American Taekwondo Association

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
R.

Taekyun is the oldest form of martial arts which is actually traceable save for perhaps Sorim or Bulmudo. Taekyun although oftentimes quoted as being the root of TKD is not. I have seen it performed by the Korea Taekyun Association and to be honest, it reminds me somewhere between dance and a seriously brutal game of hackey sack. This is not to say that it is not effective... I would certainly hate to be kicked by one of those boys or girls.

TKD evolved with one exception, from either Shudokan or Shotokan. One, I'm thinking KangDukKwan, and I will verify this later today, was said to be from Ch'uanFa. I have a chart somewhere that shows which of the Five original kwans was founded by who and what the alleged root was.

Let me know what else you find in your research. I love discussing this aspect of Mudo. It is usually educational for both parties :)

D

Disco

Was this a permanent move for you? Have you found anything to your liking (martial arts wise) yet? Wishing you good fortune and health.
:asian:

D

Disco

:) But I'm glad that you are also back. You have a time frame for when you are going back to the far east?
:asian:

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This move may be permanent for me. I am currently training at the National Wushu Training Center. I can't say I'm that interested in Wushu, but I am very interested in furthering my Taijiquan knowledge. I do not know if you are aware, but I also practice TSD, and will be furthering my knowledge of this art under Pak, Ho-Sik. For you "Best of the Best" fans, he was the Korean who planted his elbow in Virgil's, the Buddhist, back.

Damian, please have a safe trip to the Orient. Bring me back a couple of souvenirs... female about 5 foot or so... j/k Seriously ,have a good trip.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Disco, I missed Kodanjaclay mentioning he was moving oops.

I'll be moving to Thailand Dec. 1st this year. I won't be able to bring you back any wives any time soon Kodanjaclay as I'll be staying there permanently unless things go horribly wrong, sorry... heh. But your welcome to come pick them up at your earliest convenience!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

S

Spud

Very interesting discussion here. I earned by 1st Dan in ATA in 1992. I let my training idle for 10 years and have restarted in the ATA. My instructor (and ATA) recognize my earlier rank regardless of 10 years of inactivity and no annual dues.

The ATA seems to provide a very structured franchise program for their school owners with a fairly complete business model and the business/marketing training to operate a financially successful school. (my observation as a student, not a instructor/owner).

I share some concerns about schools being belt-factories and the focus being on the business end instead of training. I think that is the exception and not the rule. But the emphasis on business can set up that scenario.

I’m looking forward to participating in these forums. The discussions seem to be well focused and respectful.