Any former American Combat Karate students here?

Tony Pascarella

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied under Sensei Barathy and Renshi McCaffrey at RAB's back in the early 80s. I was barely 12 years old but it was part of the best time in my life. Im considering getting back into MA (even though im 43 and will be starting over) and my friend who studied under Kyoshi (?) Finnigan, a former ACK instructor, suggested Tai Zen, more strictly a defensive style as opposed to ACK which was more aggresive. What do you guys (and girls) think? Ive researched this method/style and im getting such limited information.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First welcome to the forum.
Sorry can not suggest a school for you not real familiar with Tai Zen

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

I started in American Combat Karate, but it wasn't the same organization as Mister Barathy's. We were in Massachusetts. I met him several times at tournaments and was in a breaking division with him once (probably 74). I think he got a kick out of us having the same words on our patch. He taught me about doing flame breaks, I had never considered it before then. He was a really nice man. And he was all kinds of fast.

OP
T

Tony Pascarella

White Belt
Reaction score
That is great. I was really hoping to speak to some people on this forum that remembered the style or instructors from it. Yes he was extremely fast and him and his instructors always seemed as if their feet were cemented to the ground with such great balance. When he made an appearance during a class it was like a god walked in. I hate to sound corny like that but when youre 12-13 and dedicated it WAS like that. He as well as his instructors got the utmost respect at all times.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is great. I was really hoping to speak to some people on this forum that remembered the style or instructors from it. Yes he was extremely fast and him and his instructors always seemed as if their feet were cemented to the ground with such great balance. When he made an appearance during a class it was like a god walked in. I hate to sound corny like that but when youre 12-13 and dedicated it WAS like that. He as well as his instructors got the utmost respect at all times.
This is Grandmaster Matt Willing. I was a chiefinstructor for American Combat Karate and Taught in both Lynbrook and Huntington schools. I was also Chief instructor at my Tai-Zen School in Huntington From 1995 to 2005. I now have a school called American nihon Jiu-Jitsu on Jericho turnpike in Huntington. You are welcome down anytime and I can show you the differences including the advances that have been made in my system. Text me at 631-796-1474. It would be great to hear from you.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is Grandmaster Matt Willing. I was a chiefinstructor for American Combat Karate and Taught in both Lynbrook and Huntington schools. I was also Chief instructor at my Tai-Zen School in Huntington From 1995 to 2005. I now have a school called American nihon Jiu-Jitsu on Jericho turnpike in Huntington. You are welcome down anytime and I can show you the differences including the advances that have been made in my system. Text me at 631-796-1474. It would be great to hear from you.
For more information you can contact my website
if you would like more information you can check out my website American Nihon Jiu-Jitsu | Self Defense- The Right Way

Latest Discussions