Aikido exploration...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care about fighting either,

Are your pants on fire, my friend?

Based on past posts by Hanzou, I interpret that to mean that he doesn't have any interest in personally wanting to get in a fight or any concerns that he will be forced to fight in self-defense any time soon, not that he doesn't care about the effectiveness of a given martial art in fighting.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Entertainingly enough, as the folks here go around in circles on whether Aikido is meant to be effective in fighting or not, I'm engaged in a conversation over on Quora with someone who insists that Aikido isn't used in MMA because its techniques are too deadly and are banned under MMA rules. Now that I've progressively debunked most of his claims regarding the rules, he's now down to claiming they fall under "unsportsmanlike conduct", because you could break an opponent's neck with a knifehand and that would be unsportsmanlike.

Still waiting to find out if he actually trains Aikido or is just a fanboy. I'm suspecting the latter.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are your pants on fire, my friend? :)

LoL! No. I'm simply not seeking out fighting or involved in competition like I used to be. I practice Bjj these days merely for self defense and personal growth. Given my knee issues, I can't practice as hard as I used to. :(

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Entertainingly enough, as the folks here go around in circles on whether Aikido is meant to be effective in fighting or not, I'm engaged in a conversation over on Quora with someone who insists that Aikido isn't used in MMA because its techniques are too deadly and are banned under MMA rules. Now that I've progressively debunked most of his claims regarding the rules, he's now down to claiming they fall under "unsportsmanlike conduct", because you could break an opponent's neck with a knifehand and that would be unsportsmanlike.

Still waiting to find out if he actually trains Aikido or is just a fanboy. I'm suspecting the latter.

I see the same mentality on that forum from Aikido supporters that I saw in Pranin's article that Spinedoc posted; The clear disdain for competitive fighting, and the belief that martial arts that eschew a competitive side are somehow much more "deadly" and "effective" than more sportive styles.

That is truly a dangerous mentality to have. Not only does it lull you into a false sense of ability, but it makes you purposely ignore useful techniques because they're supposedly "sport". As I said before, the Triangle Choke and the Closed Guard were both born out of competitive sport, and both have very real self defense applications. What a loss to Bjj if the founders of the style opposed bringing "sport techniques" into the art.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see the same mentality on that forum from Aikido supporters that I saw in Pranin's article that Spinedoc posted; The clear disdain for competitive fighting, and the belief that martial arts that eschew a competitive side are somehow much more "deadly" and "effective" than more sportive styles.

That is truly a dangerous mentality to have. Not only does it lull you into a false sense of ability, but it makes you purposely ignore useful techniques because they're supposedly "sport". As I said before, the Triangle Choke and the Closed Guard were both born out of competitive sport, and both have very real self defense applications. What a loss to Bjj if the founders of the style opposed bringing "sport techniques" into the art.

I didn't know the closed guard was born out of competition. Tell me more about that. Any idea when, or where for that matter?

Latest Discussions