A theoretical match up. Who will win?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Bob and James.

Same weight, same height, same endurance, same strength.

No weapons. No grabbing any physical object in the environment and using it to their advantage.

Bob is a hardened criminal who's been to 100 street fights and ended up killing 50 people in 50 of those fights. The rest are him winning but not killing, him losing but surviving, or a stalemate. James is an elite mixed martial artist who although only had 5 total professional fights, have actually sparred against 100 people in varying fighting styles with whatever rules thrown at him and ended up dominating in 50 of those 100 fights.

Bob is the aggressor and he wants to mug James. James, recognizing Bob is a legitimate threat, decides to not hold back.

The setting is an empty parking lot noon time.

Both are physically fresh. So it's not like James just got out of an exhausting sparring session or Bob is sore from lifting weights.

Bob is a Catholic, James is a Protestant. It matters. It just does.

How do you think it will play out?

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce lee, Jackie Chan and Clint Eastwood run in and beat them both up and they all jump on clints horse and ride off to the cobra Kai dojo to have a beer with Kung fu panda, master splinter and the ninja turtles

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bruce lee, Jackie Chan and Clint Eastwood run in and beat them both up and they all jump on clints horse and ride off to the cobra Kai dojo to have a beer with Kung fu panda, master splinter and the ninja turtles

Ale or lager?

Real men drink ale. Only soyboys drink lager.

So will Bruce Lee drink ale or lager? These are the questions.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Bob and James.

No weapons. No grabbing any physical object in the environment and using it to their advantage.

Bob is a hardened criminal who's been to 100 street fights and ended up killing 50 people in 50 of those fights. The rest are him winning but not killing, him losing but surviving, or a stalemate. James is an elite mixed martial artist who although only had 5 total professional fights, have actually sparred against 100 people in varying fighting styles with whatever rules thrown at him and ended up dominating in 50 of those 100 fights.

Bob is the aggressor and he wants to mug James. James, recognizing Bob is a legitimate threat, decides to not hold back.

Both are physically fresh. So it's not like James just got out of an exhausting sparring session or Bob is sore from lifting weights.

how can james be an elite fighter if he has only had 5 fights

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
how can james be an elite fighter if he has only had 5 fights

It's because of the simple fact that he got to that level. Enough competence to get a fight from Dana White.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's because of the simple fact that he got to that level. Enough competence to get a fight from Dana White.
I don't know for sure, but I doubt you're getting a fight from Dana White without any other professional fights. Especially if you only win 50% of those fights.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ale or lager?

Real men drink ale. Only soyboys drink lager.

So will Bruce Lee drink ale or lager? These are the questions.

Learn to walk on your hands...give you something to do. It does amazing things for posture and balance....and upper body strength.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
James dumps a magazine into Bob and then calls 9-1-1 to report a self-defense shooting.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Bob and James.

Criminal. Regardless of how many pro-fights you've had, a fight in the ring is just a prelude to a fight in the real world. Criminals, especially criminals like Bob, are hardened and know all sorts of dirty tricks - James' fights have all been with gloves, mouthguards, and maybe headgear.

Even so, it really just depends on the instinct in the end. If James has the grit to use everything, and I mean everything, he might just make it out alive.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does the Catholic attend a mass that is given in Latin or English? It matters.

Ok, it doesn't and I think this is quite silly BUT I will add something that is an EXTREMELY important element, in actual unarmed COMBAT..... luck. Seriously. Here is a REAL match up between people I personally knew. We will call them Mike and Jack. They are typically friends but occasionally get into a REAL fight and I don't mean holding back because of their friendship, I mean trying to hurt the other one. Mike wins most of the time (this has went on for a while). One day, they start fighting AGAIN and Mike goes for a double leg. Jack manages to side step and Mike runs HEAD FIRST into a stump. Mike was knocked completely unconscious, surprisedhe didn't permanentlydamage his neck. Fights are very dynamic, there are lots of variables, and the outcomes are quite unpredictable. That said, people excel at what they do most. Everything else being relatively equal, a guy who fights in parking lot brawls will be better at parking lot brawls and a guy who fights on a mat will be better on a mat (generally speaking)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does the Catholic attend a mass that is given in Latin or English? It matters.

Ok, it doesn't and I think this is quite silly BUT I will add something that is an EXTREMELY important element, in actual unarmed COMBAT..... luck. Seriously. Here is a REAL match up between people I personally knew. We will call them Mike and Jack. They are typically friends but occasionally get into a REAL fight and I don't mean holding back because of their friendship, I mean trying to hurt the other one. Mike wins most of the time (this has went on for a while). One day, they start fighting AGAIN and Mike goes for a double leg. Jack manages to side step and Mike runs HEAD FIRST into a stump. Mike was knocked completely unconscious, surprisedhe didn't permanentlydamage his neck. Fights are very dynamic, there are lots of variables, and the outcomes are quite unpredictable. That said, people excel at what they do most. Everything else being relatively equal, a guy who fights in parking lot brawls will be better at parking lot brawls and a guy who fights on a mat will be better on a mat (generally speaking)
I am going to copy @Buka ; you can't fix stupid. :)

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am going to copy @Buka ; you can't fix stupid. :)

While I totally agree that maintaining a friendship with someone you KNOW you will periodically try to stomp the poop out of, while they are doing the same to you, is less than responsible decision making.... I have to disagree, IF you are considering the actual mechanics of the situation "stupid". Fights (real fights) are quite dynamic and many unexpected things take place, during them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I totally agree that maintaining a friendship with someone you KNOW you will periodically try to stomp the poop out of, while they are doing the same to you, is less than responsible decision making.... I have to disagree, IF you are considering the actual mechanics of the situation "stupid". Fights (real fights) are quite dynamic and many unexpected things take place, during them.
But the dynamic(s) you describe are most often After whatever opening volley initiates the fight. Stupid usually occurs well before the first blow.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Bob and James don't get arrested for fighting in a parking lot at Noon... I think I'd put money on Bob. 100 real fights vs. 5.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Catholic versus Protestant thing only matters in Northern Ireland and certain parts of Scotland. If it's one of 'those' fights all bets are off. The OP is bumping his gums again instead of training.

Latest Discussions