Can't ask for help?!?!?!?!?!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all. I have a question ... or more like a stament. Tell me what ya think of this.

I was asking for help on sparrring. I asked a higher rank. My instructor heard me, and he said that I'm not allowed to ask a senior to spar. What?!?!?!?!?! It's not like I was "challaging" him to a sparring match. I just wanted help/advice on how to improve on sparring. He didn't even have to "gear" up if he didn't want to.

In my old school, we were encouraged to ask for help from seniors. He (my TSD instructor) WANTED us to learn anyway possible. If it was from a senior rank, so be it. That's what they were there for (besides training), to help fellow students. As long as you used proper etiquette (ma'am, sir, please, thank you, ect), most of the seniors didn't mind at all helping out.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In many marital art circles, it seems people have forgotten their place in things. Seniors are there to help the juniors. They are the go-between from the instructor to the juniors. Unwillingness to help would honestly make me question if they were fit for the grade that they wore.

R

RCastillo

With Mr. Bell on this, He's right.I can't understand why your instructor acts this way. Hope he isn't a control freak.:asian:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell

In many marital art circles, it seems people have forgotten their place in things. Seniors are there to help the juniors. They are the go-between from the instructor to the juniors. Unwillingness to help would honestly make me question if they were fit for the grade that they wore.
I have to agree also. He is no different than a sports coach. His goal should be to make you better. If you feel you have a weakness that you need to work on. He should offer to help. If he won't help maybe the members of this forum will. I for one would be willing to help you.
Bob :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course the seniors should help--it's part of their training to be instrcutors some day! They are student teachers.

Some schools are very formal but the instructor should trust his senior students to say "You really need to ask sensei about that one" when they need to do so.

T

theneuhauser

what the heck is that all about?
who are you supposed to spar with, people that are worse than you? but then you would be that person's senior and that's not allowed then either.

when i was a young pup in aikido i used to embarrass some of the senior students when we would free spar. the instructor didnt mind, i think he liked it. sort of takes the wind out one's sails if their ego is bigger than their skill.

S

Shinzu

perhaps your teacher thought you were going to spar without permission. i have noticed that in many schools no one is allowed to spar without the teachers permission due to safety issues.

if this is not the case then i don't know what the teacher was snapping at you for. martial artists are there to help each other. in a schools you are all considered a family. the higher ranks are supposed to help the lower, or vise versa if the case may be. i have learned many things from lower ranks.

if this really sits the wrong way with you, ask your teacher about it. perhaps it is just a misunderstanding.

F

fissure

I couldn't agree more with the responses you have gotton so far Karatekid1975.Only one really sad thought came to mind as a possible reason for this crazy behavior from you instructor. You are training in TKD, which I teach and am very familiar with. MANY TKD schools have become nothing more than a business.Is it possible the Instructor(is he the owner?) doesn't want anyone helping teach for fear of having to pay them/ reduce their fees? I'm not saying this is the case in you school, pleases don't take offence.What does it say about TKD in general that this even entered my head? :( :(

928Porsche

Hmmm, not sure about your situation.

In our dojo, senior students should help other students, but not teach . That's a fine line easily crossed.

F

fissure

Just a SAD thought I had. Maybe teach is not the right word.:(

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fissure.

No, he isn't the "owner". He is under the master/owner, but he teaches most of the classes. I also had that thought the other day (this school is a "business"), but, besides the outragous prices, we do get good instruction.

Shinzu,

I asked him first to help me, but he didn't seem to try to offer help, so I asked a senior a few days later. But he happened to be standing there.

I already explained my "weakness" to my instructor, and asked him for help, but he didn't do nothing. The funny thing was, I didn't interuped class to do so. I waited till after class to ask.

Kempo,

I might have to take ya up on your offer :) And I totally agree.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who responded. Now I know I'm not nuts LOL

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I, as an instructor don't see a problem with a student asking a senior student to do some sparring just to work on something specific. I do think that it should be supervised by a instructor either the head instructor or one of his helpers. This helps keep things from getting heated or out of hand.

Also, if it's someone who's just a rank or two ahead of you, they might not be able to help a whole lot. If it's someone near black or black, then they should be able to help you.

Now, ask your questions to the forum and see how that goes, might help, might not.

Oh yeah, what about just continuing to bug your instructor till you get an answer?

