Advantages

M

Master of Blades

I was recently talking on another forum about this and I thought I might see what you guys feel bout this. The question asked was would you rather have the speed, Strength, Experiance, Weight or just be very well rounded against any opponant.

For me it would have to be Well rounded because Experiance doesnt always mean Skillful. But what would you guys rather have. This can go for all combat conditions against anyone of your choosing. :asian:

OP
A

Astra

This is all very relative.. how much experience? Training 12 hours a day every day since I was five and now I'm 35? In that case I'd really take experience :) There's got to be something useful I learned discovered during 128,000 hours of training..

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
eh...probably great size and strength. more particularly size with height. i'm not short or small...pretty much average sized...but size is a big advantage if you ask me. anyone that tells you different has never been plowed over by someone outweighing you by 100 pounds or so.

other than that...probably highly developed reflexes...

OP
E

Elfan

Experience, the one thats most likely to make me decide not to go in the dark alley with scary people playing with knives.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
Experience, the one thats most likely to make me decide not to go in the dark alley with scary people playing with knives.

Elfan,

I like this and agree with it.

The more experience you have, the more likely you are not to get into a problem. Assuming you took and learned the lesson of your expereince. :D

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I've been told by those that I train with that my speed is my biggest advantage, personally.
Strength- always helpful to have more.
Weight- all you really need is what goes along with strength. Any more than that won't help you (unless you're stranded in the wilderness and have no food.)
Experience is what we're all training for isn't it? (Along with the physical ability that should accompany it.)

Ultimately, aren't we all trying to be well-rounded fighters?

It's good to focus on your stregnths, but I think that over-concentrating on them will leave you with too many weaknesses.

Do you really need experience to keep you out of those dark alleys? I always assumed that that was just common sense.

OP
D

Disco

EXPERIENCE..........

Refering to Old Saying's when talking about experience.

"Old age and cunning will overcome youth and stupidity every time".......

Example: The Old Bull and the Young Bull on the hill. The young bull says exictedly, "Lets RUN down to the pasture and get a cow"...... The Old bull says, "Lets WALK and get em ALL"......

OP
M

MartialArtist

Speed and Agility - As in perception and muscle movement. Who cares if you have a 2000 psi rating, why bother if you can't hit?

On the comment on a person outweighing you by 100 pounds. More weight, more body to use the force. But, technique and speed are needed to maximize your weight's maximum. But, usually, bigger guys tend to be slower than smaller guys (NFL linemen vs. NFL DB's). Would you rather be hit by a hummer going 120 MPH, or a semi going at 50? You're screwed either way, unless you happen to be a tank.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
On the comment on a person outweighing you by 100 pounds. More weight, more body to use the force. But, technique and speed are needed to maximize your weight's maximum. But, usually, bigger guys tend to be slower than smaller guys (NFL linemen vs. NFL DB's). Would you rather be hit by a hummer going 120 MPH, or a semi going at 50? You're screwed either way, unless you happen to be a tank.

that's you opinion then...i still say size and strength will win out over technique most of the time. i think brute force should be classified as a style of martial art one day :D. and i wouldn't want to get hit by anyone in the NFL...except maybe martin gramatica...:D

Latest Discussions