a tournament to remember

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got beck from a small tournament in N.H. Only about 10 schools or so where represented with maybe 15 - 20 people or less being there from each school ( except the host school for this is one of their annual get together).
I must say that it is (and always has been) a well run tournament with all parts running smoothly. Competition was great and I only saw one instance all day where I thought someone might have deserved to take a trophy and did not. The young man did a hard tension form and was not given the scores I thought he should have but that is always a personal things and subject to the judges point of view. All in all I think everyone was happy most of the day.
There was one surprise that occurred just as the Black Belt meeting began. I heard the announcement and looked at my son Charlie and asked if he was going to get off his *** and attend the meeting. Now you have to understand he has never worn anything but a white belt in class or in public before. He never wanted or asked for ranking and it was never questioned as to what rank he was he simply competed where he was told and no one ever questioned it. So to make a long story short I had him get a belt , that just happened to be in my bag, and put it on for the first time and attend the meeting. I know he felt out of place and self conscious but what the hell it had to happen some time.
We also made plans to attend the summer camp given by the host school for their students (again one of their large in system events) and where surprised to learn that it had been discussed by a few of their ranking Black Belts that we are going to be given a slot to teach or we will be working with some of the people on a one to one bases . That should be interesting. I guess I can fell that cold coming on already and should start getting ready to let my boss know I’m going to be sick for a couple days.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds Like a greta time and your son must have been in shock to wear a BB that he normanily is not required to wear.
This summer camp what is it going to be over and can all people attend or only those schools that have been invited?

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The summer camp is usually for people of that system only and most who attend are junior students learning forms. The senior members go there to get together , talk, drink??, and have a good time while getting a look at the youth coming up.
It is advertised once a year in the tournament brochure but I have never seen more than one or two outsiders there.
I am sort of a member of the system but not a dues paying member. I had the privilege of knowing the late GM dr. Pai and being student of his a long time ago. I have been considered a member of the organization for many years but do not wear their patch but I do teach some of their forms to my students.
Charlie and I will be instructing stick and maybe some knife work to those that want some knowledge but have never been exposed to it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time, man I envy you and Charlie now:rofl:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have no fear we will come away with more forms and knowledge than we go there with so it is an even trade plus a good time with those I call friends

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
awsome.. great story man! :)

I want to start doing some tournaments soon...

I also want to work with you and Charlie on stick and knife stuff :D

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tournament are a great place to meet people and possibly make friends that will last a life time. Just rmember they are not all about the winning but the learning is a major fact in what you should attend them for.
When you do go to one let us know your thoughts on the tournament and how you do

Latest Discussions