Can't ask for help?!?!?!?!?!

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Karatekid1975, can you apply hand traps, or is this illegal also. If you can try hand trapping their lead hand while you strike. You can trap with either the lead or back hand. One side note, it seems you enjoy TSD but now you are stuck with TKD and seem not to like it as much. Did you move or your school close down.
Bob :D

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Kempo Bob :)

Nope. No hand trapping either :(

I really loved TSD. I moved to NY from NJ. And the closest TSD school here is about 2 hours away :( I would travel, but the problem is the weather here in the winter sucks LOL. It would make for rough travel.

Plus, I loved the TSD forms, and they (my old dojang) were more self defense minded. They weren't so worried about sport.

It's not that I hate TKD. I've only done it for 8 months. I just prefer point sparring over TKD sparring, because of the wide variaty of hand techniques allowed. But yet, I also enjoy the full contact of WTF TKD sparring. If I can have the variaty of techniques in point sparring mixed with the full contact continous sparring of TKD, I'd be a happy camper :)

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Karatekid, I can't believe your instructor jump on you for wanting to improve yourself on your own time. At my school we're highly encouraged to ask for help if needed and sometimes we get more than what we asked for. I only have an assistant instructors authority but my Sensei still expects the lower belts to respect us (assistant instructors) as if he was there giving the orders. Sometimes he let's us come before or stay after class to practice as long as we lock up. Plus, the upper belts should be doing some form of helping out the lower belts. It is not only helping the lower belt but it is also teaching the upper belt. I've learned more helping the kids classes and explaining things to others because I can see it differently.

As for sparring, the only way to get better is to practice and if you can't practice at the school after hours or before see if someone from class will come over to your house and you can practice there too. Now i'm not saying go full out sparring but go really slow and find your weakness and work on them slowly and then build up your speed. I know, I've worked with a few people outside of class because sometimes there's just not enough time in the class for me to really grasp a technique. Hope you get the help that you need. :)

Latest Discussions