Aikido vs karate... On the street

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
haha thats a good one! but you know, its like in the superhero crossovers. misunderstandings have to lead to interesting fights. :D

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately it happened, and it wasn't good.

:eek: :( :oops:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wouldn't really happen. We are both usually chill people.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately it happened, and it wasn't good.

:eek: :( :oops:

Been doing this Karate thing for a long time now. I'm not sure what that was. From what's been presented, it seems to indicate Shotokan Karate. That's not anything like Shotokan Karate as I've ever seen it. And the people sparring, presumably Shotokan Karate people... are wearing gloves. So why aren't they hitting their opponent?

You got some splaining to do.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm no aikido guy but it didn't look much like aikido to me but regardless he shut down those karate folks like he was tossing aside some little kids.

Mainly because most of them were little kids.....

He's done quite a few vids on how to counter Bjj techniques as well. Hopefully he stops by a Bjj school to test them out, like he did on those karate kids.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
this was wkf karate. so no matter if you do shotokan or an other karate style, if you want tournaments in this federation, you have to do that kumite style you saw there. its terrible. if someone has a good guard or comes close, they don't know what to do, since in their reglement, its not even allowed. therefore, they don't train it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
this was wkf karate. so no matter if you do shotokan or an other karate style, if you want tournaments in this federation, you have to do that kumite style you saw there. its terrible. if someone has a good guard or comes close, they don't know what to do, since in their reglement, its not even allowed. therefore, they don't train it.

So what you are saying is they don't know how to fight?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
there are some exploding techniques which can be useful, but basically yes!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the video I can only conclude that head punches were not allowed. ;) Not really a fair look then at the Karate of that school.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before everybody gets hung up on Hanzou's video (friendly inter-art sparring at a school that uses light contact and no face punches - not real impressive but kudos to the participants trying something different), I wanted to point out that I really liked the message of the original video that Steve posted.