Advice to Balanced Training

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ninjutsu. talk about mission impossible for finding a good Ninjutsu school. Out of all of the martial arts systems out there, this is one of them where you'll find some strange people. Hollywood definitely did a number on this martial art system.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ninjutsu. talk about mission impossible for finding a good Ninjutsu school. Out of all of the martial arts systems out there, this is one of them where you'll find some strange people. Hollywood definitely did a number on this martial art system.
It may be more true for Ninjutsu. But I had troubles finding a good school in many places. And I have found strange people everywhere. And videos at this level... we can also find for every filmed martial art... :)

If we treat like this every training possibility for the OP, he will end up more confused than before arriving here...

PS: Yes, I started first with Pa Kua, now Ninjutsu... :cool:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may be more true for Ninjutsu. But I had troubles finding a good school in many places. And I have found strange people everywhere. And videos at this level... we can also find for every filmed martial art... :)

If we treat like this every training possibility for the OP, he will end up more confused than before arriving here...

I think insulation is an issue. Not Ninjitsu but for a general look out.

So If the instructor insulates himself from his students. Doesnt spar has secret techniques that you will learn later.

If the top students insulate themselves from lower ranks.

And If the school insulates itself from the rest of the world. Doesn't compete. Doesnt allow students to cross train. Doesnt have any connection with other schools or systems.

so lets use BJJ as an example.

The test here is how good the guy rolls. And people will come out of the woodwork to roll with you. The black belts are not protected by this insulation.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hollywood definitely did a number on this martial art system.

LOL. That´s probably true. Can´t even imagine the degree of weirdos you can find studying that. Believing they are real life ninjas and crap like that

I´ll probably just stick to Wing. It´s the one that gets my attention the most. Or maybe Karate. Seems to be the most common around here, which would make it really easy to find a good school, unless they are all ****, and I hope that´s not the case. Maybe later, when I´m good at it I´ll do Judo, Aikido or Jujutsu.

Although it´s always the doubt of making some of the most effective arts, like MT or Krav Maga. Even if they don´t look too cool, they seem far more effective in real life.

I´ve been looking at videos like that for like half an hour. Those guys get really pissed! I guess I´d be too. Fun to watch though

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't think it will confuse him. I think it's helpful for him to see things like that especially if he doesn't know what a horse stance is. So the next time someone tries the same demo of a horse stance then he will at least see the act as a "red flag" regardless of what system he tries.

He he already knows what a horse stance is and how it really works then the video won't make a difference. When people pick bad schools it's usually because they do not have the knowledge to spot the red flags. Many of us can spot the red flags because we train at good schools and are very familiar with techniques that are found across multiple systems. However, if you don't have similar knowledge then things like what is in that video starts to look legit.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it will confuse him. I think it's helpful for him to see things like that especially if he doesn't know what a horse stance is. So the next time someone tries the same demo of a horse stance then he will at least see the act as a "red flag" regardless of what system he tries.

He he already knows what a horse stance is and how it really works then the video won't make a difference. When people pick bad schools it's usually because they do not have the knowledge to spot the red flags. Many of us can spot the red flags because we train at good schools and are very familiar with techniques that are found across multiple systems. However, if you don't have similar knowledge then things like what is in that video starts to look legit.

Yes I agree. I didn´t even realise the horse video was crap. I mean the parts where he pushes the guys and can´t move them is obviusly stupid, but the rest actually seemed legit!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes I agree. I didn´t even realise the horse video was crap. I mean the parts where he pushes the guys and can´t move them is obviusly stupid, but the rest actually seemed legit!
when doing a horse stance you don't want your knees to go beyond your toes. The guy on the left broke that rule which is why he hops forward when he is grabbed.. The double arm punch to break the grip, put the guy in the blue pants, in more danger than he originally was in. Someone wrapping their arms around your torso like that is not a good thing at all Collegiate Wrestlers will body slam you all day with stuff like that, especially if you are trying to maintain a horse stance.

The very first clip in this video does exactly what Franks says do at the 2:20 mark. In the video the UFC fighter stands up at mark 0:13 with his legs in a horse stance position he throws an elbow to the guy behind him. As his body turns so does his opponent, the elbow misses. The grappler removes his root and slams him on the ground.

This is the explanation that you'll get from most martial arts teacher regardless of the fighting system.

My first sifu used to make his students do a horse stance and he would push us from all angels and not just the side. The pushes weren't big pushes but if you had bad structure the push would either push you off balance or it will cause your torso to bend. The purpose of the pushes were to help the student understand where his or her structure was bad or weak. It was never about how low are how long we could stand in a horse stance. The reality of fighting is that you'll move in and out of a horse stance multiple times. The only time you'll go static with it is when engaged in grappling, but even then it's not something that you try to sit in forever.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL. That´s probably true. Can´t even imagine the degree of weirdos you can find studying that. Believing they are real life ninjas and crap like that

I´ll probably just stick to Wing. It´s the one that gets my attention the most. Or maybe Karate. Seems to be the most common around here, which would make it really easy to find a good school, unless they are all ****, and I hope that´s not the case. Maybe later, when I´m good at it I´ll do Judo, Aikido or Jujutsu.

Although it´s always the doubt of making some of the most effective arts, like MT or Krav Maga. Even if they don´t look too cool, they seem far more effective in real life.

I´ve been looking at videos like that for like half an hour. Those guys get really pissed! I guess I´d be too. Fun to watch though

They have come in to our gym from time to time because our instructor was a purple belt. And even that is still pretty shiny. But he was taught by a top sub wrestler rather than a jitster.

So then they get mangled. And refuse to tap to a purple and get hurt. And walk away all sad.

that method of testing a school exists for two reasons to see where they are at and to see where you are at.

New guy at a gym who is ranked will always spar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok. There is a simple way of finding this out. See if it works in class. You try your method the other guy tries to stop you.

The person with the better method wins.

I mean it can get more complicated. But that is the core you build off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Any stance a person takes can be countered.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All right I think I made up my mind. Will follow Karate or Wing, and if my sifu makes something suspicious I´ll let you guys know! :p

Thanks for all the assistance guys! It´s been a real learning experience!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All right I think I made up my mind. Will follow Karate or Wing, and if my sifu makes something suspicious I´ll let you guys know! :p

Thanks for all the assistance guys! It´s been a real learning experience!
Let your teachers know what you want to get out of your training so that they can make sure that your training matches your goal. To give you an example, I teach Jow Ga Kung Fu but I don't teach everyone how to fight using Jow Ga Kung Fu. Not every student wants to be able to fight using Jow Ga Kung Fu, but for those who do, I make sure that their training will help them accomplish that goal. Teachers aren't mind readers, so be clear on your goals.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I study JKD (concepts) and I have learned a bit of many things - WC, MT, Boxing, BJJ/Grappling, Weapons, Silat, Kali, and more. Its a bit overwhelming actually learning bits from different arts, but also fun and helpful. We have many lessons on how to fight against other systems and methods.

Lately I have been focusing a bit more on traditional JKD.

I will admit the grappling parts are lite in JKD. We don't believe in staying on the ground very long.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Visit as many schools as you reasonably can. The teacher, how he/she teaches, and who you're training alongside are far more important than the style.

If you see anything resembling this, watch a few classes purely for entertainment value. Just don't let them see you laughing...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Visit as many schools as you reasonably can. The teacher, how he/she teaches, and who you're training alongside are far more important than the style.

If you see anything resembling this, watch a few classes purely for entertainment value. Just don't let them see you laughing...

GIGGLES. I like how martial artists do a 7 hit combo after a successful palm strike to the chin strike

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Christ, you can afford all that?

And yes, I am offended, yet forgiving of this easily fixable misconception of those arts. All I can leave is that cross training in all of those is pretty unnecessary if you ask me. You're learning muay Thai for just the elbows and punches, while implying you don't know about the leg-breaking arsenal of kicks, gut-busting, skull rattling range of knees and vicious clinches with their associated sweeps? Yeezus, half an hour of youtube videos would suffice.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I´ve been investigating and found a good Ninjutsu academy with a reasonable price, and Ninjutsu seems very interesting, with the addition of "Who doesn´t like being like a Ninja?" kind of interesting. What do you think about Ninjutsu?

The actual fighting part of ninjitsu is very little. It's mostly about infiltration, exfiltration, espionage and assasination in a medieval Japanese setting. Being vegan is technically a part of ninjitsu c:

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score

That´s about the dumbest thing I´ve seen in YouTube. Some teachers make you believe time stops after you block or land a punch. It´s so f****** dumb!

implying you don't know about the leg-breaking arsenal of kicks, gut-busting, skull rattling range of knees and vicious clinches with their associated sweeps?

Never implied that I didn´t know that, only that I consider TKD to have a far more effective use of legs than MT. Maybe not knee strikes though, but definitely kicks. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised. But as I said, I am sorry for the offense. It´s ignorance, not bad intentions.

Latest Discussions