Academic Requirements

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind, every instructor is different. However, in this case, his home situation was resulting in many negative feelings that carried over to how he treated his fellow students (short fuse, disrespect, tendency to overreact etc.). As a traditional organization, we believe in Taekwondo as a holistic Way of Life.
In this case, since his home life was causing negative behavior that affected others, we felt it was in his best interest to get that cleared up before allowing him to wear a black belt from our organization. He did end up testing by the way. Never got past 1st dan.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said several times that I support an academics before karate approach; I'm not saying that the ideal way to do this is to use a GPA requirement or check report cards. I don't do either; instead, for youth students, we make it very clear to the parents that there is never a conflict between school and martial arts. School wins, hands down. A very promising student had to drop out because his grades suffered -- but that was his parents's call.

I am aware of one school that does things a little differently. They check the kids's grades -- and if their grades aren't satisfactory, instead of working out -- the kid does homework. This is, in part, a reflection of the community where many of the parents wouldn't make the kids do school work or just couldn't help them, and where it's much, much preferable that the kid be in the school, not on the streets.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
How about some sort of test in english, maths and lets say science and if you don't pass your not clever enough to do martial arts!
now thats a great idea!!!!

it was mentioned before that adults need to have there life in order to be able to grade - O my GOD what rubbish! If my instructor started this sort of thing. He would just be a black belt not an instructor because he wouldn't have any students to teach.

I want an instructor to teach TKD. I don't need a life style GURU!

I do like this thread.:)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, considering that one of our aspireing instructors dropped off the face of the earth....doing meth as I have been told...not exactly I would want around me or my kids as influence...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, considering that one of our aspireing instructors dropped off the face of the earth....doing meth as I have been told...not exactly I would want around me or my kids as influence...

And that is a big point here.....When you test someone for rank, you are building the next generation's instructors. I have HAD instructors who were dirtbags. They didn't pay bills, got thrown in jail, etc. Their primary job was a martial arts instructor and they were INHO completely worthless human beings, outside of MA. And believe it or not....it affect their ability to teach and train. First off - if you come in still hung over - not a good learning environment and a HORRIBLE example. I don't care if they are the greatest martial artist in the world, how can they be respected?

But then there is the other idea that a black belt or any rank isn't just a measure of your martial arts ability - and that is the REAL debate. If you think that the belt just shows how much you know and how good you are, that is fine, you don't need academics or "life style coaching." But if you subscribe to the idea that a rank and martial arts in general is more of a whole person concept and a way of life....then you HAVE to have some other measure of one's outside performance.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say again: I am a school teacher as well as a TKD instructor, and school comes first. I put this on the same level as expecting my students - of whatever age - to put family before class. It is a demonstration of responsibility - and if you cannot be responsible for your own life, for making good choices in general, then it will be hard for me to believe you will make good choices with what you are learning in class. If your grades are good - great! If they are not good - you will get help. My concern is not so much with the grades themselves, as with the effort shown: I am much more concerned about students with B's, and comments about lack of effort, than I am about students with C's, and comments about trying hard with something that is difficult for them.

Fiendlover, I really do understand what you're saying - but people might take you a little more seriously if you write in complete words instead of text-speak.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a black belt and future Instructor, you are a role model for students coming up. Whether or not you want to be is beside the point.
If someone could care less about school and grades, how do you expect them to care about representing themselves as a black belt from your organization? It also goes back to being a traditional practitioner of a Korean martial art.
A hallmark of Oriental philosophy is respect for scholarliness and academics. One of the reasons why Asian-American students do well in school: their parents and family put a premium on education. If you incorporate traditional philosophy into your training, it is only natural academic excellence will exist side by side with hard training. Grandmasters like Won Kuk Lee understood this and made it part of his curriculum.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind, every instructor is different. However, in this case, his home situation was resulting in many negative feelings that carried over to how he treated his fellow students (short fuse, disrespect, tendency to overreact etc.). As a traditional organization, we believe in Taekwondo as a holistic Way of Life.
In this case, since his home life was causing negative behavior that affected others, we felt it was in his best interest to get that cleared up before allowing him to wear a black belt from our organization. He did end up testing by the way. Never got past 1st dan.
ok thats different. if it affects ur martial arts training/teaching then yeah it should get cleared up b4 he becomes a black belt.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will say again: I am a school teacher as well as a TKD instructor, and school comes first. I put this on the same level as expecting my students - of whatever age - to put family before class. It is a demonstration of responsibility - and if you cannot be responsible for your own life, for making good choices in general, then it will be hard for me to believe you will make good choices with what you are learning in class. If your grades are good - great! If they are not good - you will get help. My concern is not so much with the grades themselves, as with the effort shown: I am much more concerned about students with B's, and comments about lack of effort, than I am about students with C's, and comments about trying hard with something that is difficult for them.

Fiendlover, I really do understand what you're saying - but people might take you a little more seriously if you write in complete words instead of text-speak.

Right. Old habits die hard.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But even if he were a model student in class, we would still require adequate grades before testing.
Remember, black belt testing is a privilege not a right. We reserve the right to determine who tests and who does not, much like your parents reserve the right to say "You're not getting your driver's license until your grades improve."
And a high school or college has the right to withhold a diploma until your grades improve do they not?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fiendlover,

I started TKD in high school & instantly feel in love with. I was a good student before TKD, but my grades fell off soon after I started. I poured ove MA magazines instead of hitting the books. When my sa bum found out, he set a standard (with my parents) for what my grades needed to be. If I didn't meet them, he wouldn't teach me! A bachelors & masters degree (& my own dojang) later, I am most grateful that he cared enough about me to be concerned with my whole life, not just my time in the dojang.

Look at some of the instructors we have on MT: Laywers, school teachers, college profesors. Even the full time school owners are very bright, well-rounded folks. Take it from an old guy, it matters.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a good possibility I will be teaching Tae Kwon Do to teenagers with issues going on in their lives. You can bet grades will be a factor in their ability to test. If they don't maintain decent grades, they don't test. It's that simple.

Latest Discussions