New York Regulating MA?

J

JDenz

A04415 is now under consideration in the committee on higher education in Albany (held on 6/3). It proposes to license all martial arts instructors and schools in New York State. Not only will this mean more hidden taxes in the form of 'fees', but the criteria could well put many out of business. Remember the NYSAC 'approved list'?

The following is a list of people on the committee with phone numbers, many are New York City and Long Island people. Feel free to call them and express your disapproval of A04415. You can call ALL of them. This (their phone numbers) is public information, on the assembly web page, so you can circulate it. Pass it on.

Debrah Glick 212 674-5153

Richard Gottfried 212 807-7900

James Conte 631 271-8025

Patricia Eddington 631 207-0073

Steve Englebright 631 751-3094

Steve Levy 631 589-8685

Michael Fitzpatrick 631 724-2929

Nick Perry 718 385-3336

Anthony Seminero 718 847-0770

Scott Stringer 212 873-6368

Mark Webrin 718 428-7900

Ron Castrari 518 455-4474

Darryl Aubertine 315 786-0284

Mara Butler 518 762-6486

Kevin Cahil 845 338-9610

Joan Christensen 315 449-9536

Brain Kolb 315 781-2030

Barbara Lifton 607 277-8030

William Magee 315 361-4125

Joel Miller 845 463-1635

Joseph Morelle 585 467-0410

Amy Paulin 914 723-1115

Robert Prentiss 518 877-7113

Call and express you opposition before this becomes a law!

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by JDenz
A04415 is now under consideration in the committee on higher education in Albany (held on 6/3). It proposes to license all martial arts instructors and schools in New York State. Not only will this mean more hidden taxes in the form of 'fees', but the criteria could well put many out of business. Remember the NYSAC 'approved list'?

The following is a list of people on the committee with phone numbers, many are New York City and Long Island people. Feel free to call them and express your disapproval of A04415. You can call ALL of them. This (their phone numbers) is public information, on the assembly web page, so you can circulate it. Pass it on.

Debrah Glick 212 674-5153

Richard Gottfried 212 807-7900

James Conte 631 271-8025

Patricia Eddington 631 207-0073

Steve Englebright 631 751-3094

Steve Levy 631 589-8685

Michael Fitzpatrick 631 724-2929

Nick Perry 718 385-3336

Anthony Seminero 718 847-0770

Scott Stringer 212 873-6368

Mark Webrin 718 428-7900

Ron Castrari 518 455-4474

Darryl Aubertine 315 786-0284

Mara Butler 518 762-6486

Kevin Cahil 845 338-9610

Joan Christensen 315 449-9536

Brain Kolb 315 781-2030

Barbara Lifton 607 277-8030

William Magee 315 361-4125

Joel Miller 845 463-1635

Joseph Morelle 585 467-0410

Amy Paulin 914 723-1115

Robert Prentiss 518 877-7113

Call and express you opposition before this becomes a law!

Looks like "Da Mob" got their finger in the cookie jar again. You helping them Mr. Denz?:confused:

OP
J

JDenz

Not me. They can regulate MA bu regulating all the schools that don't meet with whatever there standards are.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Why exactly is the "Committee on Hgher Eucation" in charge of this thing?
I smell a conspiracy (and the kickbacks that go with it).

Oh well. :yawn: Just another reason it's good to be a Californian. :cool:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.geocities.com/martialartsny/
March 17 2003

Important: New York State Assembly Bill A04415 to Require Licensing of Martial Arts Schools
Attention all martial artists: Assemblyman Richard Straniere (R-Staten Island) has introduced a bill requiring the commissioner of education to set "minimum standards" for the education of martial arts instructors. If this bill passes, all martial arts instructors will have to become licensed, or go out of business.
The bill reads, in part: "Minimum education requirements must be established to protect students, many of whom are young children. Instructors who are not properly trained can cause serious injury when instructing students, many of which are young children."

I'm all for protecting children, but I'm opposed to this bill for several reasons. First, who will determine what is an appropriate level of training? The commissioner of education? The National Athletic Trainers Association? The National Association of Professional Martial Artists? Martial arts is a highly diverse, individualized practice. Should a part-time tai ji instructor be required to know the same things as a full-time tae kwon do instructor?

Second, many martial arts instructors teach part time, and make little or no profit from teaching. If they are required to pay an additional licensing fee (the current fee for athletic trainers is $150) plus take time-consuming classes that have little relevance to what they teach, it will mean the end of many classes. That would be an immeasurable loss for the thousands of people who take martial arts classes for health, self-defense, and recreation.

Third, there are already many national organizations which regulate martial arts. Judo instructors have three national organizations to choose from: The U.S. Judo Federation, the U.S. Judo Association, and U.S. Judo, Inc. Many traditional Japanese and Okinawan karate styles have highly structured organizations with direct links to worldwide organizations in Japan. Taekwondo also has strict promotion requirements which ensure quality instruction.

