Acronym Fails?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that many TKD acronyms are similar acronyms to other popular abbreviations (especially on the internet). You have...

Kukkikwon, which could just as easily be abbreviated with a third K instead of the W.
World Taekwondo Federation, which has the same acronym as What The Frankfurter
And recently, I attended the Lee Martial Arts Open, which when abbreviated (which it was on some fliers) looks an awful lot like Laughing My Aardvark Off

Okay, I changed some of the words to avoid using profanity, but you get the idea. It just seems like there are a lot of questionable acronyms in TKD.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good on you, mate...although this post could just as easily go in the Comedy Club thread.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I've only noticed it with Taekwondo. So it's either/or.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's Kukkiwon, not Kukkikwon, so at least that's not an issue. That would've been pretty bad, haha.

As far as the "WTF", admittedly, it still does crack me up a little sometimes to type that. It also means I can't actually use the abbreviation much, especially around kids/parents, to avoid misunderstanding.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh, I've always read it kukkikwon. Probably because I'm used to kwan or kwon associated with Korean martial arts.

The others still stand. Also, "Dan" as the ranking system is kinda funny to me because my name is Daniel.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Around my house, when something goes wrong, or is unexpected, we usually yell "World Taekwondo Federation!" instead of the other acronym for WTF. :boing1:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Around my house, when something goes wrong, or is unexpected, we usually yell "World Taekwondo Federation!" instead of the other acronym for WTF. :boing1:

Well, it has quiet down on the organizational front, but WTF was certainly in my mind, reading the excerpts....:lol:

(Aardvark....:lol:)

Latest Discussions