AKKI: Shaping the Future of Kenpo?

What is your opinion on the AKKI and it's direction?

• AKKI is leading us all to a superior form of Kenpo

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Average AKKI member has a higher level of skill than the average member of another Association

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • AKKI members are just doing 'old' EPAK in a 'new' way

• There is nothing special about the AKKI. Just another Org.

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • I don't know enough about this issue to make a valid judgement

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • AKKI members do not do American Kenpo

• I don't care; I'm doing what I love

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I am an AKKI member

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • I am not an AKKI member

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • What the heck is an "AKKI"?

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Innovation begins with thought.

Humans have always had the materials available to build a space shuttle. It took the evolution of education, curiosity, trial and error, and innovation for us to actually make use of the materials that have always been around in order for us to begin the exploration of our solar system.

To me, the martial arts experienced, and is currently experiencing, the same evolution. The capacity for the human body to move as SGM Parker and GM Mills has existed since the first human. It takes education, curiosity, trial and error, and innovation to bring this capacity to fruition.

To say that there is nothing new under the sun does not invalidate the innovations of Mr. Mills and those who follow him. The argument that there is no new human movement could have been used against SGM Parker, yet he still changed the face of modern martial arts.

I don't know very many Kenpo people who move like this:
http://www.akki.com/_videos/index.htm (check out the "speed clip" at the very top. There's a great shot of SGM Parker SMOKIN' a technique!)
If what GM Mills teaches will lead to this type of speed, precision, and power, than I'm am all ears.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a cool clip. :D

On the inward block clips, what did you think about the inward block finishing down across the body? It appeared that it left the right side of the head open for a left hand strike. If his block does what it appears to though, the question is moot.

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yep, that block is absolutely incredible! He must have harmonized every aspect of the motion of his body in order to produce THAT fight ending block. Just the SOUND alone was phenomenal!

Did you catch the "New Speed Clip" link? It's at the very top, above the still frames on the left hand side. There's a shot in there which shows Mr. Mills' quick-draw. Incredible! I think he held the world record at one point in time. Perhaps he still does, I'm not sure.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
masterfinger said:
Brian, no disrespect towards the AKKI at all. Some of my best friends are AKKI instructors, and I hold the highest regards for their skill. I've worked alongside Mr. Herman and Mr. Lannon doing security in Vegas I consider them,the best ever to watch my back when the s**t hit's the fan.
However, there are some elements that have been introduced that have not been credited towards the influence or integration into the AKKI curriculum. Like someone else said, theirs no longer any such "innovations" when it comes to martial arts/human movements. Unless you consider innovations as simply another way to put together the pieces of the puzzle, they're still the same pieces, and only so many ways they can be put together, which was figured out long ago. I've asked about this on the AKKI forum, and instead of at least crediting where certain influences came from, it was considered a "Mill's Innovation". I respect his abilities and consider him a martial artist of the highest caliber, but unless he's grown a 3rd arm, "innovations" could be better described as "realisations through integration". Sorry, I should have said that before, and I apologise for any disrespect that may have been felt.

Actually, no offense taken. I was honestly curious. I agree that there are some drills that look a lot like Filipino drills (hubud-lubud etc.). Did he AKKI take them from there? I don't know. They do look awfully similar, and some of the stick drills are just siniwali patterns. I have heard third and fourth hand that Mr. Mills claims to have come up with these dirlls on his own but I haven't heard anything direcly. I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone saying these drills come from this art, but we are putting a new spin on it. I agree with your other thoughts though, some of the stuff is pretty creative, and extremely effective

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:

On the inward block clips, what did you think about the inward block finishing down across the body? It appeared that it left the right side of the head open for a left hand strike. If his block does what it appears to though, the question is moot.

In part I think its the angle of the camera. I don't think it finishes quite as far as it appears. Plus you have to take into account the body reaction of the person punching. I have had my intrructor do this on me, and that's pretty much what happens.

Brian Jones

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
In part I think its the angle of the camera. I don't think it finishes quite as far as it appears. Plus you have to take into account the body reaction of the person punching. I have had my intrructor do this on me, and that's pretty much what happens.

Brian Jones

Thanks for the reply. It looked and sounded pretty effective. I don't think his "ow!" was for the camera. :)

cloak13

White Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
I have heard third and fourth hand that Mr. Mills claims to have come up with these dirlls on his own but I haven't heard anything direcly.

