Aikido.. The reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Most traditional styles...LARP"? Again, can you name a couple?

Once again buddy, your problem seems to be that you're mired in "0 live resistance" fantasy land of Wing Chun. Great news! I've been sent here through time by the dragon gods to tell you there's live resistance Wing Chun out there, waiting for you. You have to want it though.

I'm not responsible for your unwillingness. Aikido is all about acceptance, after all. Oh yeah.
Ok, I will preface this by saying I fully realize you are not interested in anything resembling adult discussion, and the fact that you are entirely focussed on me rather than what I'm saying tells the whole story here. But for the rest that may be reading...

Yes, there are some wing chun schools that train with live resistance..such as what Alan Orr is doing. Yet if you watch his fighters fight, they don't do anything resembling standard wing chun. Once the system is adapted into something that works...it is always a very different animal. And there is the rub, fighting is fighting. Certain movements, techniques, and strategies are simply objectively better under live resistance than others, and once they have been modified to that point you are left with what is basically kickboxing, wrestling, and jui jitsu, or some combination thereof. The evidence for this (for those of you that believe in evidence) is overwhelming and undeniable.

Take any style that lacks this sort of live training and you are left with something that is untested, people that have no idea what to do if they are being attacked and the 'opponent' doesn't cooperate. This is the bulk of traditional schools.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't mean to, and I know this may derail the thread but, this line of discussion makes me wonder about how/when someone figured out it is good to cook meat over fire.
I am glad that it happened, but it always makes me wonder how that sequence of events came about.
Wow! Now that’s an original thought! Thanks for that!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not responsible for your lack of reading comprehension. Let me break it down in a way that maybe even you can understand.

If you train in a way that involves 0 live resistance ( that is when the other guy is allowed to react in a non scripted way, if my wording is too difficult) , as most traditional styles tend to do ( a style being a particular martial art, to clarify), then what you are doing is larping(this means live action roll playing).

If this is still too difficult for you to understand, please let me know and I will explain it again slowly using smaller words.
You can’t even name the styles that deride.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is live resistance in Wing chun. But where there isn't the style suffers for it.
Ok, I will preface this by saying I fully realize you are not interested in anything resembling adult discussion, and the fact that you are entirely focussed on me rather than what I'm saying tells the whole story here. But for the rest that may be reading...

Yes, there are some wing chun schools that train with live resistance..such as what Alan Orr is doing. Yet if you watch his fighters fight, they don't do anything resembling standard wing chun. Once the system is adapted into something that works...it is always a very different animal. And there is the rub, fighting is fighting. Certain movements, techniques, and strategies are simply objectively better under live resistance than others, and once they have been modified to that point you are left with what is basically kickboxing, wrestling, and jui jitsu, or some combination thereof. The evidence for this (for those of you that believe in evidence) is overwhelming and undeniable.

Take any style that lacks this sort of live training and you are left with something that is untested, people that have no idea what to do if they are being attacked and the 'opponent' doesn't cooperate. This is the bulk of traditional schools.
More vast generalizations about things you haven’t the slightest clue about. How impressive. You have no experience, yet you are an expert on TMA? What a sad joke.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can’t even name the styles that deride.
I think you are attempting to say 'you can't even name the styles you are trying to deride', as what you wrote is grammatically incoherent.

Assuming you were, that's a weird and baseless accusation that has nothing to do with any point I have made. Any and all styles or more specifically, the schools that teach them, that do not train alive and with actual resistance and sparring. Naming 50 different styles that are generally known for this would add nothing to the discussion.

Thanks for coming out though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
At this point, this thread has wandered far and wide, circling many topics... and it seems to have really lost the original focus. A warning was posted, with less than the desired effect. And, when you try something and it doesn't get the desired effect, you try something else...

There's no practical way to cull and split this into separate threads. Various folks are treading close to getting points, and our philosophy has always been that less moderation is more...

So... I'm closing the thread, right after I finish this post.

jks9199
MartialTalk Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions