A New N.Y Law

OP
D

Disco

There could be an Upside to this. If it is done right, operative word is "right", it could benefit legit instructors and schools. If the state education board has oversite, then you would have to have credible credentials. This in fact should remove all those phony 12th dans that teach ItchyGitchyGoo.

This is an optimistic outlook, but I fear that they'll muck it up as they allways do. One could hope though!...

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
N.Y. Is Geting Redickuless
But I Agree There are alot of Frauds out There.
No Names.

But in some Ways it's Realy none Of There Buis.
But That Never Stoped The From Sticking There
Noses in ares Any Way.

OP
S

Scott Swarts

I agree that this is not necessarily a bad thing, although I don't trust NY to get it right. One thing I'd like to see is a requirement that licensed instructors have some basic safety training. Coaches for many sports have to have training, why not martial arts? (BTW, I'm biased on this. My first experience with martial arts was an intro Judo class, where I got a broken colar bone.)

Do most martial arts instructors have CPR training?

-- Scott

OP
K

Kirk

Give the government an inch, they'll take a mile. If they're get
away with this, soon they'll require state approval of what's
taught, and require certification of instructors, etc. ... Just one
possible scenario.

OP
J

JDenz

That is true. I think it gives the government to much say in everything.

OP
S

Scott Swarts

I've been wondering, who provides insurance for martial arts schools? I was once the president of my daughter's swim team. It was the organization that provided insurance that required training for the coaches. The government had nothing to do with it (as it should be).

Do insurance companies require any training for martrial arts instructors? (Yes, i'm asking about safety training again.)

-- Scott

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why?????

If I belong to a school / Instructor that does not give out certifictes to anyone, then does this mean I cannot open a school
and teach?

Who will be on the board to say I can teach or not?

Some Korean or Japanese stylist, who has never seen FMA, and
then not like the way I teach or what I teach. This has no hope of succeeding. If I was in NY, I would be contacting my lawyer for
a class action lawsuit for discrimination.

The suit might not be worth anything but it would get you press
coverage you could not buy, and the last thing these law makers want is negative press.

A couple of years ago NJ wanted to do something like this. Why?
Because some instructor assaulted a child. This is wrong, punish the instructor, not every instructor! :(

So, since I am single and no kids, and I cannot belong to Boy Scouts of America or volunteer for Big Brothers, since it is just
wrong for a single guy to want to go hang out with kids, does this
mena I would not be able to teach or open a school. I say *& to this.

Now that one state has done it, it will be easier for the rest
to follow. I do not like this!

:( :rolleyes: :mad: :shrug:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Now that one state has done it, it will be easier for the rest
to follow. I do not like this!

Actually, I think it's on an agenda to be voted on, and not passed
yet.

OP
P

Pakhet

Originally posted by Scott Swarts
I've been wondering, who provides insurance for martial arts schools? I was once the president of my daughter's swim team. It was the organization that provided insurance that required training for the coaches. The government had nothing to do with it (as it should be).

Do insurance companies require any training for martrial arts instructors? (Yes, i'm asking about safety training again.)

-- Scott

Welcome aboard!

Lisa

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by Scott Swarts

-- Scott

My insurance company doesn't really require a lot of anything. I provide them a list of sparring rules for my school and answer a basic questionaire about if I offer contact classes, tournaments, etc.

While I think it's a good idea to be up-to-date on training requirements and basic first aid, I think the government ought to stay out of this. If this passes, it will make more widespread changes, including dance instructors, and just about anything that deals with kids.

It will drive the martial arts teachers deeper underground and cause more problems rather than fewer.

WhiteBirch

OP
J

JDenz

I am sure it is just another way for the state to get a few more tax dollars in their wallets. If not it pobley isn't good since they have got UFC banned in the state and are working on Kickboxing now, maybe they have martial arts targeted next.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz
I am sure it is just another way for the state to get a few more tax dollars in their wallets. If not it pobley isn't good since they have got UFC banned in the state and are working on Kickboxing now, maybe they have martial arts targeted next.

You're prolly right about NY state wanting to pad it's wallet with these new fees. Oh, and by the way, here in my state (Cali) there's currently a move to get Ultimate Fighting legalized. Looks like, IMO, a move in the right direction... :ubercool:

OP
J

JDenz

Yes more and more states are legalizing it now a days it is a good time for UFC again.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz
Yes more and more states are legalizing it now a days it is a good time for UFC again.

But did they learn from a certified (state) instructor? and If not then who will certify them or cross certify them?

Opps just being negative again :(

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont like the goverment saying that I can or can not teach. Or for that matter what I can teach.
As for the insurance company geting involved I have a strong idea that that will be the next step. First you must get certified to teach then you must get X number of dollars woth of insurance for every student plus building insurance.
"OH YOU DO"NT TEACH IN A SCHOOL well your obviously not qualified to teach. You must have a store front with big INsurance. NO qulified instructor would ever teach out of their home ." I heard this from an atturney once and they where serious.
Sorry I think most rule/laws like this are just a money a makeing venture for the state and insurance companies.

Latest Discussions