A quick note to shoplifters

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1)don't steal.
2)if you steal and we catch you, don't fight. Just come back to the store with us quietly.
3) if you DO fight us, don't try to GRAPPLE two guys at once, no matter how muscular you are. You WILL lose, and now instead of a misdemeanor you get charged with a felony.
4) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES VIOLATE ANY OF THE AFFORMENTIONED POINTS IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILD!!!

*facepalm*

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sheesh. When I was last in Reno I saw a guy tangle with the 6 security guards who had literally ringed them. He went after the smallest (and only female) guard. As you can imagine, he was quickly buried beneath hundreds of pounds of security guard. Dumb move. Sometimes you can't make things any better but you can almost always make them worse.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tweaker in the ER last night "I'm leaving"
Me "Sorry man, but you can't. The psych folks have you on a hold to go to detox."
Tweaker "You can't stop me!"
Me "I'd rather not have to..."
Tweaker "I can kick you ***!"
Me "Doesn't matter if you can or not. You're making the mistake of thinking this will be a fair fight. It won't be. Maybe you could just chill and do things the easy way?"
Tweaker "**** you! (Pulls back fist)
Me: Grab, twist, down you go... *thump*
4 security officers: *squish*
Tweaker "Ouch! Ouch! Oh! gedoffame! Ouch! AAHHHH!!!!!!" (that last when I stuck my thumb on a nerve)
Me "When you stop fighting, it will stop hurting..."

I call it "beer muscles".

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me "Sorry man, but you can't. The psych folks have you on a hold to go to detox."
Me "Doesn't matter if you can or not. You're making the mistake of thinking this will be a fair fight. It won't be. Maybe you could just chill and do things the easy way?"
Tweaker "Ouch! Ouch! Oh! gedoffame! Ouch! AAHHHH!!!!!!" (that last when I stuck my thumb on a nerve)

Good times.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ones that get me are the ones who give the goods to the kids to sneak out. Way to be an example!

It amazes me in how many ways people can be stupid and make just about any situation worse.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm going to guess that movie plays more often that you would like. Good job from you though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We arrested a guy a few weeks back for prescription fraud. He tells me how he's a bad *** MMA fighter... OK. Later, he slips his cuffs to the front. My partner and I could fight him, but I figure that it's much easier to let him fight the Taser if he gets stupid. Warn him, as my partner is switching the cuffs, that he'll be tased if he doesn't follow directions. He gets stupid, and bucks and tries to run. Doesn't get far before I get the darts in him, and down he goes... Ends up needing to be medically cleared at the hospital, so he gets to ride in the ambulance at first.

Later, my partner advises that at the hospital, he continues to be stupid, and again slips the cuffs. My partner, who doesn't have a Taser, simply gathers all the security guards around, as well as a couple troopers and has them watch as he switches the cuffs. I guess the guy was learning -- because he didn't buck anymore. :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We arrested a guy a few weeks back for prescription fraud. He tells me how he's a bad *** MMA fighter... OK. Later, he slips his cuffs to the front. My partner and I could fight him, but I figure that it's much easier to let him fight the Taser if he gets stupid. Warn him, as my partner is switching the cuffs, that he'll be tased if he doesn't follow directions. He gets stupid, and bucks and tries to run. Doesn't get far before I get the darts in him, and down he goes... Ends up needing to be medically cleared at the hospital, so he gets to ride in the ambulance at first.

Later, my partner advises that at the hospital, he continues to be stupid, and again slips the cuffs. My partner, who doesn't have a Taser, simply gathers all the security guards around, as well as a couple troopers and has them watch as he switches the cuffs. I guess the guy was learning -- because he didn't buck anymore. :D

My favorite tazer clearance story involves a guy whose family called 911 because he was 'acting wierd'. When officers arrived, he was naked, except for a noose around his neck, a knife in one hand, and a club in the other. He charged the officers. He got tazed, but the officer fired with the tazer in the sideways gangster position, so the barbs spread vertically. They brought him in because they couldn't get the barbs out. One was stuck in his sternum (actually in the bone, which doesn't happen often). The other was in his sack...
I think he thought he was going to get sedated or something before they were removed. He was...disappointed...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ones that get me are the ones who give the goods to the kids to sneak out. Way to be an example!

