OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome, but sorry we have already met our quota for Aussies

canstock33619809.jpg

Just kidding ;)
lol, I'll try my best to not be so quick to say things.

Thanks Guys,

Brmty2002

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets try this again.
Hi, I'm Brmty2002, from Adelaide, Australia. I've been practicing martial arts for 6 years, I've earned my black belt in GKR karate which I am still studying, but I have expanded my studies to include TKD and Hapkido, which I have been doing for 3 weeks now. I enjoy training for my fitness, knowing how to self defend and making new friends and am looking forward to discussing various topics with you guys.
Was there anything specific that inspired you to try out TKD and Hapkido? How are you finding the changes?

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Was there anything specific that inspired you to try out TKD and Hapkido? How are you finding the changes?
Well, I still do Karate, and I started Taekwondo and Hapkido. I loved Karate so much, that I wanted to extend my knowledge of the martial arts.
The changes though, I find them more like differences. The stances are what trip me up. Even though it seems easy to differentiate between the 3 arts, I have trouble with it. are there any tips out there to make sure that I can tell the difference?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I still do Karate, and I started Taekwondo and Hapkido. I loved Karate so much, that I wanted to extend my knowledge of the martial arts.
The changes though, I find them more like differences. The stances are what trip me up. Even though it seems easy to differentiate between the 3 arts, I have trouble with it. are there any tips out there to make sure that I can tell the difference?
Particularly with TKD and karate (depending on the type of karate), there are a lot of similarities from what I've heard. Apparently they both come from the same overall source, so the strikes and stances are probably very similar. From experimenting with different kempo styles, I had the same issues...my body knew very well my kempo stances and particularly my kempo kicks, took forever to do the slight changes to make them more kenpo kicks (eventually my sensei just gave up).
That's what I've learned from reading other posts on this forum, so one of those posters can likely come on and give you a better explanation :D

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Particularly with TKD and karate (depending on the type of karate), there are a lot of similarities from what I've heard. Apparently they both come from the same overall source, so the strikes and stances are probably very similar. From experimenting with different kempo styles, I had the same issues...my body knew very well my kempo stances and particularly my kempo kicks, took forever to do the slight changes to make them more kenpo kicks (eventually my sensei just gave up).
That's what I've learned from reading other posts on this forum, so one of those posters can likely come on and give you a better explanation :D
Thanks, its also good to know others struggle as well, and is not just a me thing :)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this where we start talking about lift/elevator, torch/flashlight, and follow up with a discussion about pants before we all end up laughing hysterically about two nations separated by a common language?

I love those. After that can we move on to differences between cursing?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ooh can I join? Don't forget to discuss which is more real between aluminium and aluminum

Reactions: JP3

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If we are going there Tez do you know what a male tea bag is in Australian?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

What differences, similarities, advantages/disadvantages have you seen specifically with your Hapkido studies compared to your experiences with Karate or Taekwondo? (Understanding only 3 to 4 weeks with TKD and HKD).

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we are going there Tez do you know what a male tea bag is in Australian?
not sure about in Australia, but here in the states i heard it said that in the original karate kid script, after the knock out crane kick, Daniel san was supposed to give Johnny a tea bag.......
im not sure why he would drink tea after a fight maybe it has something to do with waking Johnny up from his knock out.. lol

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, its also good to know others struggle as well, and is not just a me thing :)

Not just a 'me" thing, no. Good thing people don't realize the struggle involve when they first take up Martial Arts. There would be no kiais in dojos, just the sound of crickets. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train at three different schools, GKR for Karate, Seon Do Kwan, for Taekwondo and Bushido Martial Arts for Hapkido. all in Adelaide Australia. Yes you all read that correctly, I am Australian.

Now I would greatly appreciate it to quit giving me s**t about what I do :)

Thank you,

Brmty2002
Oh, but giving each other **** about what we do...is what we do!

Don't worry, you're not being singled out. All of us have started a thread by now that deteriorated this way.

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guys, how is everyone? Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy with RAAF stuff. How is everyone's training going? I have been doing a lot of Hapkido recently. Hoping I can perfect my "Nun Chigi" or finger strike! however this proves to be difficult!

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets try this again.
Hi, I'm Brmty2002, from Adelaide, Australia. I've been practicing martial arts for 6 years, I've earned my black belt in GKR karate which I am still studying, but I have expanded my studies to include TKD and Hapkido, which I have been doing for 3 weeks now. I enjoy training for my fitness, knowing how to self defend and making new friends and am looking forward to discussing various topics with you guys.

Well good for you. Australia is a fascinating but from what I heard, in some ways very rough place. So, getting your first black belt must've been a rite of passage for you. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, how is everyone? Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy with RAAF stuff. How is everyone's training going? I have been doing a lot of Hapkido recently. Hoping I can perfect my "Nun Chigi" or finger strike! however this proves to be difficult!

Interesting. Every Hapkido (Martial Art) school gets to do it there own way. I don't recall being taught that eye gouge that quickly when I was learning Hapkido. But it's all good. How do you define perfecting that strike?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
lol, I'll try my best to not be so quick to say things.

Thanks Guys,

Brmty2002
What do you think about self defense against crocodiles? According to another Aussie on this forum, that's a real danger for you guys.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think about self defense against crocodiles? According to another Aussie on this forum, that's a real danger for you guys.
When I used to play golf in Florida on a regular basis, I'd have considered self-defense against alligators quite useful.

Latest Discussions