floor I went. It hurt real bad, I said I think you won. He laughed and helped me up.

From my experiences with Judo they seem to wait for a chance to grapple you or wait for your strike to get you in a lock. He did it nearly the opposite.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This guy was in his 60's. 63 to be exact. I talked to him and he said he took lots of martial arts and taught judo in Hawaii. He was in the navy and his retired. We happen to go to the same gym and saw me training and asked to spar.

I never seen judo used the way he used it. It seemed more offensive, he was striking a lot and when I failed to keep up I was grappled. I broke it, or I thought I did, he just grabbed me all over again and down to the floor I went. It hurt real bad, I said I think you won. He laughed and helped me up.

From my experiences with Judo they seem to wait for a chance to grapple you or wait for your strike to get you in a lock. He did it nearly the opposite.

I thought you said he was old.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess 63 isn't old here. Middle aged?

It's old enough to heal more slowly, but also experienced enough to not care as much about pain anymore, cause it's an old friend that's pretty much permanent. It's old enough to be cautious and wary, but experienced enough to end things brutally and quickly cause long fights are more dangerous to us.

It's old enough to have seen pretty much all the tricks and experienced enough to remember all the holes we had at a younger age.

And when we look in the mirror, we don't see what you see when you look at us. Speaking only for myself, I'm convinced I'm still that guy, only without the self-doubts. Brother, I know who I am and what my limits are. It helps to know what size ring you're fighting in and how much is left in the tank. These things one learns after life has had you by the short and curlies for 50 years or so.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whao dude. That's intense. You guys are awesome and, kind of scary.

I'm just a tired old man...

But if you ever get to see a genuine fight between a younger guy and older guy, it can be kind of funny. Young guys want to do the monkey dance first, bump chests, shout, etc. Old guy doesn't play. If it's on, bam, it's on. No time for posturing. Kick the kd in the wedding tackle and go home.

;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's old enough to heal more slowly, but also experienced enough to not care as much about pain anymore, cause it's an old friend that's pretty much permanent. It's old enough to be cautious and wary, but experienced enough to end things brutally and quickly cause long fights are more dangerous to us.

It's old enough to have seen pretty much all the tricks and experienced enough to remember all the holes we had at a younger age.

And when we look in the mirror, we don't see what you see when you look at us. Speaking only for myself, I'm convinced I'm still that guy, only without the self-doubts. Brother, I know who I am and what my limits are. It helps to know what size ring you're fighting in and how much is left in the tank. These things one learns after life has had you by the short and curlies for 50 years or so.
Good explanation there Bill.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Good explanation there Bill.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The older we get the less likely we are to let go. We have no desire to chase anyone anymore, you kids run too fast. We also like to lecture as we hold on, sometimes in a whisper, punctuating with a flourish and a small grin. The other advantage we have, and use, is we appear so much more sympathetic in court. And we have better lawyers.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Good thing you didn't say in his 50s...or you would have opened up one HECK of a can of whoop.................. :D

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Old guys are tough. We're also stubborn. I walked for two days on a broken fibula judging tournament thinking it was "only a sprain" even though it was snapped in half. And then I sparred with Dussacks (a leather sabre) at the after party that night, with a cane in my other hand, wishing I had a third hand to hold my beer.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's old enough to heal more slowly, but also experienced enough to not care as much about pain anymore, cause it's an old friend that's pretty much permanent.
This. Oh, hell, yes. The classic definition of how you know you're getting older is that almost everything hurts and what doesn't hurt, doesn't work right. :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:(. I thought I was made of iron. But I guess not. He asked to spar with me at the gym so I said sure. He blocked everything I did and countered so fast, I couldn't see what he was doing in time to do anything about it.

He told me afterward I need to just keep practicing. That I lost simply because of lack of experience. He said I have lots of power and can one day be very great. Have you guys ever had an experience like this. He beat me, but he did so with lots of respect and humility.
Ha ha ha. Nope. I've always been smart enough not to think I could beat a martial artist with more experience than me. Especially if that person was old.