Aikido vs judo

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Could someone explain what aikido is and how different it is from judo? I'm aware they're different martial arts, but I'm seeing more similarities than differences.

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What similarities do you see?

Throws and falls, mostly. At least how they're performed: off-balancing the opponent (throws) and slapping the ground (falls).

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Throws and falls, mostly. At least how they're performed: off-balancing the opponent (throws) and slapping the ground (falls).
That's a break fall any one who knows anything about throws knows that's what you do so you don't get hurt when you fall and you should always do it with the back of your hands not your palms in case you fall near some glass as it'd slice your veins

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain what aikido is and how different it is from judo? I'm aware they're different martial arts, but I'm seeing more similarities than differences.
With Aikido, most of the control is from beyond the elbow (at least at the beginning of the technique). With Judo, most of the control is from inside the elbow. That difference in distancing is the major difference. Distance-grappling has less room for error in timing and has a more limited toolset for upsetting weight by direct contact. Close-grappling has more direct control and more options once contact is made, and sacrifices some redirection and a lot of targeting lead for adaptability and being able to maintain control of a struggling opponent.

@Tony Dismukes does a good job of talking about the conceptual and functional differences between close and distance grappling.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aikido is based more around wrist and joint locks. Judo is based more around throws, grappling, and submissions. For example, wrist locks are banned in Judo, while they're quite common in Aikido. Chokes are fairly common in Judo, while Aikido has one choke in the entire system.

The "throws" you see in Aikido are people purposely throwing themselves in order to avoid getting broken wrists.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aikido is based more around wrist and joint locks. Judo is based more around throws, grappling, and pins. For example, wrist locks are banned in Judo, while they're quite common in Aikido. The "throws" you see in Aikido are people purposely throwing themselves in order to avoid getting broken wrists.
A reasonable comparison, but not entirely accurate in that last point, Hanzou. There are many throws in Aikido that aren't based on wrists and aren't truly locks - they throw by timing and leverage, sometimes taking a joint to a "soft lock" position (a point where the shoulder can't move further, but isn't painful and the joint could move if you paused). There's a "lead" component in the longer throws that you won't see much in Judo.

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aikido, judo and jujitsu have common origins. Judo was derived from jujitsu with out strikes to make it a sport. Judo has many hip throws and the objective is to get the opponent off balance to throw them on the mat. Aikido is more of using the opponent energy to throw the individual by leveraging the manipulation of joints to force the oponnet in a given direction. In practice while judo slaps on a fall a hapkido practicioner Rolls on a fall. It is said that a true master of hapkido can defend himself with out seriously hurting the opponent. You off course can hurt the oponente. If you see hapkido strikes they are more associated to an imaginary blade since it was developed to defend in case you lost your sword. I suppose that you are familiar with jujitsu so I will not elaborate on that. In regard to styles aikido is very pretty and smooth of the three. In regards to effectiveness jujitsu is very effective on a one to one match. Judo requires close body contact and it is as effective to throw an opponent but requires very close body contact. Jujitsu is a core discipline in mma. Aikido is not used much on mma. Judo skills are also used on mma. But for self defense and health any martial art is beneficial. From my perspective the ranking for age and considering that our bodies age and can not take abuse as we age vs when we are young. I would say that from a physical capability required to practice these sports it would be jujitsu, judo and then aikido. Jujitsu requiring the most stamina and therefore more conducive to young practicioner vs aikido that it is more gentle and probably easier for older practicioners. This is my opinion and I hope it helps

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great answers, so I have not much to add now. :)

Just one remark:
Jujitsu is a core discipline in mma.
Between the 'Jujitsu MMA' (or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and (Japanese) Jujitsu there is (the old) Judo. They have something or a lot in common, but they are absolutely distinct arts these days.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are practical,differences that others have explained. There are also fundamental differences in the way each style is trained, and the philosophy underlying the training.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Iirc the founder of judo encourage his students to also learn from the founder of aikido.

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a word, distance.

But one word explanations offend my spirit of verbosity against rectitude, so I'll elaborate.

Aikido, when properly done, does the same thing in principle as judo does, when properly done. It's just that, typically, judo does the technique from a closer position than aikido person typically does their techniques.

There are more obvious differences as well, such as you'll very rarely see a judoka trying for a wrist technique, because such are off limits in judo competition. It doesn't mean they aren't familiar with them, they typically just don't train them much.

In the same vein, and in my opinion incorrectly, it is the somewhat rare aikidoka who has competency in simple, basic throws that occur in other arts, such as hip throws, shoulder throws and foot sweeping techniques. They "should," imo as everyone should.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you'll very rarely see a judoka trying for a wrist technique, ...
If we define 3 different distances, the wrist gate, elbow gate, and the shoulder gate,

- Aikido like to fight in the "wrist gate" range.
- Judo likes to fight in the "elbow gate" and "shoulder gate" range.

From a wrestling point of view, The Aikido "wrist gate" cannot be considered as "clinch". When you control your opponent's wrist, his elbow join is still free. Also the distance between you and your opponent is too far. It can give your opponent more room to counter and escape.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP3

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it is the somewhat rare aikidoka who has competency in simple, basic throws that occur in other arts, such as hip throws, shoulder throws and foot sweeping techniques. They "should," imo as everyone should.
Throws such as hip throw, shoulder throw, foot sweep, ... are just the basic tools. IMO, it should not have any style boundary. All MA systems should train those tools.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
it is the somewhat rare aikidoka who has competency in simple, basic throws that occur in other arts, such as hip throws, shoulder throws and foot sweeping techniques.

Throws such as hip throw, shoulder throw, foot sweep, ... are just the basic tools. IMO, it should not have any style boundary. All MA systems should train those tools.

no...not all MA systems should train these. these techniques do not fit with aikidos philosophy.

from my experience and everything that i have learned, in my opinion ....
Aikido means "the way of Aiki" so what exactly is aiki ? aiki is two words ai is harmony Ki is energy.
aiki is a blending of energy from your opponent with your own. but i believe this is done in a very different manner than the way Judo does. Judo starts with contact already made between Tori and Uke . Tori may push on Uke and when Uke reacts to the energy to counterbalance himself Tori will then reverse the action and pull uke into a throw. Tori is using leverage with a low level of force combined with Uke's reaction.
in Aikido nage and uke typically would start from a few feet apart. Uke initiates the action by giving Nage an attacking line of force (could be a punch, strike or grab) Nage will "capture" this force pulling it into a spherical rotation, with nage at the center. using centrifugal force and uke's own momentum, nage will guide this energy into an action that is designed to injure uke, uke will allow himself to be thrown rather than receive it directly into a joint like the wrist or elbow.
imagine a ball is thrown at you and you step out of the way, as your hand moves in the same direction that the ball is traveling. your hand catches up to the ball and catches it from behind the line of force and pushes it even faster. then your finger tips give it a little push in a different vector.
aikido is not a push and pull, catch your opponent off guard. it is capturing your opponents energy and at high levels actually capturing your opponents intent and redirecting it.
it is a very subtle difference. i would say aikido is like bull fighting. you just are not there to take the push, while Judo is taking the push then pulling on their arm.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There have been some suggestions that aikido is better suited as a kind of advanced degree, and actually works better if you have a solid foundation in another grappling art like judo. Other people have successfully moved from aikido into other arts, like BJJ (like Roy dean).

So, yeah, it's possible, and apparently works very well.

Latest Discussions