American TaeKwonDo Association...

S

ShaolinWolf

Who here takes Songahm TaeKwonDo? And under which organization? STF, WTTU, or ATA? (yeah, I know they are basically one and the same, just asking what's on the back of your uniform...)

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I went throught the ranks and got a 2nd Dan, so I could see the difference between ATA and my original WTF training. I moved up relatively fast because I already held Dan rank in WTF, and this made it easy to perform all the required techniques. Along with that, most of the ATA Masters I studied under, were ex-WTF Instructors anyways, so I was able to adapt easily to the Songahm style. One good thing about ATA I must say, the Songahm forms are more challenging than the Pyong-An and Taegeuk (let us not forget the Palgue) forms IMHO. Since those days my membership has long expired, because I'm not a continual participating member.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am a current student and a club owner of the ATA. 11 years with the organization and I hold the rank of 2nd degree. No, I didn't take any time off. Yes, I know that is a long time in the organization to only be a 2nd degree.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Yeah, well, there happen to be some instances that testings take a longer time to get there between belts or other things the prevent us from moving up quickly. I know 2nd degrees that got there in 6-7 years and I know some who got there in 8-11 years. No biggie. The one's that took 8-11 years were way better than the ones that took 6-7. I think ATA moves people up in Ranks pretty quick, and sometimes, for some people, it's too quick.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do agree that the ATA promotes some people too quickly. It gets frusterating sometimes when I see some 4th degrees whom I have been in the Martial arts and the ATA longer than. Of course, that isn't as bad as some of the 9 year old 2nd degrees I see. Some of them do deserve their rank. Some of those kids are better technicians than a lot of adults and they could beat the snot out of kids their own age, but come on, I have been in the martial arts longer than they have been alive and they are the same rank as me!

OP
N

NW Boiler

1st Dan Songahm TKD guy here, member of the ATA..... I think what is important here is this............

One only gets out of TKD what they are willing to take, regardless of style. I believe that this is a personal journey and I think it is sad that becuase some folks have personal issues, that they push those opinions on others. Just MHO

Vince Mitchell

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One only gets out of TKD what they are willing to take, regardless of style. I believe that this is a personal journey and I think it is sad that becuase some folks have personal issues, that they push those opinions on others. Just MHO
I totally agree that people get what they are willing to take and that it is a personal journey since TKD is an individual activity, BUT there is something to be said for standards. I have seen a couple of testings at certain ATA schools and witnessed people who passed their testing that would've failed under no uncertain conditions at other ATA schools.

In these cases, the journey was a walk across the street in broad daylight with no traffic.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

yep...that happens at alot of ATA schools. All depends on the Senior instructor...

OP
N

NW Boiler

In no way am I saying that what you all describe does not happen! But I am positive that each and every Organization or style has at least one bad apple!

I thank you all for your thoughts!

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

I am currently a member of the ATA. I hold the rank of 1st Dan and have just received that rank about two months ago. I have been a member of the ATA for 2 years and have witnessed the following Pros and Cons;

Cons:
1. Too many school owners allowing underserved promotion.
2. Too many school owners milking students for money.
3. Rules allowed to be bent for certain "high ranking" schools.
4. Not enough discipline within some schools.
5. State point system too much in favor for those with the money to spend.

Pros:
1. You get out of it what you put in-work hard; earned well.
2. Better opportunity for business propositions.
3. Wide veriety of different certifications available.
4. Opportunity to compete against a HUGE veriety of students under a common set of rules.

I remain in this because I work hard for what I have. I can easily say that I bust my rear just as hard, or harder as any other student of any rank in our school. I know my limitations physically. I know my strong points and what I really need to work on. I spend countless hours, alone in the school, working on ALL my forms, one-steps, sparring, and even color belt free styles that I have come up with. This is my warm up before I really work on Shimjun and the weapons required (single bahng mahng ee & single ssahng jeol bahng). Everything I have from the ATA I have truly earned... hands down. And anyone who wants to say differently... Well, I guess you'll just have to let your words fall on deaf ears.
The bottom line is... There are good things and bad things.. What I may think is a con of the ATA, there may be someone who thinks its a pro.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
I do agree that the ATA promotes some people too quickly. It gets frusterating sometimes when I see some 4th degrees whom I have been in the Martial arts and the ATA longer than. Of course, that isn't as bad as some of the 9 year old 2nd degrees I see. Some of them do deserve their rank. Some of those kids are better technicians than a lot of adults and they could beat the snot out of kids their own age, but come on, I have been in the martial arts longer than they have been alive and they are the same rank as me!
13 yrs in Chung Do Kwon TKD. 2nd dan, getting ready for my 3rd dan. Don't feel bad about 11 years, just makes you better. I commend you for training for such a long period of time and not trying to climb the ranks too fast.

Latest Discussions