Should martial arts schools be licensed? Maybe just full-time instructors, or instructors who work with kids? Tell us how you feel at [email protected].

Please let Assemblyman Straniere know how you feel about this bill. Also, tell your Assemblymember to vote against A04415.

Full text of bill A04415
Find your Assemblymember by name or zip code

Assemblyman Robert A. Straniere
Send email to [email protected]

DISTRICT OFFICE
182 Rose Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10306
718-667-0314

ALBANY OFFICE
LOB 448
Albany, NY 12248
518-455-4495

Full Text of the bill
A04415 Summary:
SAME AS No same as

SPONSOR Straniere

COSPNSR

MLTSPNSR

Requires the commissioner of education to adopt rules and regulations requiring the licensure of martial arts instructors and of any entity which offers martial arts instruction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A04415 Actions:
02/13/2003 referred to higher education
06/03/2004 held for consideration in higher education

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A04415 Votes:

A04415 Memo:
TITLE OF BILL: An act relating to requiring the commissioner of education regulations for the licensure of martial arts instructors and schools

PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL: Requires the commissioner of education to adopt rules and regulations requiring the licensure of martial arts instructors and of any entity which offers martial arts.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS: The commissioner of education is hereby directed within six months of the effective date of this act to require the licensure of martial arts instructors and of any school, institution, organization, business or other entity which offers martial arts instruction and to promulgate rules and regulations necessary for such purpose.

JUSTIFICATION: It has been brought to my attention there are no requirements for the licensing of martial arts instructors/schools, etc.

Minimum education requirements must be established to protect students, many of whom are young children. Instructors who are not properly trained can cause serious injury when instructing students, many of which are young children.

PRIOR LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: 2002 (A6533/S3836) Referred to Higher Education

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: none

EFFECTIVE DATE: This act shall take effect immediately.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so if the committe onhigher education regulates it and gives you a certificate to teac can you then teach inall the schools in NY? i mean the high schools.
This is a scarry law. it will say that if you do not meet their criteia and pay their fees you are not allowed to teach.
who the hell are they to say if I or you can teach and how do they intend to pick and choice who is qualified.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Maybe when you guys call these people to complain, you could suggest an alternate plan, like making the registration process optional. Instructors who aren't officially licensed would be legally prohibited from lying about it. That would at least give their prospective students (and their parents) some knowledge with which to make a decision about what school to train at.

Or you could call them up and threaten to kick all their asses because their Kung-Fu is weak. They may not listen to that, but it could be fun.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read between the lines:

This will pass because:

A- politicians care little about actually understanding an issue

B- It will generate more revenue for NYS, so that rather than reduce a layer or 20 of bloat, they can all vote themselves another payraise.

C- politicians do not have the slightest interest in understanding how martial arts works. To them, its like a school or a mechanic.

D- They do not care about any fall out or such as by the time it really sinks in, they will have all covered their asses.

(For proof, take a good in depth read on the pork projects that went thru on all the 9/11 legislation as well as major changes in public policy that are only now becoming apparent.)

NYS has not had a budget pass on time in over a decade...is in the middle of a major fiscal crisis, and has one of the highest tax and 'user fee' levels in the entire country.

Lets be honest here....I'd move in a moment if I could afford it....

OP
J

JDenz

Ya for real not only that I would imgine that the people who would go vote for someone else are in the minority. Not to mention I doubt very many martial artests in new york will find out about it by there school rates going up.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This bill isnt widely known. Hey, its been out for months and this it the -FIRST- I'm hearing of it that I can recall...

To the best of my knowledge theres been no major public disclosure on this since it was submitted.

:(

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmm....hope thats not like the Brady Bunch..... so no one better call me 'bobby'. :D

srcusfreak

White Belt
Reaction score
greeting all
im new to the board, but here is my two cents
from the point of view of an educator for the nyc board of Ed and a former instructor in aiki jujutsu;
i agree with many of the posts here that this is just another way for the state to make money. They are constantly revising licensing, curriculum and implementing new programs all under the guise of" the betterment (in this case "safety") of the children.
im sure if this goes through there will be some sort of commitment to a course licensed instructors will have to take in order to work with children. Dont be suprised if thesy begin asking for background checks and fingerprinting of instructors as well. I say this because anyone who works with children, be it teachers or daycare, need to have these requirements as well. im sure it will be asked of us.
i am also sure that no one who has proposed this bill has actually looked at the aspescts of martial arts. I know when members in my school received Black belt, it was part of the system to begin instructing to give back and to learn the system by teaching. This licensing could begin to interfere with the traditions of the sytem.
Once again buracracy intefereres.