American Soldier also a Hero

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Grandfather was is North Africa in WW2. He tells the story of being friendly with the Gurkha's, no issues, but one of the Sgts was a racist *** and gave them a hardtime all the time, riding them at every chance. One morning the Sgt never showed up for parade, so someone went to find him, he was still in bed with his throat cut wide open.
We would just put up with the BS, they end the BS.

People can be very patronising about them, I find it quite annoying that some Army officers treat them like kids but they usually get their own back. Never mistake their politeness for weakness, they can be very savage in their reprisals. They don't speak the same language, there's about 13 different languages so questioning them is a nightmare if they don't want to be asked about anything. Their English can be non existant too then.
Many have had hard lives back in Nepal before they joined up,it can make life seem cheap. Places are limited in the Gurkha regiments both the British and the Indian so competition is fierce. There's quite a lot of things that go on but stays in the regiment even more so that other Army regiments.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't be silly, the Gurkhas I'm referring to are the instructors at the Infantry Training Centre here in Catterick Garrison who I train with in TKD which I did say and as usual you didn't read. My shift partner is a Gurkha and as we do long shifts we spend a lot of time chatting.
It's a matter of perception, the word badass here is used by teenagers who have their jeans hanging round their knees and their hoods up over their heads playing hard. It's used by chavs dressed in Burberry to express delight when some kid is beaten up so yeah anyone here would be chuffed to be called a badass. The Gurkhas are taught English, the Queen's English not American English, *** is what we call **** so no it doesn't sound nice to them. Think of the differences in the perception of words used by Americans and the English such as fag, fanny, rubber etc. it's a cultural perception and the word badass isn't one of the words that immediately strikes most non American English speakers as being a polite word.
It's politic not to upset them, a British officer did a while back when they were stationed in Hong Kong, the Gurkhas rigged a hand grenade in his desk drawer and he was blown up.

Such is the fame of the Gurkhas one only needs to say the word 'Gurkha', it's self explanitory, you don't need American slang to describe such brave soldiers you just say he's a Gurkha!

Yes, I was just being flippant. I think Americanisms permeate into UK society through the media and I can see Gurkhas being far too polite to consider themselves 'bad-asses'. My step father was stationed at Catterick Garrison in the late 70s. He told me that 'casual dress' to the Gurkhas was regimental blazer with slacks. He said that they were the most polite people he ever met, but at the same time tough as nails.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was just being flippant. I think Americanisms permeate into UK society through the media and I can see Gurkhas being far too polite to consider themselves 'bad-asses'. My step father was stationed at Catterick Garrison in the late 70s. He told me that 'casual dress' to the Gurkhas was regimental blazer with slacks. He said that they were the most polite people he ever met, but at the same time tough as nails.

It's not just their being polite, they translate English words literally, they don't get the nuances in English so bad *** comes out as not being something good to be. The politeness can be a barrier too as they keep themselves very private but the men are good at flirting lol. All Gurkhas are very bad drivers though. You take your life in hands when doing access control duties.
Casual dress for trained soldiers is now whatever they want but the new recruits that have come straight from Nepal wear a casual 'uniform' of black trousers, white shirts, tie, black blazer and/or a grey v necked jumper. They look like schoolboys when they are shopping out etc. The Gurkhas at Catterick would have been Signals guys in the 70's, the ITC where they train the recruits wasn't here until quite recently.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it possible to start a whole new thread about the Gurkhas if we're not going to focus on the American soldier in the OP?

Geez make one passing reference and a whole new can of worms opens up.

Would it help if I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended even if they're NOT Gurkhas and seem to bear their sensitivities on their shoulders?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to start a whole new thread about the Gurkhas if we're not going to focus on the American soldier in the OP?

Geez make one passing reference and a whole new can of worms opens up.

Would it help if I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended even if they're NOT Gurkhas and seem to bear their sensitivities on their shoulders?

