am i to old

evil

White Belt
Reaction score
my son just started muay thai.i was thinking to take lessons with him. im 39 and in pretty good shape.think im to old .

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ian Mckellan, who is 68 or so, has started taking Muay Thai lessons. Age should not be an excuse for bettering yourself.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Give it a try and see if it is for you.
icon6.gif

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At 39 your still a child to some I have seen start at a much, much older age

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're never too old! Give it a shot! :)

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're not too old at all.

At the dojo, we have a lady who started when she was in her mid 40's, and she passed her shodan exam late last year. What started out as her training because her kids were in the program, ended up being a benefit for everyone, since she serves as a great source of inspiration to the others.

One of our instructors here started when he was 71 years old. He trained hard, and is still training to this date, as well as filling in as an instructor as needed, at the young age of 77. Never understimate him, since he has fantastic timing with his punches, and knows how to read people like so many books.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are NEVER to old...I didn't start formal training until my early 30's..I got serious in my 40's and the desire to learn has not stopped yet..Embrace your training and keep us posted...

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Puh-LEASE!!!!!

Father Time is parked in my driveway, the AARP has my number on speed-dial ready to pounce in another two years, and if you don't start training NOW I might just have to come down there! :wink:

Don't you DARE worry about 'being too old' - training (regular physical activity, weight-bearing exercises, aerobic health, social interaction with others, setting and achieving goals) is one thing that will help keep you young.

Two years ago at our dojang, we had a student pass his first black belt test - at 72 years of age.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are not too old. It is never too late to either get healthier, or to learn something. And, even at your age, you can learn to use the shift key.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are never too old to start... but you won't get any younger worrying about it, either! Enjoy - and especially enjoy sharing this with your son.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Despite the OP being suspended, I just wanted to say "Great responses" to everyone :rei:.

Anyone who sees this thread will definitely take away the right message.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Listen Kiddo what everyone else said... I agree wholeheartedly.

Besides you really DON'T want Ninjamom to come down there. So be a Nike commercial and just do it!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will you be any younger next year? Or next week?

So why not give it a shot today?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you are never too old to exercise. you are never too old to learn. You are most certainly never too old to have fun.

martial arts practice is all these things and more.

just do it

PS
how does someone's account get suspended after one post and less than 24 hours....

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PS
how does someone's account get suspended after one post and less than 24 hours....

Sometimes people's accounts get suspended because they fail to fill out the appropriate information for membership.

Now back to the original question of the thread. I think the consensus here thus far is you are never too old. :)

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like everyone says. You are not too old. So stop making excuses and get your butt in the gym and start training. :) That's an order !! I wish you the best of luck in your training. Go get em !!!

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think that you are afraid of Muay Thai because of the training that professional fighters do in Thailand. I doubt it is that intense. If you are concerned ask your son's instructor.

I am sure you can do it and it will be something great to share with your son. If you like it maybe you can get your wife to eventually train too.

Good luck.

Regards,
Steve

Latest Discussions