An interesting realistic read about M.A.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would expect advanced students to be "pretty much" in synch yes. But we weren't talking about "pretty much" in synch.

Just FYI; "Pretty much" means within seconds of each other. "Pretty much" should still be in synch.

A black belt in any karate school worth its salt should be able to perform a kata with proper technique, and at the proper speed. If you can't do that, you shouldn't have been awarded a black belt.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Compare a karate or TKD black belt to a Bjj black belt. There's a reason people automatically take the Bjj black belt more seriously than the TKD or Karate black belt. Bjj has a tradition or making obtaining the black belt a difficult process. TKD and Karate? Not so much.

I disagree. Most people have no idea what it takes to be a black belt in any of those. And the main reason bjj might have more respect is the UFC touting bjj for the last 20 years.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said nothing about sport.

Viewers could be anyone from instructors to other students observing during the class or demo.
well things are being done for
We have no evidence that anyone in that video were mentally handicapped, or otherwise disabled in any fashion.

Further, its not a matter of feeling superior, it's a matter of not wanting to see the martial arts devolve into a watered down mass of garbage with little value outside of a brain-dead physical activity. I'm of the belief that everyone doesn't deserve a black belt. Everyone doesn't get to reach an advanced ranking. Sometimes you have to fail in order to show your true character. Handing out belts like candy to everyone that walks through the doors devalues what a black belt symbolizes.

Compare a karate or TKD black belt to a Bjj black belt. There's a reason people automatically take the Bjj black belt more seriously than the TKD or Karate black belt. Bjj has a tradition or making obtaining the black belt a difficult process. TKD and Karate? Not so much.

Those videos highlight why that is the case. You put those poor souls in your typical Bjj school with their skillset and they'll get eaten alive, even against beginner Bjj practitioners.
we have plenty of evidence, you can tell by the way they move they are lacking in normal motor skills. If they should have achieved black belt status is an opinion. People who cant run get medals in the Olympics, but hell you make the rules, so tell them all to stay home and do basket weaving

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree. Most people have no idea what it takes to be a black belt in any of those. And the main reason bjj might have more respect is the UFC touting bjj for the last 20 years.

And I in turn disagree with you. You can get a black belt in many karate and TKD schools in 2-3 years. It can take triple that time to get a black belt in Bjj.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just FYI; "Pretty much" means within seconds of each other. "Pretty much" should still be in synch.
The video you posted was a final Team Kata competition, which is judged in part on the synchronicity of the members of the team. You don't get to the final of such a competition because you finished "within seconds" you get to the final because you finish "pretty much exactly"

However, if you are now moving the goalposts to mean that finishing "within seconds" of each other is acceptable, the video of bad kata you posted , and then criticised in part for beng out of synch, is now acceptable by your new definition as they do indeed finish "with seconds of each other". Within four seconds of each other by my estimate having just re watched the video. Not bad for such a large class, and certainly acceptable within your new parameter of "within sconds".

A black belt in any karate school worth its salt should be able to perform a kata with proper technique, and at the proper speed. If you can't do that, you shouldn't have been awarded a black belt.
I absolutely agree, but that wasn't what was being discussed.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well things are being done for
we have plenty of evidence, you can tell by the way they move they are lacking in normal motor skills. If they should have achieved black belt status is an opinion. People who cant run get medals in the Olympics, but hell you make the rules, so tell them all to stay home and do basket weaving

Laughable. They walked, bowed, ran, and stood just fine. Typically motor skill deficiency stretches beyond just your ability to do karate.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I in turn disagree with you. You can get a black belt in many karate and TKD schools in 2-3 years. It can take triple that time to get a black belt in Bjj.

And it can take that long in some TKD and or Karate Dojos.

You are making broad assumptions.

But the fact is most people don't have a clue about the differences in the styles and/or what the ranks mean.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The video you posted was a final Team Kata competition, which is judged in part on the synchronicity of the members of the team. You don't get to the final of such a competition because you finished "within seconds" you get to the final because you finish "pretty much exactly"

However, if you are now moving the goalposts to mean that finishing "within seconds" of each other is acceptable, the video of bad kata you posted , and then criticised in part for beng out of synch, is now acceptable by your new definition as they do indeed finish "with seconds of each other". Within four seconds of each other by my estimate having just re watched the video. Not bad for such a large class, and certainly acceptable within your new parameter of "within sconds".

Are you being disagreeable for the sake of disagreement here? I said that the reason they're out of synch is because the majority of them were doing improper technique. I also said that their lack of technique is a bigger concern than them being out of synch.

I absolutely agree, but that wasn't what was being discussed.

Wrong. What is being discussed is poor instruction. Those qualities I mentioned come from proper instruction.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Laughable. They walked, bowed, ran, and stood just fine. Typically motor skill deficiency stretches beyond just your ability to do karate.
it not that they can walk, its how they walk and move, they don't have special stickers to make it easy for you

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you being disagreeable for the sake of disagreement here? I said that the reason they're out of synch is because the majority of them were doing improper technique. I also said that their lack of technique is a bigger concern than them being out of synch.

Wrong. What is being discussed is poor instruction. Those qualities I mentioned come from proper instruction.
well why do you keep harping on about them being out of sync if it doesn't matter

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it not that they can walk, its how they walk and move, they don't have special stickers to make it easy for you

So your argument is that that entire class of students have some sort of mental impairment?

Do you have any evidence to support this? My evidence is that they move and behave just fine until they actually start doing martial arts.

Your turn.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
we have plenty of evidence, you can tell by the way they move they are lacking in normal motor skills.

Videos of the school's founder show the same level of poor technique:

Also there is no mention anywhere on their website or any of their videos of anyone in their entire school being mentally handicapped in any way.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also there is no mention anywhere on their website or any of their videos of anyone in their entire school being mentally handicapped in any way.

Good lord... That guy is supposed to be a 9th degree black belt.

What a sham!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So your argument is that that entire class of students have some sort of mental impairment?

Do you have any evidence to support this? My evidence is that they move and behave just fine until they actually start doing martial arts.

Your turn.
it blattent obvious for all but the deeply delusional to see, people don't move like that kata demo unless they have issues

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you being disagreeable for the sake of disagreement here?
No, I am disagreeing with your perceived requirement of synchronicity, in part because you have now changed your definition of said synchronicity which means they are, by your new definition (within seconds) not out of synch. They all finish within 2 seconds of each other, apart from one guy who is a couple of seconds behind that. An approx. total of four seconds, acceptable for such a large group IMO.

I said that the reason they're out of synch is because the majority of them were doing improper technique.
Yes you did, and I not disagreeing with the quality of their technique, which is indeed poor.

Are
I also said that their lack of technique is a bigger concern than them being out of synch.
You did, and I did not disagree with that. I have made no comment on the quality of their technique, I am only discussing being in synch.

Wrong, we are discussing synchronicity.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks now I am addicted to watching WMAA videos on YouTube. :D

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good lord... That guy is supposed to be a 9th degree black belt.

What a sham!
He isn't suppsoed to be, he is. Black belts only have value within the organisation that awards them, there is no requirement for them to all be of an agreed universal standard. A 5th Dan in one organisation might be the equivilant of a 1st Dan in another.

Latest Discussions