Take down your opponent during his weight shifting

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can force your opponent to shift weight from one leg to another, when his weight is on one leg, if you trip/sweep/hook that leg, he will fall.

Here is one example. You hook your opponent's left leg, when he lifts up that leg, you scoop his right leg while it has 100% of his weight.

If you apply this strategy, you can create many combo to achieve that goal. What's your opinion on this strategy?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy taking the fall needs to learn how to fall without hitting his head...

I think Judo teaches a combo like that: o uchi gari and ko uchi gari. Start with either, then switch back and forth. I have seen other variations, where they switch to uchi mata from ko uchi gari (that one is actually quite fun).

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have always said that if you know where your opponent will be next, you got him. Doesn't matter if it is a sweep or another technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can force your opponent to shift weight from one leg to another, when his weight is on one leg, if you trip/sweep/hook that leg, he will fall.

Here is one example. You hook your opponent's left leg, when he lifts up that leg, you scoop his right leg while it has 100% of his weight.

If you apply this strategy, you can create many combo to achieve that goal. What's your opinion on this strategy?

IMO, a lot of "aiki" training is about getting a feel for weight shifts and weight commitment, so it can be recognized early and used. It's a different version of what you're talking about here, as most aiki techniques (or aiki application of technique) require this in a more absolute fashion. Judo uses some of the same, but with less reliance on finesse (for one thing, they're okay with inducing the step rather than waiting for one).

In short, I agree - this exists in different ways in a lot of arts, and is a major principle for grappling. Failure to apply this principle accounts for a lot of the failures of relatively new students to be able to execute technique.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you bop’m just right while he’s regaining balance you’ll knock him to the ground with little effort.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Video is unavailable. Definitely a good strategy described though. Also if they're kicking you, they'll have their weight on one leg, and you may be able to force them to fall by moving out the way and shifting their leg further than they intended. (I did this before in real situation, person did fall)

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Video is unavailable. Definitely a good strategy described though. Also if they're kicking you, they'll have their weight on one leg, and you may be able to force them to fall by moving out the way and shifting their leg further than they intended. (I did this before in real situation, person did fall)

Gum Sao?

Latest Discussions