Optimum Physique without need to meet weight class?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everybody.

For me, one of the most illuminating responses was by Monkey Turned Wolf:

"Not all highest-level athletes work themselves to the bone to fit specific weight classes. There are plenty in whichever sport that either accept whatever weight class they fall into, or try to push for the upper limit rather than the lower. It's not common, but it does happen."

This had never occurred to me and I didn't realize such cases existed. Worded in that way, to me, now that I think about it, that seems to be the closest and broadest answer to my question.

You can't help but respect a fighter that foregoes a potential for a competitive advantage (cutting weight to enter a weight class) and instead focuses on becoming as strong, as fast, and as skilled as possible with the body they were born with, while encounter larger opponents in the higher weight class.

To clarify the other essence of my original question, imagine for a given adult with a given height, there is a spectrum for body weight ranging from malnourished to obese. Of course, any of these extremes aren't going to be optimal when were talking about combat sports.

Assuming an adult male 5'-9" tall, examples of high-level competitors would be at around the following typical weights:
- 145 lbs (MMA)
- 140 lbs (Boxing)
- 163 lbs (Wrestling)
- 128 lbs (Taewondo)
- 161 lbs (Judo)

For busy adults with non-athletic occupations, I'd say it'd be very challenging, if not borderline impossible, to maintain those fighting weights on an ongoing basis (especially as one ages). Assuming a young adult male decided to try out a variety of disciplines like the above examples, what weight range would be considered "maintainable" and not cause undo hinderance to proficiency?

Thanks and appreciate any and all input!
How much time a week would they dedicate to their training ? How much social sacrifice are they willing to make ? How willing are they to put off other goals ? The path to becoming an competitive athlete is often about the choices we make and how accommodating the other things in life can be to support that goal. What's maintainable for one may not be maintainable for another.

A typical adult with a non-athletic occupation may find it challenging but with the proper support, it is not impossible.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess if I had to stereotype an "optimum physique" for martial arts it would be an Olympic gymnast. They are able to use their body and have the flexibility/agility/strength to perform any of the moves that would be required of them.

A lot of what we see in the realm of "martial arts physiques" is going to be dictated by culture and diet. For example, a Shaolin monk is usually a wiry low fat build because of their training and lifestyle but not overly muscular (as in big muscles, not definition). A person living in the US has access to a different diet and for the most part isn't going to be doing a lot of manual labor to get stronger and develop muscles through work. Most likely, they will be supplementing with other training. Depending on their approach will dictate how their physique turns out. Do they select a bodybuilding type approach that is focused on hypertrophy? Do they select crossfit? Do they focus on bodyweight/parkour?
I have no comment on whether it's better to be lighter or more muscle for MA, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Just like what physique is better for football, it all depends on what the person want to do.......Or maybe that you get what you get in your physique, you just choose the MA that fits what your physique.

As for size, diet has a lot to do with it. In the older days, people in China and Hong Kong(where I lived till 73) are short and small. When we went back to HK in 2006, it was very noticeable that people are a lot taller and bigger. China went through a lot of internal turmoils and being invaded. Lives were really hard, not enough food and all. Now things got a lot better, people are eating good, they grow bigger. So even people that practice MA might not be as small anymore. I used to be call big and fat in Hong Kong back in the older days, we went back in 2006, I did NOT stand out amount them, in fact I felt "small"!! I remember in the older days, it's normal for girls to be 5'1" and 90lbs!!! I was not short, just overweight before. Now, I just short and don't stand out at all there.

One funny thing, back in the days, chicken were a lot smaller BUT taste really good. When I first came here, I thought the chicken here was so meaty, but no taste. But even when I went back in the 90s, I noticed chicken in Hong Kong was a lot meatier, BUT no taste like in US!!!! The kind of food might make a lot of difference on the weight of the people. All the artificial methods growing food might have something to do with the weight of the people. That's getting off the topic.