:asian:

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kempo,

I know I have a problem with "punchers". I can't "get in" on them or keep them in kicking range (I'm a kicker mostly). I used to use hand techs to the head, to set them up for kicks, but I can't do that anymore. I also have a problem with TKD style sparring. I'm used to using hand techniques (backfist to the head, knife hand to head, ect), but that's a no no in TKD. Plus, I can use practice on combos (TKD style).

Klondike,

I'll do that. I'll bug him some more. He knows that I'm used to point sparring (he can tell by the way I spar), and TKD style sparring is akward for me (I come from TSD ..... point sparring, and hand techs allowed to the head. TKD, there is no hand techs allowed, except punches to the mid section).

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SO I take it you do the olympic type of sparring, punches only to the body, but kicks are legal from the waist up.

If this is the case, I have problems sparring this way as well, mainly with my endurance.

The only advice I could give would be to multiple kick, don't throw just one or two, but half a dozen and throw everything you know too.

:asian:

F

fissure

Hey Karate Kid1975, let me have a go at some long distance coaching!It looks to me as though you are intrested in both "open, point" and WTF/USTU style tournys.
Point is basically a game of tag, for the most part speed and reach are king.You really have to pick your poison here.You say you are better with your kicks - go with your strength. Stay outside, give a puncher an opening and them try to lure him in.Cut side, fade away round and back kicks are all good for scoring on an incoming attacker.Even if your not a great puncher, work on you reverse punch.Sooner or later you'll end up on the inside!
WTF is another story alltogether.You have to keep in mind your opponent's goal is to knock you out!Scoring a point with a punch is almost impossible.With this in mind punching high on the body, up around the collar bone area works well.The chest protector offers no protection in this area, if you can't score you may as well give your opponent something to think about;) ,remember you may hit as hard as you can.You'll need a solid round kick off of each leg, and some form of turning counter (back or hook kick) again off of both sides. Movement, especially lateral is VERY important.If you hope to compete at Black belt level at state or (if you medal at states) national level, be prepared to go 3- 3 min. rounds against 4,5 maybe 6 opponents.:eek: Your in N.Y. that makes things tough, NY,FL,TX and CA are probably the strongest states for USTU competion.Hope this helps.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Fissure. I actually good with punches :D , but with WTF style sparring, it's hard to use the "good shots". I like the tip on the punching to the high part of the chest protector :D You dirty fighter j/k. And oh, I do hit hard (except with beginners) ;) We are a full contact school.

I don't plan on competing in high level tournies. I only compete for fun, and it's usually in forms and breaking (my real strengths hehehehe ..... ever see a chic power break at a lower rank??? hehehehe).

I will try the "cut side" stuff more often. Fakes seem to work when I remember to do them, but not with the seniors. I need something else for them.

Thanks again, Fissure. Feel free to private messege me to help me out some more.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not into the point sparring. I prefer the UFC sytle where grappling and takedowns are involved. But here is my two cents. When someone gets a technique on me, instead of trying it later in the sparring session. They try it inmediatly again. Guest what it usually doesn't work two times in a row. Besides fakes, think about going high-low or low high depending on where they keep there hands. Can you fake hand strikes to the head or is that illegal also. I know of some TKD schools that will let you strike the head gear but the face is off limits. Does your school not allow any strikes to the head even with head gear on. Fissure is correct, it is a game of high speed tag. Think about move in, moving side to side, and moving away. Broken rhythm is good to practice.
Bob :asian:

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kempo,

TKD (in my school, that is) rules are: No hand techs to the head (not even to the head gear), or to the face. Punches are allowed only to the mid-section of the body. Kicks are allowed anywhere from the waiste up (except to the face). Kicks are allowed to the head gear.

It really sucks (for me) because I used to use hand techs in TSD to set up kicks or combos, and I used to score a lot with the backfist to the head gear. My hands are faster than my feet (or used to be when I was doin TSD).

I'll try more fakes (like you said, the high/low or low high thing). They seem to work. I just have to work on moving around more, I think and working on more combos.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kiddies,
We spar "TKD Sport" style alot. As far as punches, open 'em up and set a good stance, and "walk through" them with traditional mid section punches and hard jabs. Move forward and don't let up. Great way to catch them off guard. Remember as in open sparring (For me) I'm a TKD guy, I fight in my dobak, people expect me to kick. I don't. Same in TKD sparring. I punch. Alot. Many TKD schools fail to teach it and if they do IMHO teach it well. Work it hard and well, and you'll be suprised at what you find.
"If you can't beat 'em, join em. THEN beat 'em!"

Latest Discussions