Alternating body building and martial arts

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's fair. I'd agree with you in all that. I don't know enough about competitive bodybuilding to state if it's that intrinsic so I'll take your word for it. Even with that though, the initial OP stated that OP wants to do bodybuilding but also wants to do martial arts. To me that suggests he/she's not got that foundational knowledge yet. It would be like someone saying they want to do jujitsu, but also want to do (something I can't think of that involves shins), and warning them about shin/footburns. Anyone within the sport already knows that those are things and how to deal with it if needed, but it's a surprise and useful info for those still looking into it.
Which is the only reason I brought it up. :) If I thought the OP knew it, I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it. If you go back and look at my initial post in this exchange, it's basically a comment to the effect of, "Hey, you may not know this, but competitive body building and martial arts may not be compatible... and here's why."

Again, not addressing the rest about whether or not average competitive bodybuilders do/don't know that, or any assumptions that have been made that they do/don't. So not addressing this line: "You wouldn't expect someone to say, well, there are some well informed jiu jitiero out there, and some who are less informed."

Since I've got no clue how accurate the comparison is for bodybuilding. Just stating how it relates to the OP as important information for him to know. Beyond that and further arguments I can't really say much.
Okay.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which is the only reason I brought it up. :) If I thought the OP knew it, I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it. If you go back and look at my initial post in this exchange, it's basically a comment to the effect of, "Hey, you may not know this, but competitive body building and martial arts may not be compatible... and here's why."
Honestly I can't remember where this exchange started/how it developed to where it did. :confused: Might go back tonight and reread it from the beginning to see, if I don't get distracted by something more pressing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well said and equally applies to MA. I personally don't agree 100% as I think if the self-defense aspect of MA is abandoned in favor of its other benefits, MA as a traditional art is degraded. That's just my opinion. But while bodybuilding is not designed for pure strength building, a bodybuilder is still stronger than one who does not weight train at all.
For sure. Interestingly, one of the ironies of the sport is that when they look the strongest (i.e., when they are actually competing), they are probably extremely dehydrated, running on an extremely low body/fat %, and are at their lowest point for functional performance. But damn, they look strong.

So it is with MA. While one may not get into it and train for its fighting skills, but for the various other benefits, they will still be better off than most untrained people in a self-defense situation. Even soccer mom boxing gym classes will give some SD benefit to them.

(My main goal in weight training for the past few years was simply to stay physically functional into my 70's and hopefully 80's. But as I said earlier, my karate also greatly benefited.)

I think the key is to understand exactly the limitations and benefits of how you undertake the activity, so the choice is really a choice, and not the result of marketing or ignorance. That way you go into it with your eyes open with no misconception of what you are accomplishing. The individual's choice may differ from ours, but we all have unique goals that for us are a priority.
Agreed. Making decisions based on sound information. I mentioned French fries in another thread. Not only were they tastier in the 70s and 80s, they were also better for you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Honestly I can't remember where this exchange started/how it developed to where it did. :confused: Might go back tonight and reread it from the beginning to see, if I don't get distracted by something more pressing.
I'll save you the trouble. I made a comment about how there could be a conflict if someone really wants to excel in competitive bodybuilding.
Could be in conflict if you really want to excel in competitive bodybuilding, and actively don’t want to develop some muscle groups. Active neglect vs passive neglect. It’s like when guys skip leg day on purpose because they are pursuing the triangular look of a jacked upper body and scrawny legs. Not saying it’s healthy. But it is a thing. :)

Just because I'm irritated, I'll say that what perturbs me is that I haven't really disagreed with Gerry at any point, but try telling him that and you'll get a virtual finger wag.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
1634785995610.png

