A teacher's teacher...

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions, especially from anyone who's an instructor.

Would it be considered disrespectful if I decided to train with one of my former teacher's instructor? This is all without bringing this up with that former instructor.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How long has it been since you have trained with your former teacher?

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How long has it been since you have trained with your former teacher?
I'd say it's probably been close to 5 years, if not more.

And what were the circumstances of leaving -- or of seeking the newer instructor?
Well my reason for leaving goes back to my earlier postings of how my former instructor's focus moved more towards the business side of training, and placed less emphasis on training. It's here I should probably mention that my reason for being somewhat secretive is because I'm almost certain that if I made my intentions known, there would be some effort to discourage me.

As for why I was thinking of training with his instructor, it's mainly because that teacher's background in the art is a little more extensive, whereas my instructor's background- while still a capable teacher- was not as extensive.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The way I see it, this is America train as you wish.
I know that's the attitude I SHOULD take, but having been part of the group for some time, I've seen how much verbal/online bashing my previous group is capable of (hence, also the reason why I'm so vague about my background, and why I really enjoy the anonymity this forum allows for.)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
After I hit 4th Dan, I ended up moving my instruction to my Instructor's Instructor. Not by my choice, but by necessity. It was the only way for me to move up.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Different art, but my Sensei encourages us to drive out and train with his teachers, his opinion is that it will help our iaido and hence the art in general.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Different art, but my Sensei encourages us to drive out and train with his teachers, his opinion is that it will help our iaido and hence the art in general.
But what if your teacher didn't encourage you?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin 47 I would say that after 5 years you should be able to study with whom you wish. You no longer study under your first instructor so why not seek out someone you know has the knowledge you want. If asked by the new instructor you can always tell him your reasons for leaveing the first instructor but if he dose not ask it is up to you if you bring up the subject

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It would depend on my experience with him. If I felt it was lacking I would probably explore other places to train. MA is about improving yourself, if you’re not accomplishing that where you are…..what’s the point?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Would it be considered disrespectful if I decided to train with one of my former teacher's instructor? This is all without bringing this up with that former instructor.

It depends on a number of things. I went thru something similar. I had trained with my original Kempo inst. for quite some time. Another gentleman joined the school, advanced thru the ranks and eventually left to open his own school. While my original teacher took offense to this and grew to dislike him, I still maintained a good friendship. In fact, I invited him and his girlfriend at the time, to my wedding.

From time to time, I'd train at this other persons dojo. One thing led to another, and my ties with my original teacher were eventually severed.

IMO, I felt that I should be able to pick who I want to be friends with. Just because my teacher didn't like this other guy, he felt that I should dislike him as well. Sorry, doesnt work that way. I'm my own person, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone tell me who I can/can't be friends with.

Personally, I feel that what you do on your own time is your business. Some may disagree and feel that you should tell your teacher what you're doing, even ask permission if you can train in another art at the same time. Again, I disagree. You should be able to do what you want, not function like a preprogrammed robot.

So, all that being said, it all depends. What kind of relationship do you have with your teacher? What is the relationship between him and this other person?

In the end, as long as you are willing to accept whatever happens, you're free to do what you wish.

Mike

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure what the personal politics are in this situation, but my wife teaches aikido and she's more than pleased to have her students train with her teachers or even with teachers non-affiliated with her.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would hope that all my students would also seek out other instructor's! That is why we have so many seminar's and bring in a wide variety of people to train with. (all in the quest for knowledge)

As to your specific situation I think that if you have not trained with this person in 5 years then it is okay and if ever brought up just say it was more convenient.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
A warrior chooses his own path... regardless of outside influence or stimulus.
It should always be about training for what is practical and actual for you. If its not, then got to where it is or create it where you are.
Your fate rests in no mans hands but your own. Train wherever you can with whoever you can as much as you can as long as it suits YOUR purpose and your perception of things. Its not up to the trainer to mold your reality... its up to your training to forge it....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Then explain to him why you are doing what you are doing. Hopefully he blesses you, but if not, who is he to stand in the way of where you think your journey is to go? Students often find other paths than the ones their instructors trode, and often their instructors aren't real happy about that. In your case, you are desiring to tread exactly the path that he did, its hard to imagine what sort of protest he could come up with.

This is your journey, not his.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A warrior chooses his own path... regardless of outside influence or stimulus.
It should always be about training for what is practical and actual for you. If its not, then got to where it is or create it where you are.
Your fate rests in no mans hands but your own. Train wherever you can with whoever you can as much as you can as long as it suits YOUR purpose and your perception of things. Its not up to the trainer to mold your reality... its up to your training to forge it....
This is another one of those moments that deserve that moment-of-realization songs we see in martial arts movies. It makes sense.

I guess I'm just a little apprehensive due to the likelyhood that there will be trash-talking directed towards me from my former teacher and training group.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, but from everything you've said about your former group, they're the type to trash talk no matter what. ;)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I am going to simplify this. He is your former instructor. You are free to train with whomever you wish. Since you no longer train with him, do not allow him to direct your training now.

People will trash talk. Let them. If they trash talk without care, depending on the content, you may be able to sue them for libel and take the funds won from the suit and use them to finance your future training.

As long as you are not trash talking your former instructor or school and simply proceeding with your training, anyone trashtalking you will look like what they are: sour grapes.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Latest Discussions