Favorite Belt Saying/Pledge

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While some of the belt sayings & pledges in Kenpo/Kempo are philosophical as well as strategic, which one is your favorite & why? (or your top 3, if you cannot choose just one) Plus, do you think that the sayings/pledges are just ideas or do you try to actually follow them in your daily life?

I'd be interested in hearing from Kenpoists of all ranks on this.

Your Kenpo Sister,
Gin-Gin :asian:

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I'll go first. All of the belt pledges that I've learned so far are good, especially because they seem to be specifically written for that particular phase of the training. IMO, the Kenpo Creed is a good general guide for all martial artists.

My top three favorite belt sayings:

1) Whatever the attitude, so the response. (Because it reminds me of "do unto others...")

2) One becomes great when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little. (Because it reminds me that there is always more to learn)

3) To desire something does not mean to accomplish it; to perspire for it makes accomplishment a reality. (Because it reminds me that I have to work for the things I want)

I try to follow the sayings & pledges in my daily life - on some days I do great, other days I don't. However, I keep trying & to me, that's the point.

:asian: :karate:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Gin-Gin good thread topic!
Of the ones I know I really like the 3rd Brown Belt Pledge:

I pledge that as my skill as a teacher progresses I will never condemn, ridicule, embarrass or shame any student or fellow instructor in the presence of a class or group. All grievances or disputes shall be conducted in private away from group observation.

I have always believed that good teachers, for that matter, temperate human beings, conduct themselves in this manner. Teachers should not publicly correct students in a manner that will cause them to be shamed or embarrassed. So I am impressed by this one, although I would further add that there is no need to ever embarrass, condemn, ridicule or shame a student even in private. Instead a grievance privately discussed should be viewed as an opportunity for growth through positive communication. This is a philosophy that could benefit all instructors and students in their schools and even here on the internet. :asian:

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
"I am but a beginner in a new and fascinating art!"

Can't see that one ever really going out of fashion!

Dan:asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin I see sayings too Duh LOL took a 6:30 am class I must be tired.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Gin-Gin I see sayings too Duh LOL took a 6:30 am class I must be tired.
That's ok--don't sweat it, MJ. :) My thread asks for both because I wanted to give people a wide range to choose from.

Have a great day!

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
While some of the belt sayings & pledges in Kenpo/Kempo are philosophical as well as strategic, which one is your favorite & why? (or your top 3, if you cannot choose just one) Plus, do you think that the sayings/pledges are just ideas or do you try to actually follow them in your daily life?

I'd be interested in hearing from Kenpoists of all ranks on this.

Your Kenpo Sister,
Gin-Gin
smileJap.gif
Great question,
There are just so many sayings that bear reality on any given day, I appreciate all of them, as I see it, there is a lesson in each one.

My favorite at the moment is:
"To see is to be deceived , to hear is to doubt ,but to feel is believe"

My favorite saying often Changes as do the circumstances of our daily life , or trainning.

I would think the most famous saying here on martial talk would be

"time will either promote you or expose you" LOL

All good!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess we don't do this in tracy kenpo. we have one single pledge that you agree to at each rank. It never changes, but there is more added to it when you become an instructor. Let me copy it down for you:

I solemnly pledge that I will use the art of Karate soley for the purposes
of defense, never for purposes of agression.
I will treat with respect both my teachers and fellow students.
I will strive to impart an attitude of respect and appreciation for the
teachings of Karate, and an understanding of the responsibility that a
knowledge of Karate entails.
I will never sanction the use of Karate for destructive or harmful ends.
I make these promises solemnly and on my honor.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha said:
I guess we don't do this in tracy kenpo. we have one single pledge that you agree to at each rank. It never changes, but there is more added to it when you become an instructor. Let me copy it down for you:

I solemnly pledge that I will use the art of Karate soley for the purposes
of defense, never for purposes of agression.
I will treat with respect both my teachers and fellow students.
I will strive to impart an attitude of respect and appreciation for the
teachings of Karate, and an understanding of the responsibility that a
knowledge of Karate entails.
I will never sanction the use of Karate for destructive or harmful ends.
I make these promises solemnly and on my honor.
That's cool, Sam. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is hard to pick a favorite pledge! I think that at each level each pledge has awesome value, with the next pledge building on the previous one. I would have to pick the Black Belt pledge as my favorite. I think it encompasses the spirit of all of the previous pledges.

I do believe that the pledges have meaning. Unfortunately, in this society not many people respect the spoken word as binding, so I can see how many could view the pledges as nothing more than quaint little saying that you ritually recite at each belt test.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On topic but not Kenpo specfic sayings. here me out they apply.

"With great power comes great responsiblility"

"Power without perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value"

"Any tool is usefull, if you know how to use it"

"The better fighter is the one who can readily percieve the TRUE nature of the oppositions intentions"

"The greatest power lies in the power to percieve"

I like how all these quotes sort of loop together.

Favorite Belt Pledge............ "I come to you with only karate, empty hands, I have no weapons. But should I be Forced to defend Myself, my Principles or my Honor. Should it be a matter of Life or Death, of Right or Wrong then here are my weapons, karate, my empty hands."

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
never order just one beer
Ah-ha! Here I was thinking it wa some kind of defense, well if you're not happy at home I suppose it could be. Defense against the annoying spouse? :uhyeah: Thanks :wink2:

O

openkenpo

I think my personal favorite, so far, is:

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]The man who knows how will always be a student, but the man who knows why will continue to be the instructor.

[/size]
[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]This saying emphasizes the importance of understanding why we do what we do, and not simply memorizing moves. We must apply logic and reasoning to everything that we are taught and that we teach. To me, this is what makes Kenpo a science, in addition to an art.

[/size]
[/font]

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
On topic but not Kenpo specfic sayings. here me out they apply.

"With great power comes great responsiblility"

"Power without perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value"

"Any tool is usefull, if you know how to use it"

"The better fighter is the one who can readily percieve the TRUE nature of the oppositions intentions"

"The greatest power lies in the power to percieve"

I like how all these quotes sort of loop together.

Favorite Belt Pledge............ "I come to you with only karate, empty hands, I have no weapons. But should I be Forced to defend Myself, my Principles or my Honor. Should it be a matter of Life or Death, of Right or Wrong then here are my weapons, karate, my empty hands."
Wasssup Hawk Man!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
What does that mean please? :idunno:
It's a law enforcement term that has to do with stress management as well as conservation of ammunition in a shooting situation. It simply means; 2 shots centermass and watch what happens. If the threat is neutralized, fine, if not go to the "failure drill." 1 additional shot to the Central Nervous System Motherboard. Repeat as neccessary.

Latest Discussions