A question for the instructors on the board

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I spar with all of my students regardless of rank. Like many of the previous posters, it helps them with their confidence and I give them pointers as well. I also adjust the intensity based on the rank, age, ect. of the student I am sparring.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes,
I bring the level that the student brings. If there 16 and under
I do more controlling arts. and tap them around. I do let them get is some shots on me. it helps them with there training.

17 and older If you hit me hard I will return the same power or just a little harder. I tell my students, you set the level you want.

My higher ranks and I mix it up. Some joke around in the changing room and say. well tonight I will see where I am at. and bring a high level of attack. Its a ton of fun.

we have had broken noses, fingers, wrist, knees, ribs, shoulder issue,
myself included.

Kosho

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not spar as often as i used to but I still enjoy getting on the floor with whomever is there that night no matter what rank.

atinsley

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an instructor, just a student, but all of the instructors at my school spar with students, no matter their rank.

I find that sparring with the instructor is a great learning experience for me; I see, and feel :), my mistakes, quickly.

We all do things subconsciously and it sometimes takes another person to point it out; one of the things that I do is lead with my left leg. Sparring with my instructor showed me this, and now that I know about it, I can work on not doing it.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes i spar with all my studetns white to black. I feel the lower rank benefit from my experience and I don't fight them completely different than I fight a black belt though.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Sparring is an instructional tool, I'll leave holes in my defense for students to capitalize on, I'll repeatedly attack weaknesses in their structure, then show them how to fix it. I generally fight to just above the level of the guy I'm going with, and when I spar someone better they hopefully do the same to me. Nobody learns anything by being completely overwhelmed.

This is exactly how all black belts spar color belts at my school.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At my school we practice both traditional Karate and MMA. The traditional Karate sparring I'll do with all the students, as already stated it's a great learning experience not just for them but for myself. As for the MMA part, I will start them with the basics of grappling and even let them do some rolling at pretty much any age but when it comes to adding the striking I don't let anyone under 16 participate, and even then I will base it on skill level. I've known some students who are great with traditional sparring but not really cut for MMA fighting.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you feel that this good for the students? Personally I love sparring my instructor for many reasons. He is smaller than me and has a different fighting style than me so it keeps me on my toes. Plus he is very critical (in a good way). So i learn a lot when sparring him

Thanks for the response

B

Of course, the more people you have to spar with the better.

I can also "feel" what they are doing, especially with ground work, better then I can sometimes see it, so it helps me coach them too.

ALso keeps me from getting too lazy ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course. How else? Beginning students are some of the most dangerous to spar with. You don't know what they're about to do. They don't know what they're about to do. An instructor can calibrate the sparring to teach different things or stretch the student in ways which he or she needs. That's something another beginner or intermediate can't do.

What if the student submits or gets one in on you? You smile, shake the hand and say "Good job!" It means that you've gotten through to someone and shows that your ego isn't getting in the way.

setboy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you as instructors spar with students?

Yes. All of the instructors where I teach spar.

If yes: Do you have a certain rank requirement?

No
What do you feel are the benefits for your student and yourself?

the student gets better at sparing. The teachers get better at teaching how to spar. it's fun for both(most of time)

I ask out of general intrest and because I know that the main instructor at another school does not spar with people unless they are a 3rd degree or higher.

kind of sounds like a ego problem to me.

Raphael

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I train, my instructor has everyone spar, including beginners. He is more likely to match beginners with black belts or senior kyu for safety. When I spar with a beginner, I figure it's my own fault if I get hit, and I need to give the other student a safe opportunity to experiment, move around, and try combinations.

The only program I teach, unless I'm assisting my teacher, is an after-four karate club I run a my middle school. Training is only once-per-week, about nine weeks per school term, with kids coming and going. There are no belts or promotions, and we have no sparring gear. What I've done with this group is to invite experienced adult martial artists I know and trust (including my son) to come in for a class at the end of term. The kids spar with us only.

I know the question is about all students, but I'm focusing on kids. This is a good opportunity for younger inexperienced students to practice, and to learn that real life fighting with adults is not what they see in movies like Three Ninjas or Home Alone. When they see adults taking their best punches and kicks, I hope it has an impact on them.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't actively instruct, but I when I substitute, I spar if necessary (odd number of students), and then with anyone.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your sifu is right. The lower the rank, the more dangerous a person is when sparring.

AoG

Agreed. I remember a white belt once who grabbed an intermediate rank student by the gi and started hockey punching him. I think he got a little too caught up in the event.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you as instructors spar with students?

If yes: Do you have a certain rank requirement? Why that rank? What do you feel are the benefits for your student and yourself?

Absolutely. I spar down to slightly above their level, so that they are pressed to improve.

But every once in a long while, I'll pull out a technique just to show that the old man still has a move or two left. :)

Latest Discussions