Aikido exploration...

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's a great show called Samurai Spirit that airs in Japan. Nicholas Pettas is the host and a Karate champion, it's a little longer watch, but worth your time IF you are interested at all in Aikido.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I admire your spirit of sharing for mutual learning..

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering about your thread here from the other day and want to ask you can you think why there is less exploration here as you have tried to encourage than the reams of ill-informed nonsense on the Aikido Hate thread? thank you :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a great show called Samurai Spirit that airs in Japan. Nicholas Pettas is the host and a Karate champion, it's a little longer watch, but worth your time IF you are interested at all in Aikido.

very good, I must say I can see how some of that might work just on simple body mechanics,I've been playing about with chi in my art. And it is at times amazing what you can achieve with it

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like the video.
I was wondering about your thread here from the other day and want to ask you can you think why there is less exploration here as you have tried to encourage than the reams of ill-informed nonsense on the Aikido Hate thread? thank you :)
i think he needs a snazzier title for the thread. Like "aikidoka defeats MMA star." That would drive a conversation. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the video.

i think he needs a snazzier title for the thread. Like "aikidoka defeats MMA star." That would drive a conversation. :)
Akido guy (must undergo spelling simplification cos East Asian stuff is unnecessarily complex with all their extraneous letters so stick it to them by misspelling their ***) "Akido guy just throws self on the floor for no discernible reason and Bas Rutten claim win for MMA" haha.. you could be right.. a little more emotion in the title could increase sales at the door :p

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, very interesting to watch. I especially liked the fact that they use verifiable science to validate the Aikido theory rather than doing the whole wishy-washy "feel the energy" approach.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's a tough one. I'm about half way through the video and some of it has me nodding. Some of it has me shaking my head. In my defense, it's a 45 minute long video and I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a tough one. I'm about half way through the video and some of it has me nodding. Some of it has me shaking my head. In my defense, it's a 45 minute long video and I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.

What parts of it had you shaking your head?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What parts of it had you shaking your head?

I admit tot he same curiousity. My own attention span to online video stuff is that of your average rabbit, so I'd rather hear about your opinion and comment on that as actually watch the entire 45 minutes and develop one of my own.

The written word though? I can read and read for hours.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I admit tot he same curiousity. My own attention span to online video stuff is that of your average rabbit, so I'd rather hear about your opinion and comment on that as actually watch the entire 45 minutes and develop one of my own.

The written word though? I can read and read for hours.

Ok, for me what fascinated me was the Aikido Master's use of "centre of mass" to imbalance his opponent rather than muscle strength. They showed this by studying the electrical impulses produced whenever you use a muscle, and using a highspeed camera to map the centre of mass. When the Kickboxer did the throw, he didn't change his centre of mass at all and instead remained solid and effectively muscled his opponent to the ground with brute force. The Aikido Master on the other hand switched his centre of mass to pull his opponent off balance and then redirect the energy. They then used sensors to detect the electrical impulses in the muscles, and compared normal lifting methods to the Aikido method. Normal lifting using brute force caused a huge reaction from the biceps and cowl muscles, whereas with the Aikido method, there is hardly any reaction at all.

This really hammers home the point that you don't need a lot of strength to beat someone in a fight.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really hammers home the point that you don't need a lot of strength to beat someone in a fight.

A more true statement has yet to be made. Good stuff. Very good grapplers, be they anyone judo or the underpinnings and offshoots of judo, can appear almost magical when this sort of cool stuff actually happens. It's neat in the dojo during practice. Suddenly, you are floating... then gravity grabs ya and down ya go.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll finish the video and give this some thought. I could easily tell you which parts have me shaking my head, but I'm not sure I can explain why yet. :)
Man... you're as bad as my buddy who calls up and says, "Man! You'll never believe what happened last night!"

To which I say, "Really? What?"

"Man, I got to take this call. Be back with you in a bit."

And doesn't call back.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, for me what fascinated me was the Aikido Master's use of "centre of mass" to imbalance his opponent rather than muscle strength. They showed this by studying the electrical impulses produced whenever you use a muscle, and using a highspeed camera to map the centre of mass. When the Kickboxer did the throw, he didn't change his centre of mass at all and instead remained solid and effectively muscled his opponent to the ground with brute force. The Aikido Master on the other hand switched his centre of mass to pull his opponent off balance and then redirect the energy. They then used sensors to detect the electrical impulses in the muscles, and compared normal lifting methods to the Aikido method. Normal lifting using brute force caused a huge reaction from the biceps and cowl muscles, whereas with the Aikido method, there is hardly any reaction at all.

Did they both throw the same partner?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Man... you're as bad as my buddy who calls up and says, "Man! You'll never believe what happened last night!"

To which I say, "Really? What?"

"Man, I got to take this call. Be back with you in a bit."

And doesn't call back.
Lol. Well, I can't really be specific. There are parts that are really interesting, and parts that are infomercial-like. Im sceptical of demonstrations like, "push on my finger."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol. Well, I can't really be specific. There are parts that are really interesting, and parts that are infomercial-like. Im sceptical of demonstrations like, "push on my finger."
I'm prepared to buy into it to the most part, that you can used speed, precision , body mechanics and your oppoinent movement to overcome them seems to be a statement of fact. Its what BJJ is based on,If your good enough at it, it would appear to the observer that your oppoinent is co operating when you have just predicted their movement and used it to gain leverage or unbalance them.
I'm also of a mind to be open minded about the chi aspects, its seems true that having control of your own nervous system allows you far greater strengh and speed than normal people might have. There many examples of people doing thing that most of us would regard as borderline impossible, tight rope walking across two building as just one example

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because that video is outright silly, and really shouldn't be taken seriously. It's no different than the tape of Masaaki Hatsumi doing laughable ground work and people (mainly his disciples) believing that it is effective.

Also the hate being thrown towards Aikido isn't always ill-informed. In many cases the hate is well deserved.

Latest Discussions