Was anyone offended? No I wasn't, don't think anyone else was. I mentioned them in passing, my main point was that you'd mentioned propaganda etc which I picked up on. A couple of people chose to make a personal point about me, as you are and so the Gurkha thing went on. I wasn't saying anyone was offended I was pointing out that like using the N word for black people one shouldn't call them what they consider as 'names'. Merely that, as it was mentioned to me, I passed it on. Cultural differences can sometimes mean we use words we consider fine but others don't. I thought that you wouldn't want to inadvertently make a faux pas so I mentioned it, so guys get over it and stop thinking I have hidden agendas or am 'sensitive', trust me I have the hide of a rhino.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was anyone offended? No I wasn't, don't think anyone else was. I mentioned them in passing, my main point was that you'd mentioned propaganda etc which I picked up on. A couple of people chose to make a personal point about me, as you are and so the Gurkha thing went on. I wasn't saying anyone was offended I was pointing out that like using the N word for black people one shouldn't call them what they consider as 'names'. Merely that, as it was mentioned to me, I passed it on. Cultural differences can sometimes mean we use words we consider fine but others don't. I thought that you wouldn't want to inadvertently make a faux pas so I mentioned it, so guys get over it and stop thinking I have hidden agendas or am 'sensitive', trust me I have the hide of a rhino.
Well that's good to know, honestly.
I didn't think I was making a faux pas and if I did it wasn't intentional of course but then it understanding cultural differences alright... as long as BOTH SIDES understand the differences. If a Gurkha was to read all of this and be offended by being referred to as a "bad-***" then I think it's their responsibility to look it up to make sure it wasn't intended as an insult before taking offense.
Besides I'm sure if you ask them, they probably got their own descriptive terminology for the same thing. Even THEY would admire a man (their own or not) who faces down terrific odds and comes out of it alive.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not just their being polite, they translate English words literally, they don't get the nuances in English so bad *** comes out as not being something good to be. The politeness can be a barrier too as they keep themselves very private but the men are good at flirting lol. All Gurkhas are very bad drivers though. You take your life in hands when doing access control duties.
Casual dress for trained soldiers is now whatever they want but the new recruits that have come straight from Nepal wear a casual 'uniform' of black trousers, white shirts, tie, black blazer and/or a grey v necked jumper. They look like schoolboys when they are shopping out etc. The Gurkhas at Catterick would have been Signals guys in the 70's, the ITC where they train the recruits wasn't here until quite recently.

QFT! My step father was a 'scaley' for a while. He enjoyed his friendship with Gurkhas and maintained those friendships over the years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's good to know, honestly.
I didn't think I was making a faux pas and if I did it wasn't intentional of course but then it understanding cultural differences alright... as long as BOTH SIDES understand the differences. If a Gurkha was to read all of this and be offended by being referred to as a "bad-***" then I think it's their responsibility to look it up to make sure it wasn't intended as an insult before taking offense.
Besides I'm sure if you ask them, they probably got their own descriptive terminology for the same thing. Even THEY would admire a man (their own or not) who faces down terrific odds and comes out of it alive.

Yeah they probably would but they know the whole story, you might be surprised because a lot of the story wasn't told ( do you really think he was the only one on guard and everyone else was asleep when the insurgents attacked?) so they aren't saying much, I told you they are closed mouthed about things but they aren't taking the pleasure in this that you would assume they should.

It's not that my shift partner took offence, he was puzzled more by why a Gurkha or anyone not a bad person would be called a bad ***. As I said if English is your fourth language, misunderstandings are common and looking things up are are liable to make things more complicated, trust me on this one. My shift partner's reports are a joy to read, they are extremely idiosyncratic.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In re: "propaganda."

Sure, it could be used that way, but what the guy did was extraordinary, and caught on film. That he may have been able to behave as he did with such a calm demeanor is, of course, due to his military experience, and that's part of the story, but, just as there are stories about people who have never taken a martial art lesson disarming gunmen....almost regularly- someone who wasn't in the military might have taken the same actions, especially in regards to their children (liked how they listened to him, too!)

Tez3 said:
It's not that my shift partner took offence, he was puzzled more by why a Gurkha or anyone not a bad person would be called a bad ***.

And, of course, you explained that "badass" is good, right? :lfao:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In re: "propaganda."

Sure, it could be used that way, but what the guy did was extraordinary, and caught on film. That he may have been able to behave as he did with such a calm demeanor is, of course, due to his military experience, and that's part of the story, but, just as there are stories about people who have never taken a martial art lesson disarming gunmen....almost regularly- someone who wasn't in the military might have taken the same actions, especially in regards to their children (liked how they listened to him, too!)

And, of course, you explained that "badass" is good, right? :lfao:

Well, I tried but it started going a bit weird you know lol, we got into bums and things and yes I know that bums to you are tramps but they are backsides to us! Ever seen an Gurkha blush?

On the subject of propaganda, the Gurkha story is a very good example of that.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I tried but it started going a bit weird you know lol, we got into bums and things and yes I know that bums to you are tramps but they are backsides to us! Ever seen an Gurkha blush?

On the subject of propaganda, the Gurkha story is a very good example of that.

Tomorrow you can try to explain to him that 'sick' can be the outmost praise one (surfer or skater) can bestow upon a person. :D

Latest Discussions