An interesting realistic read about M.A.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say yes.

The only way an entire group of people end up like that is poor teaching and low standards. Better quality instruction leads to better quality results.

Here's another example (and I think it's the same school);

Again, that's what happens when you get piss-poor instruction.
Agreed, on all points. And I think one of the guys in the middle is actually the main character in the first video.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how a kata demo should look (idealy);

Clearly not everyone can achieve the level of a pro-team, but that should be the standard.
I'll just say that any group demo of a kata should be focused on getting everyone in sync, rather than speed. Otherwise, why bother with the group?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kicking height isn't the issue, at all. Could they get better with good instruction? Without a doubt. I've seen too many examples of uncoordinated people becoming competent to accept that people are irretrievable simply because they start out badly.
yea but you give out belts to people who haven't reached the standard you your self set, as they "deserve it. "Those two stances are not compatable. If every one can improve with good teaching, stop giving belts out and teach them so they actually deserve them

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll just say that any group demo of a kata should be focused on getting everyone in sync, rather than speed. Otherwise, why bother with the group?
why, that just teaching them sync dancing, an ability to do kata in time with others is of absolutely no use at all, unless you are entering sync kata contests

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea but you give out belts to people who haven't reached the standard you your self set, as they "deserve it. "Those two stances are not compatable. If every one can improve with good teaching, stop giving belts out and teach them so they actually deserve them
Nope. You still don't get it, and I'm not going to keep explaining it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why, that just teaching them sync dancing, an ability to do kata in time with others is of absolutely no use at all, unless you are entering sync kata contests
And what other reason would there be to show a group of people demonstrating the same kata at the same time? Learning to synchronize with a group isn't entirely useless, especially if you're going to use group exercises.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. You still don't get it, and I'm not going to keep explaining it.
I suspect that's because you are being very judgemental of this group whilst applying a complete different standard to your own teaching

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And what other reason would there be to show a group of people demonstrating the same kata at the same time? Learning to synchronize with a group isn't entirely useless, especially if you're going to use group exercises.
I suspect doing it all together cuts down on the time considerably, but tell me more about how. Doing a sync dance helps with the actual business of using your karate skills,

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You'll never find someone more opposed to kata practice than myself. However, if your school is teaching you kata, then poor technical aptitude in kata (among black belts no less) is a clear sign that your school isn't good. That is the real problem; The poor technical ability showcased.

Their technique was poor and that shows poor discipline and low standards. Them not being able to remain in synch (and again these are black belts) is simply icing on the poop cake.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'll never find someone more opposed to kata practice than myself. However, if your school is teaching you kata, then poor technical aptitude in kata (among black belts no less) is a clear sign that your school isn't good. That is the real problem; The poor technical ability showcased.

Their technique was poor and that shows poor discipline and low standards. Them not being able to remain in synch (and again these are black belts) is simply icing on the poop cake.
so your whole complaint is based around them not being able to do a syn dance, but based on nothing more than yourassumption that is supposed to be in sinc

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so your whole complaint is based around them not being able to do a syn dance, but based on nothing more than yourassumption that is supposed to be in sinc

Can you read? I said that the MAIN issue was that the technique was poor. Them not being in synch was simply more indication of a variety of problems with their instruction.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd say yes.

The only way an entire group of people end up like that is poor teaching and low standards. Better quality instruction leads to better quality results.

Here's another example (and I think it's the same school);

Again, that's what happens when you get piss-poor instruction.
It is the same school, they are probably the worst example of a martial art I have ever seen:

World Martial Arts Association | About

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you read? I said that the MAIN issue was that the technique was poor. Them not being in synch was simply more indication of a variety of problems with their instruction.
how exactly have you determined that they are supposed to be in sync

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Apparently that doesn't matter.

Usually you want to be in sync so that it is easier for viewers to see the actual techniques

Being out of sync makes it look chaotic and hard for the viewers eyes to follow.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

When you're doing the same kata at the same time, you're supposed to all end at the same time. When you have black belts doing poor technique, avoiding techniques altogether, losing balance, and going through the motions it shows a lack of discipline and standards because black belts are supposed to understand this, and have enough self respect to not look like an embarrassment to their school and their art.

his bio says he has set up many community based martial arts programs to help the under privileged ( read disabled) to gain confidence. And here you lot are mocking them for their accomplishment's

Underprivileged does not mean disabled. Underpriviledged usually means economically disadvantaged, and there's plenty of Karate schools in poor areas of the country that would run circles around these guys.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently that doesn't matter.

Usually you want to be in sync so that it is easier for viewers to see the actual techniques

Being out of sync makes it look chaotic and hard for the viewers eyes to follow.
yes but its not being done as a spectator sport,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you're doing the same kata at the same time, you're supposed to all end at the same time. When you have black belts doing poor technique, avoiding techniques altogether, losing balance, and going through the motions it shows a lack of discipline and standards because black belts are supposed to understand this, and have enough self respect to not look like an embarrassment to their school and their art.

Underprivileged does not mean disabled.
it can indeed mean that, it just a Pc way of saying it. Would you feel bad if you had been mocking people with a disability?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Underprivileged does not mean disabled. Underpriviledged usually means economically disadvantaged, and there's plenty of Karate schools in poor areas of the country that would run circles around these guys.

so you have just made. Up a rule that the kata must finish ay the same time, just you and every one has to comply

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so you have just made. Up a rule that the kata must finish ay the same time, just you and every one has to comply

Again READ what I said. If multiple black belts are doing the same kata, they're supposed to start and end at the same time. If you're doing the techniques correctly, there's no reason you shouldn't be ending at the same time.

Once more, poor technique leads to the problems we're seeing in those videos. Poor instruction led to that poor technique.

it can indeed mean that, it just a Pc way of saying it. Would you feel bad if you had been mocking people with a disability?

No, disabled IS the PC term. The un-PC term is "retard" or "cripple". Underprivileged almost always means poor. There's plenty of disabled people who come from affluent households.

I would never mock someone with a disability. However, it is highly doubtful that everyone in that video has a mental disability.

Latest Discussions