An interesting realistic read about M.A.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He isn't suppsoed to be, he is. Black belts only have value within the organisation that awards them, there is no requirement for them to all be of an agreed universal standard. A 5th Dan in one organisation might be the equivilant of a 1st Dan in another.

Just because karate and TKD have no standards doesn't mean that we should accept that they have no standards.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here is how a kata demo should look (idealy);

Clearly not everyone can achieve the level of a pro-team, but that should be the standard.
That's actually a really cool video. Those guys seem very good at kata.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's actually a really cool video. Those guys seem very good at kata.

Yeah, some of those vids are inspiring. Unsu (the kata they were doing) is considered to be one of the hardest and most advanced kata to perform.

Here's another that I like;

Papuren (sp?) is no joke.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an infomercial for Steve Morris website and DVDs...written by the websites administrator.

and he is? I've never heard of him, nor has my instructor or anyone I've asked.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
and he is? I've never heard of him, nor has my instructor or anyone I've asked.

Never heard of him either.

According to his website he was basically a natural at karate and fighting. Honed his skills as a bouncer facing down gangsters and thugs.

Now trains fighters in MMA.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, some of those vids are inspiring. Unsu (the kata they were doing) is considered to be one of the hardest and most advanced kata to perform.

Here's another that I like;

Papuren (sp?) is no joke.
Just because karate and TKD have no standards doesn't mean that we should accept that they have no standards.
it seems you got bored of attacking people with disabilities and now elected to attack karate and tkd as a whole.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it seems you got bored of attacking people with disabilities and now elected to attack karate and tkd as a whole.

I do believe that you calling a group of people "retarded" or "mentally disabled" because they were improperly taught martial arts is far more offensive and insulting than anything I've said in this thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree. Most people have no idea what it takes to be a black belt in any of those. And the main reason bjj might have more respect is the UFC touting bjj for the last 20 years.

Two reasons.

It generally takes longer to get your bjj black.

And a bjj black is a black belt everywhere. So you rock into another school you are a black belt there as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do believe that you calling a group of people "retarded" or "mentally disabled" because they were improperly taught martial arts is far more offensive and insulting than anything I've said in this thread.
retard was the word you chose to use, I said they had " issues". Which they clearly do

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
retard was the word you chose to use, I said they had " issues". Which they clearly do

Yes, and those "issues" would be mental retardation or mentally disabled.

How could they have mental issues when their 9th degree black belt instructor performs techniques exactly the same way as his students? Are you saying that mental disabilities are contagious?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, and those "issues" would be mental retardation or mentally disabled.

How could they have mental issues when their 9th degree black belt instructor performs techniques exactly the same way as his students? Are you saying that mental disabilities are contagious?
you can use all the rude names you like, it just shows you in a bad light
disability covers a wide range of impairments and the kata group clearly have issues with their motor skills

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two reasons.

It generally takes longer to get your bjj black.

And a bjj black is a black belt everywhere. So you rock into another school you are a black belt there as well.

But the majority of the public doesn't know this. And for the most part the public doesn't care either.

And if you earned your black belt....you are a black belt....who cares if another organization recognises it or not, they can pound sand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But the majority of the public doesn't know this. And for the most part the public doesn't care either.

And if you earned your black belt....you are a black belt....who cares if another organization recognises it or not, they can pound sand.

That is the point bjj do care,judo as well. And there is a lot of interaction between clubs.

So I turn up to Eddie bravos school with my WMA 4 stripe white belt. I had better be at that standard.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is the point bjj do care,judo as well. And there is a lot of interaction between clubs.

So I turn up to Eddie bravos school with my WMA 4 stripe white belt. I had better be at that standard.

Well that's where we are different, I don't worry bout that stuff.

I yam what I yam...if someone doesn't like it... oh well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that's where we are different, I don't worry bout that stuff.

I yam what I yam...if someone doesn't like it... oh well.

Yeah but it is not all about you. This is not even my opinion. This is the reasoning behind why bjj black belts are generally more serious black belts than karate or tkd guys.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but it is not all about you. This is not even my opinion. This is the reasoning behind why bjj black belts are generally more serious black belts than karate or tkd guys.

Hold on. I agree bjj black belts are more serious about what they accept.

I was talking about that people in general dont have more respect for bjj black belts than the others.

Latest Discussions