Afraid of guns? Read this article

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to post a link to this article by an Oregon woman who finally learned to shoot because it's my personal opinion that most people who describe themselves as 'anti-gun' have a general fear of firearms. And many of those people are women.

I don't know where my innate fear of guns comes from. My brother and his wife are avid hunters, my dad hunted when he was younger, my 85-year-old grandmother was raised with guns (she still owns several of them I recently learned) and my husband was in artillery in the Oregon National Guard.

So you'd think I would be quite used to guns by now. But show me a firearm and my heart starts racing, my palms get sweaty and I feel like running far, far away. They just plain scare me.

Boy Scouts hosted our GS neighborhood for camp two years in a row and we were able to shoot black powder rifles. I was quite impressed at the level of safety. A few anti-gun ladies were turned that day and - most importantly - the opportunity to learn and experience was afforded teenaged girls. This provided reference points for these young women otherwise not afforded.

Just a thought or two. ;)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The unknown is scary for almost everyone. Guns especially so because they are loud, etc.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
it's my personal opinion that most people who describe themselves as 'anti-gun' have a general fear of firearms.

For many years I have thought the exact same thing. I would also add an "ignorance" category. I think many people have been programed through school, media and politics to be "anti gun", but have no experience with them personally.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
150 years ago having a gun around the house was a way of life. Didn't think nothing of it when a neighbor carrying a gun in a holster on his belt plainly visible walked up to you just to say hello, or they're in a bank or store or even the bar.
It's funny (strange) how a few who have had traumatic experiences with firearms are the loudest supporters of anti-gun laws. Running around like chicken little screaming we should get rid of them and letting that thought/feelings permeate our thoughts and patterns which are our lives. Somehow those anti-gun folk gained power and thus influence over how people think and feel about them... I know of one lady who is an anti-gun and I chatted her up a bit and she started having second thoughts.
When confronted with the spontaneous idea of being totally defenseless against an intruder in your home... suddenly you're wishing you had the upper hand with a firearm.

Strength of character I think defines the differences between those who are pro and those who are anti-gun. Nobody wants to kill anyone...nobody who's a decent average human being that is. But to be strong enough to go to that extreme should it be called for it is what I think many anti-gun folks are lacking.

I had violence meted out to me when I was younger, in some cases very extreme violence, but I could be one of those who today abhors violence in any sense of the word. But I'm not, I chose the I'm not taking any crap from anyone anymore route and I think I'm a better person. I don't go out meting violence to anyone, even if they deserve it, but I will resort to it should words fail and if I have to resort to it I'd sure as hell want the upper-most hand I can get... even if it means having to shoot them.

I got lucky, I was exposed to guns and gun safety at a young age and thus have no fear of them. I learned that NO gun in the world has ever spontaneously jumped up and shot someone all on it's own. Some moron or innocent child picked it up, pointed it and pulled the trigger. A gun has to be handled to be dangerous and it's only dangerous in the hands of the ignorant or stupid or just plain mean.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How can so many people be afraid of guns when cars kill so many more?

How can so many people be afraid of guns when more people drown accidently than are killed by guns accidently?

How can so many people be afraid of guns when so many more die by smoking?

How can so many people be afraid of guns when more die by Parkinson's disease than by ALL homicides (not just guns!)

How can so many people be afraid of guns? Ignorance and liberals telling them they are evil and dangerious.

Yes take someone shooting that has never shot before and make it fun for them. You will win them over.

Deaf

Oni-Chan

White Belt
Reaction score
Don't you just love the elitism involved with some of these anti-gunners like Rosie O'Donnell? She is very outspoken anti-gun, then turns around and hires armed bodyguards for her safety! She must feel that guns in the hands of us regular folks would be dangerous because why, she thinks we're morons? It's absurd and pathetic. =/

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't you just love the elitism involved with some of these anti-gunners like Rosie O'Donnell? She is very outspoken anti-gun, then turns around and hires armed bodyguards for her safety! She must feel that guns in the hands of us regular folks would be dangerous because why, she thinks we're morons? It's absurd and pathetic. =/

No Oni, she thinks SHE is a moron with a gun, thus she abdicates her security to others. She also feels if she is a klutz, then most other people have to be to. Ergo, they don't need guns. Let the police protect them.