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even soccer mom boxing gym classes will give some SD benefit to them.
I suppose the operative word here is 'some'. How that translates into any useful SD benefits would be interesting to see. Not sure how much context is being given in these types of classes and how much useful repetition there is to make any of the movements useful in an SD situation but I suppose it soccer mom's will at least be in better shape than if they were not doing that activity at all. I would only hope that the gym or class wouldn't claim that the movements would adequately prepare anyone for anything other than a scuffle at a Macy's bargain basement sale but I suppose there are a spectrum of these types of classes and some are better than others in the program they provide.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Quick question, i want to do bodybuilding but i also want to do martial arts, theres a martial arts gym that offers classes every day that alternate between boxing and grappling, normally i work out monday to friday targeting different muscle groups each day so i was wondering should i do one week of gym and one week of martial arts or two weeks of gym and then two weeks of martial arts in terms of alternating because i know the martial arts sessions will be mainly cardio intensive, please answer thank you
yeah a typical bro split... if the volume is high enough it will work. I suggest a shorter HIIT type weight training programme maybe like Mike Mentzer. Hard short infrequent training.
some good info on his training on youtube. can do a split or full body.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, yesterday was squat/leg day, and it coincided with a special 2 hour black belt class. I decided not to skip my strength training, 4x4 back squats at 225#, 5x4 log presses at 115#, 4x4 belt squats, and 4x4 overhead squats at 155#. I am hating the world today, but sometimes the soreness makes you feel alive!

The black belt class was awesome btw.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Could be in conflict if you really want to excel in competitive bodybuilding, and actively don’t want to develop some muscle groups. Active neglect vs passive neglect. It’s like when guys skip leg day on purpose because they are pursuing the triangular look of a jacked upper body and scrawny legs. Not saying it’s healthy. But it is a thing. :)
it depends on how you train but Competition bodybuilding is about developing every facet of a muscle group not just strength which is another animal. This is why they talk about training every angle with mostly volume (sets) & exercises. I think a good way is the antagonistic split. Training opposite muscle groups superset style(no rest between sets)
For example: Biceps curls with Lying Triceps extensions.
This form of training is taxing & gets also your heart rate up, also no muscle imbalance. Remember when you kick a lot of muscles work together. opposite muscles either shorten or lengthen and all need to be trained. Muscle imbalance for example of the Hamstrings causes in many people lower back pains. so you need to train Hammies and Quads.
For a martial artist it need not be complicated... pick the best exercises for your body. some people just aint suited to certain exercises.
Nothing is carved in stone!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Today is pressing day. Bench 4x4 at 185#, viking press 4x4 at 115#, push press 4x4 at 145#, and mace swings 4x4 at 25# bilaterally. Then I get the weekend off to recover!

KungfukennyG

White Belt
Reaction score
Quick question, i want to do bodybuilding but i also want to do martial arts, theres a martial arts gym that offers classes every day that alternate between boxing and grappling, normally i work out monday to friday targeting different muscle groups each day so i was wondering should i do one week of gym and one week of martial arts or two weeks of gym and then two weeks of martial arts in terms of alternating because i know the martial arts sessions will be mainly cardio intensive, please answer thank you
I've been a martial artist 48 years and strongly believe in cross-training, including weight training. But body-building five days a week seems excessive. How about alternating days instead of weeks? Give your body a break. Too much yang leads to yin, young man. :)

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am 10th degree in "my" version of American Kenpo (I have books on Amazon). I am 5'2" and small boned. I have always worked weights with Kenpo. I also have a black belt in Tracy Kenpo.
Even with eternal power, you can't have too much strength! At age 78 I am still strong and because of Kenpo, very fast and limber.
Over the years I have used different schedules of training. Now Every other day I do weights and then every other day I do Kenpo.
At my age I do dumbbells and high reps. I also have a Total Gym, for those days I feel pooped. In other words, I have to have my workout.
I also found that I have near diabetus. I therefore doing a workout (20 min) every day keeps my blood sugar low. Hope this hellps. Remember, whatever schedule you feel good with, is the one for you.
Sifu
Puyalllup, Wa

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as weights go will do 3 days.
Chest & arms
Off
Legs
Off
Back & shoulder
Off
Off
Cardio when I have Off days or as often as possible... 3 days weights is enough at the moment.

Latest Discussions