I think I've steered clear of this post for quite some time but kinda feel like I should address this comment. As an AKKI guy I can say with all honesty that I also see gross motor skill parrallells in what we do versus other system's drills and sets. But discussing these things with FMA practicioners I see vast differences in the little things that become very large things when coupled together. For example: differences in alignment between the two "drillers", the order of movements in sets to simplify learning the set. I personally don't care if Mr. Mills did get these ideas from other systems. He has changed little things with them that I've found very interesting and useful.

I try not to talk about the AKKI's "innovations", or why I like their approach to Kenpo best, but I will say that if you are only looking at the surface you are missing a lot. I've said before and I'll say again that one of my favorite things about the AKKI is how easily I internalized the material. Part of that is a credit to my instructor, but another part is a credit to the curriculum's structure.

I love what the AKKI is doing. Do I think it is shaping the future of Kenpo, no I don't. The AKKI is shaping Kenpo for AKKI people but we're not some kind of virus out to take over the Kenpo world (atleast as far as I know). If you're happy with what you're doing and it works for you do it! Stick to your practices and enjoy your activities.

Have a nice day,
Tim Kulp
Westminster, MD

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
cloak13 said:
I think I've steered clear of this post for quite some time but kinda feel like I should address this comment. As an AKKI guy I can say with all honesty that I also see gross motor skill parrallells in what we do versus other system's drills and sets. But discussing these things with FMA practicioners I see vast differences in the little things that become very large things when coupled together. For example: differences in alignment between the two "drillers", the order of movements in sets to simplify learning the set. I personally don't care if Mr. Mills did get these ideas from other systems. He has changed little things with them that I've found very interesting and useful.

I try not to talk about the AKKI's "innovations", or why I like their approach to Kenpo best, but I will say that if you are only looking at the surface you are missing a lot. I've said before and I'll say again that one of my favorite things about the AKKI is how easily I internalized the material. Part of that is a credit to my instructor, but another part is a credit to the curriculum's structure.

I love what the AKKI is doing. Do I think it is shaping the future of Kenpo, no I don't. The AKKI is shaping Kenpo for AKKI people but we're not some kind of virus out to take over the Kenpo world (atleast as far as I know). If you're happy with what you're doing and it works for you do it! Stick to your practices and enjoy your activities.

Have a nice day,
Tim Kulp
Westminster, MD

Tim I agree with you. I love what the AKKI is doing. All I meant was when introduced to FMA, I thought, wow I have seen this before. Yes with subtle differences. Of course I shouldn't be surprised after all they are in universal set lol. All I was saying was, yes I recognize similarities, but I was in no posistion to say where the patterns came from. I didn't want to quote Mr. Mills when all I had was second or even third hand quotes. And ultimatley it doesn't matter where it came from once we make it ours its ours. Thanks for your reply.

Brian Jones

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
jdinca said:

I think I know which clip you are talking about:
trust me..........your question IS moot. When Mr. Mills passes his hand at, on, through and beyond your arm, you (or anyone) would be lucky to still be standing, let along raising/thrusting the other arm with anything that could be considered force.
But: this clip was just an example, a sampling of motion....not a rationale for HOW to execute a tactic-perfect technique. IF you study the techniques that Mr. Mills has put forth, staying covered/checked/defended etc. is a big consideration to keep the practitioner safe....even while dolling out some very thunderous strikes.

Your Brother
John

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll throw my hat in on this topic as I too have refrained for a long time. First, the clips on the AKKI website may infact show Mr. Mills' speed, but they also show him going against a static UKE. Everyone of those "devestating" strikes, blocks, whatever, are against a completely still uke. No one has offered any resistance. This is not saying anything negative about Mills, simply stating something that I have not seen made mention of.

Now, a question. Why would Mr. Mills feel compelled to deliver those kinds of shots to his students? Is it to build his own ego? I doubt it, but there is no cause for him to smack those guys like he has in the video. MY KENPO, we learn to avoid getting struck, feints, blocks, etc.... and it can't be done by being a sitting duck for anyone, including Mr. Mills. I've been to some seminars with Kenpo seniors that feel it is an uke's responsibility to passively stand there, and get beat on....Im not one of them. Ive also seen some students throw a big old wrench into the day and actually not just stand there and take a beating. I understand the role of an uke is to "play along", and as such, the exchange should be reciprocated. All too often, devoted colored belts are used as ukes, and "play along", but the instructor is going full tilt. Is this some kind of testing of the uke, too show how stupid they can be and just take a beating for the benefit of a class of paid seminarians or students???? Are the remarkable speed and devestating delivery of some seniors as much so even against a resisting opponent? What about one that strikes first, strikes back, and actually throws a what-if in there every once in awhile? I attended of one of those Dillman knockout seminars. Yeah, one of his blackbelts knocked a few guys out, but was unable to know others out, especially those of us that did not just stand there and take unexpected shots to the throat and forehead. When it didn't work on me, I was told I was being uncooperative and resistant!??!?? Damn, imagine that, an uncooperative and resistant opponent on the street...HMMMMMM.