Deaf

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I'm sure hers is based on misplaced fear.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't you just love the elitism involved with some of these anti-gunners like Rosie O'Donnell?

I'll do you one better, let's talk about Diane Feinstein. She's one of the most anti-gun politicians ever and by her own admission would like to see guns completely banned.
"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe." Associated Press 11/18/93

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out right ban, picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, "I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." CBS-TV's "60 Minutes," 2/5/95

However, she has admitted to carrying a concealed weapon for her own protection.
"And, I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that's what I did. I was trained in firearms. I'd walk to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out, I was going to take them with me." U.S. Senate hearings on terrorism held in Washington, D.C. on April 27, 1995

Disgusting...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry weapons, use them too but am anti the whole populace carrying weapons in this country.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really didn't put this article up or start this thread for political commentary (shocker, I know). It was more of an attempt to encourage people to reach beyond their fear and appreciate and respect firearms as opposed to condemning them as evil.

Most of the people who have this view are women and the article is about a woman who went shooting with friends. I think most women shy away from weapons categorically and I'm convinced this is based on fear.

My intent here was to focus more on the relationship between weapon and person.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I carry weapons, use them too but am anti the whole populace carrying weapons in this country.
Heh, I'm against the whole populace carrying too... there are some bona-fide nuts out there... sheesh.

But that you aren't afraid of them is a good thing. The gist of Shesulsa's intent of the thread. Why are you not afraid of guns and handling of guns? My step-sister will allow them in her presence but absolutely will not touch them. She's had others (friends) die as a result of guns and thus (mistakenly) associates the weapon with the deaths rather than the handler of the weapon being responsible.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, I'm against the whole populace carrying too... there are some bona-fide nuts out there... sheesh.

But that you aren't afraid of them is a good thing. The gist of Shesulsa's intent of the thread. Why are you not afraid of guns and handling of guns? My step-sister will allow them in her presence but absolutely will not touch them. She's had others (friends) die as a result of guns and thus (mistakenly) associates the weapon with the deaths rather than the handler of the weapon being responsible.

I've never been scared of them, I've been trained to use them and look upon them as a tool to enable me to do my job the same as various other pieces of kit I'm issued with. The force isn't the same as other UK ones where they aren't armed. http://nds.coi.gov.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=149705&NewsAreaID=2
To be honest I don't understand being afraid of them as objects, but I'm very very afraid of some people that may use them. I'm also very afraid of some motorists and they way they drive their cars! We have a lad who trains with us, he a pro MMA fighter, doesn't drink or smoke but oh dear his driving! He's on a three month ban at the moment, he goes nowhere slowly and has written off three cars, he's 20 and passed his driving test April last year.

Last edited:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned that NO gun in the world has ever spontaneously jumped up and shot someone all on it's own. Some moron or innocent child picked it up, pointed it and pulled the trigger

Quite a few morons out there, though :)

Truthfully, I am nervous around guns. And swords. And morons, even if there are no guns or swords around :)

Having said that, I am seriously considering investing in a firearm and putting in some time on the gunnery range. Make a nice activity for my GF and I. She loves guns. And swords.

No cracks about morons, too, yous wiseguys! :mad:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I don't understand this 'love' thing about weapons! I could no more love a gun than I could a hammer or screwdriver. Mind, I don't understand loving cars either lol!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to say I don't understand this 'love' thing about weapons! I could no more love a gun than I could a hammer or screwdriver. Mind, I don't understand loving cars either lol!
Exactly they're tools, nothing more. You can kill effectively with a hammer or a screwdriver just as you can with a gun. Dead is dead.

Far as loving cars... hey, it's a guy thing... don't EVEN try to understand it.

Latest Discussions