After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice? Why do you continue to practice MA after years and years and years? At what point do your training goals change to something more then self defense? Why would you practice your martial art for thirty years?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ambition. To always learn more, and be better at what I've already learned. Man's a being of limitless ambition and no matter where I think I am in relations to my goals, there's always a whole lot to learn and a limitless improvement in what I already do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that if you do not practice these skills disappear. So you must hone them, sharpen them so that they will be there for you in a moment of need. If you practice say for several years get a belt and then quit well these skill sets will probably fade and not be there for you when it counts. So always keep practicing!
icon6.gif

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never figured that out, actually. For me it has always been "just a part of my life". I started back about 1963 in Shotokan and just continued on... Got a Black Belt in Tang Soo Do in 1969 while under the influence of a ROK Tech Sargeant. Met my original Kenpo instructor in 1971 after a return from SEA. And just never slowed down.

It's just as natural to me as eating and sleeping. Wish I could give a you personal why and/or wherefore, but it's just there.

Dan

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice? Why do you continue to practice MA after years and years and years? At what point do your training goals change to something more then self defense? Why would you practice your martial art for thirty years?

The reason that I have continued for 20+ years and added and gone into other aspects of the SD world and kept going, gaining knowledge is knowing that their is someone better then me out there and if I should meet them, I want to know that I've done everything I can to equal it out the best I can.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me I want to learn how to do everything I know how to do better and easier lol. I am not looking to do all out brawls anymore I am getting older and lazier so the more efficient I can be the better

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fun.
Socializing.
Exercise.

And best of all, good ol' fashioned paranoia. :uhyeah:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knowing that there are others out there faster, stronger, and perhaps more blood thirsty than myslef keeps me practicing and learning.
I must say it has become part of who and what I am, and without the arts I am not the same person

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I keep practicing in order to stay strong and flexible as the years inevitably pass by. I'm not as athletic as I was in my twenties and early thirties, but I believe I'm more balanced and centered than ever.

There is also a sense of obligation to pass along what my teachers were generous enough to teach to me. In giving it to another generation, I am repaying my teachers and paying respect to them.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it is the corny old indesputable line that the practise of the art is a reward in and of itself and that without continual immersion in the art then what you have learned will slip away with alarming rapidity.

Essentially I am striving to be the best Iaidoka I can (of my ryu), despite having the clear knowledge that I shall never be a perfect swordsman. Those rare occasions when I perform a near-perfect draw, cut or noto are more than enough for me.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The challenge of learning something new, the camaraderie of bruises between training partners/friends, and most importantly, its fun.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice?

More learning...

Why do you continue to practice MA after years and years and years?

Becasue a) I have to maintain & b) I like it...

At what point do your training goals change to something more then self defense?

Never have so I wouldn't know... I started out with SD being a focus, did the "proof is in the competition" stuff for a while & realized it was a lie to get students. I'll get into more on this in a few...

Why would you practice your martial art for thirty years?

Let you know when I get there...

On the competition is used for deception part, this isn't specifically aimed at MMA types either, it all boils down to basic brainwashing docturine used in cults.
1. Use the exhaustion to weaken the weaken the physical awareness and mental sharpness, use ritual to initiate/explain docturine.
2. Repeat docturine constantly.
3. Reward those for subscribing to docturine.
4. Reward those for repeating docturine.
5. Seperate the follower of docturine from other docturines and ideas. Bad mother those docturines.

Its a pretty simple and common area of study in psychology and in seen in almost all religions and philosophies. The problem is that when you get into the nuts and bolts of it competition addresses only a small part of the situations involved in SD. Take the karate-school that competes in light contact tap sparring, they have the same short comings as MMA fighters in the situational awareness, lack of a weapons range, restiction on attacking certain points and have a serious lack of education on finishing techniques, but they have the even bigger weaknesses that their students don't have a grappling or take down range and don't learn to take a hit.

I think competition is a good thing but as a focus interfers with SD skills and SD schools have to compete (at least within the school) to improve technically. But, competition needs to reflect SD situations and conditions. The thing with SD training is that there are so many different threats out there; forget the mugger what about the terrorist or the terrorist influenced gangs like Los Zetas or MS13. SD in this day and age has taken a definate need for paramilitary skills. Leaving the question of if your training has reached that far into the SD world?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Iaido is by no means a self defence art. You are training to kill with a sword. Period. End of story.

Walking the streets with a sword is completely impractical in this day of age, so there must be another reason to train in iaido.

It’s about finesse, concentration, accuracy, history, friendship, it’s about self improvement.

Martial arts have a 95% drop out rate. I don’t know about other arts, but those of us who stick around in iaido all have very similar interests and attitudes towards life. These are my life friends.

corwin137

White Belt
Reaction score
Awareness of the deficiencies I have. Regardless of my abilities in this way, I always have stuff to work on.

Cardio. The great equalizer.

Responsibility to the material, and transmitting it.

A lot of it, for me, is that I get a lot of other stuff from training that isn't about the physical aspects as well. Being present. Constant ego-ectomies. Learning to gauge my level of intensity against what is presented. What some folk call "stress inoculation". Stuff like that.

Besides. Since we play with a lot of people, a lot of different sizes, skill levels, training backgrounds- there's always stuff I realize I can't deal with as well as I'd like, if at all. In this way, there's always something to do. As long as I keep coming across people that can pwn me in different areas, I'm never truly ready to "defend myself".

Latest Discussions