Just some thoughts,
Gary C.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kalicombat said:
I'll throw my hat in on this topic as I too have refrained for a long time. First, the clips on the AKKI website may infact show Mr. Mills' speed, but they also show him going against a static UKE. Everyone of those "devestating" strikes, blocks, whatever, are against a completely still uke. No one has offered any resistance. This is not saying anything negative about Mills, simply stating something that I have not seen made mention of.

Now, a question. Why would Mr. Mills feel compelled to deliver those kinds of shots to his students? Is it to build his own ego? I doubt it, but there is no cause for him to smack those guys like he has in the video. MY KENPO, we learn to avoid getting struck, feints, blocks, etc.... and it can't be done by being a sitting duck for anyone, including Mr. Mills. I've been to some seminars with Kenpo seniors that feel it is an uke's responsibility to passively stand there, and get beat on....Im not one of them. Ive also seen some students throw a big old wrench into the day and actually not just stand there and take a beating. I understand the role of an uke is to "play along", and as such, the exchange should be reciprocated. All too often, devoted colored belts are used as ukes, and "play along", but the instructor is going full tilt. Is this some kind of testing of the uke, too show how stupid they can be and just take a beating for the benefit of a class of paid seminarians or students???? Are the remarkable speed and devestating delivery of some seniors as much so even against a resisting opponent? What about one that strikes first, strikes back, and actually throws a what-if in there every once in awhile? I attended of one of those Dillman knockout seminars. Yeah, one of his blackbelts knocked a few guys out, but was unable to know others out, especially those of us that did not just stand there and take unexpected shots to the throat and forehead. When it didn't work on me, I was told I was being uncooperative and resistant!??!?? Damn, imagine that, an uncooperative and resistant opponent on the street...HMMMMMM.

Just some thoughts,
Gary C.
Preach brother. :)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kalicombat said:

Just some thoughts,
Gary C.

I've said it. I've said it about Tatum, about Mills, about myself, and about Kenpoists in general. Thumping on an UKE is a big advancemant over traditional Karate and Kung Fu training techniques. Making your techniquies work on fully resisting opponents is the next step. Still hoping to see someone much better than I am putting it on tape.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
I've said it. I've said it about Tatum, about Mills, about myself, and about Kenpoists in general. Thumping on an UKE is a big advancemant over traditional Karate and Kung Fu training techniques. Making your techniquies work on fully resisting opponents is the next step. Still hoping to see someone much better than I am putting it on tape.
We have a classroom procedure called "The Challenge." A student is allowed to challenge the effectiveness or efficacy of any concept, technique, or methodology during certain segments of class by any teacher. It insures competency, and promotes faith in the curriculum by the student body. Students are admonished during these exercises to not necessarily accept anyone's "word" for anythng they must rely on for survival. Test, challenge, and then test again among themselves, is encouraged. Perceived deficiencies are always addressed. Having a plethora of different law enforcement agencies in-house doesn't allow "puffery" in the teaching of curriculum. Everything is classified as either ineffective, effective, more effective, or most effective. The fourth level is always the objective, and we never settle for "just" effective.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:

Honestly, you just can't win. If you never show what Kenpo can do people say you are full of hot air. If you do show soemthing then people say well sure if you have a willing Uke, or why would one of oyur stuents elt themselves be beat on. Or anyone can defend agaisnt a static punch.
First of all in clips like these none of the senoirs (Mr. Tatum, Mr. Mills etc.) are trying to defend themselves. They are illustrating a principle and doing it with as much clarity as possible.
Yes there is a difference between demonstaring and fighting someone who is resistant. So are you saying you doubt their abilities to denfd themselves? Do you need to see video of that too or would you even then find something to pick a part?

Brian Jones

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
Honestly, you just can't win. If you never show what Kenpo can do people say you are full of hot air. If you do show soemthing then people say well sure if you have a willing Uke, or why would one of oyur stuents elt themselves be beat on. Or anyone can defend agaisnt a static punch.
First of all in clips like these none of the senoirs (Mr. Tatum, Mr. Mills etc.) are trying to defend themselves. They are illustrating a principle and doing it with as much clarity as possible.
Yes there is a difference between demonstaring and fighting someone who is resistant. So are you saying you doubt their abilities to denfd themselves? Do you need to see video of that too or would you even then find something to pick a part?