It amazes me in how many ways people can be stupid and make just about any situation worse.

I can't count the times that adults have put items in their kids hoods or in the carseat or stroller.

It's sad that it takes more government paperwork to go fishing than to bring a life into this world. LOL

PS: That was a joke, I really don't want the govt involved in more areas either.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't count the times that adults have put items in their kids hoods or in the carseat or stroller.

It's sad that it takes more government paperwork to go fishing than to bring a life into this world. LOL

PS: That was a joke, I really don't want the govt involved in more areas either.

I have detained a few folks that have put items under infants in strollers or had their kids put the items on under thier clothes. What I always loved was when they get busted the individuals drop the race card almost always. Sorry folks I'm not harassing you because of the color of your skin, I'm harassing your for the $600.00 worth of stolen merchandise on your person.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was 12 I stole an item from K Mart. I had to lay on top of the glass counter and open the sliding door on the othe side. I took the item and put it in my pocket and left the store. As soon as i walked out the door security stopped me and took me up to the security office where they called my parents. I'll never forget the look on my parents face. Total disapointment. I could see their humiliation. I never stole again.
Btw, I took a $2 yo yo. I had $8 in my pocket. wtf? I think it was meant to happen.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"When you stop fighting, it will stop hurting..."
When cops used sticks to beat up on a guy, this guy spit on one cop's face. That cop got mad and knock him out. When that guy was in jail, other guys asked him why did he spit on a cop. He said, "When those cops beat on me, it hurt like hell. After I spit on one cop, he knocked me out, I no longer feel pain after that."

His logic was " When you keep fighting, it will stop hurting..."

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was married to a shoplifter. Talk about your uncomfortable moment when you realize your wife just involved you in a theft.
Sean

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When cops used sticks to beat up on a guy, this guy spit on one cop's face. That cop got mad and knock him out. When that guy was in jail, other guys asked him why did he spit on a cop. He said, "When those cops beat on me, it hurt like hell. After I spit on one cop, he knocked me out, I no longer feel pain after that."

I'm not knocking anybody out. I'm simply holding them down in a way that results in more pain the harder they push against me.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Different situation entirely. Loss prevention officers don't use nightsticks. We don't even get to punch or kick. We DO use pain compliance techniques, but only if the subject or subjects are fighting us and safety is a concern, and even then only enough to control the situation. Most of the time, thieves walk back in of their own accord as soon as we identify ourselves as security.

Swifty20

White Belt
Reaction score
I was married to a shoplifter. Talk about your uncomfortable moment when you realize your wife just involved you in a theft.
Sean

I feel like this could be an interesting story or two if you care to share at all.

CK1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to be an LPO (loss prevention officer), so I smiled when I read the 4 points mentioned by the OP. Being a smaller guy, I would use what I know to my advantage... It was my experience that MOST people will just say "ok you got me" and come quietly... But sometimes, you get the one that wants to be stupid...
One of my favorites was when PD got there to write the citation for my detainee, he told the cop "...and dude went ape **** on me after I tried to push him out of my way!"
Another one of my favorites was when I stopped a guy that could have easily just moved me out of his way (about 8 inches taller than me and easily 100 lbs more than me). He was one of the calmest I ever detained... I asked him what he was thinking when I stopped him because he didn't try to put up a fight... His answer "Well, I figure if someone as small as you has the balls to stop me, you probably know something so it's better if I just do what I'm told."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My partner and I could fight him, but I figure that it's much easier to let him fight the Taser if he gets stupid.
I good friend of mine was a cop but he is a detective now in Dallas. Whenever there was a chance that he could test his MA skill, he always asked other cops to step back so he could have some fun.

Latest Discussions