Aikido has no reason to prove itself!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think they actually think this stuff through or do you think they think it through with 100% belief that something like that is easy? May they know the risk and just assume. That anyone who believes what they just sold would be an easy sale on some martial arts classes. Sort of like. "If you believe the crap I just showed, then I know I can take your money."
I think a lot of this starts honestly, with someone who can do a technique against resistance teaching it to others. One of those "others" then teaches it, but hasn't worked with resistance, so adds a bit that works well and seems really nice with a compliant partner. This continues a few generations (of students) and can quickly lead to techniques that seem like they'd require time stoppage to work.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think a lot of this starts honestly, with someone who can do a technique against resistance teaching it to others. One of those "others" then teaches it, but hasn't worked with resistance, so adds a bit that works well and seems really nice with a compliant partner. This continues a few generations (of students) and can quickly lead to techniques that seem like they'd require time stoppage to work.
I can see this as a possibility. I just wish some people take the time to actually use this stuff so they can be better representations of what they train. I guess it's like cooking to me. Just having good ingredients doesn't mean the finished product will be tasted. Martial Arts is like that. How does someone know the ingredients work unless they cook it. It doesn't mean that one has to be professional cook in order to understand how things work and fit together. Many get pleasure of being able to understand cooking enough to get good results.

It seems that in Martial Arts one would want to understand enough to at least pick out things that are truly easy vs the 10 steps combo plan that looks nice in a demo, but is far from easy.

Latest Discussions