Brian Jones

You are right that people say Kenpo is "full of ... [whatever]"... because they've never seen it done on a resisting opponent. I am not saying it doesn't work. It certainly does work in many situations. I am saying that I would love to see Kenpo in action caught on video.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:

Brian Jones

Kenpo is the most effective system I have been exposed to. Im not disputing that. What I have a problem with basically is all the doe-eyed adornment of some kenpo seniors, in this case Mr. Mill's, by naive students that think mpeg video clips offer a direct correlation to that seniors ability. Demonstration clips, which the ones in question are, do not represent anything more then some instructors' ability to beat up his students. Would the "mind boggeling" speed be nearly as impressive if all parties had gear on, and the UKE was not allowing the techniques to happen? What about all the spontaneity everyone talks about. Demonstration videos offer no spontaneity, no real gauge of any persons ability other then their knowledge of the movements of a technique.

Just my opinion,
Gary C.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:

Brian Jones
Well, I don't think anybody is going quite that far, but you have to admit the presentation is questionable. Not because it doesn't demonstrate something, but because it doesn't demonstrate anything "special." I could step outside my office and find someone who, if you stand still and stick your arm out and allow them to hit it, could get the same results or better. It's not a matter of questioning someone's skill or ability, just a less than favorable presentation to demostrate a idea. Take it or leave it, it is what it is, or isn't.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kalicombat said:
Kenpo is the most effective system I have been exposed to. Im not disputing that. What I have a problem with basically is all the doe-eyed adornment of some kenpo seniors, in this case Mr. Mill's, by naive students that think mpeg video clips offer a direct correlation to that seniors ability. Demonstration clips, which the ones in question are, do not represent anything more then some instructors' ability to beat up his students. Would the "mind boggeling" speed be nearly as impressive if all parties had gear on, and the UKE was not allowing the techniques to happen? What about all the spontaneity everyone talks about. Demonstration videos offer no spontaneity, no real gauge of any persons ability other then their knowledge of the movements of a technique.

Just my opinion,
Gary C.
You still preachin'? :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Well, I don't think anybody is going quite that far, but you have to admit the presentation is questionable. Not because it doesn't demonstrate something, but because it doesn't demonstrate anything "special."

I just watched the clips, and I think this is exactly the issue. In each case a stationary and wide-open opponent is struck by someone who has the time to assume a stance and get a good look at his opponent's position. I don't know what I'm supposed to learn from that. If one wants to know how to beat up a dummy, take Wing Chun.

The pseudo-scientific descriptions of the techniques are typical of what one hears from those who believe that what they are doing is scientific despite their lack of training in the subject:

"Some important physical quantities related to striking are momentum (p = mv), and kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 mv^2). The physics equations describing these quantities depend on mass and velocity, not on the amount of distance traveled in executing the strike. In this demonstration, the utilization of proper principles regarding speed and body alignment, not travel, gives tremendous power to the strike."

Focusing on amount of distance omits the fact that velocity is exactly rate of change of distance (displacement), i.e. p=mdx/dt, but leaving that aside, as well as the fact that p depends on velocity but K.E. depends on speed, if we assume that the strike is initially started from a previously stationary hand (null velocity, null acceleration), then to get more speed one needs more distance through which to accelerate. For a given velocity it's all well and good to say that p=mv, but to get a reasonable speed requires traveling through a certain distance. It seems to me that the real question here is how rapidly can one accelerate through the distance from the weapon to its target, that is, p=m*int(a(t)) is likely the best way to analyze it. Under the reasonable simplifying assumption of constant acceleration and null initial conditions, v=at and d=at^2/2 so the quantities are essentially interchangeable. After a given distance, you have a certain speed, and a certain speed corresponds to a given distance (until speed reaches a maximum or starts to decrease, if it does). Of course, until you can argue whether or not the collision is inelastic and how much energy is transferred to internal energy rather than energy of motion, it doesn't mean much.

"Using these principles, even the small mass of a finger whip has enormous destructive power. This is the same principle that allows the tip of a bullwhip to be accelerated so that the speed of the tip exceeds the speed of sound."

The crack of a whip comes from the whip forming a circular loop. Apparently this person can twist his forearm into a full circle.

This is just more pseudo-science used to trick the unwary. It's no different than claiming that you're moving people with your ki, to my way of thinking. It's a sales gimmick that is meant to impress people who don't know better than to believe it.

Latest Discussions