A little tired

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeap... I am tired of sport TKD, very tired of children and teens going only for the sport and not taking care of the martial art. Maybe I am a dinosaurus that does not want to evolve and wants lo leave in the past, some times my sambonim (beacuse of my JiDo kwan roots) tell me to not to do this or that (technike) but I don't want to change my way of doing TKD.

I am a strong advocate of the korean martial art of TKD, not a gambler/player.

Manny

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People do stuff for different reasons. There are people in my dojang who hate sparring and love the forms. There are people who are there for self defense. There are people who love the sparring and thrive off of it. So you appreciate a different aspect than others. That doesn't mean they're wrong.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We all get tired at times. sometime we need a break or a change or just need to remind ourselves why we are doing what we are doing and refocus our minds

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been through it. I even tried to convince my grandmaster to change the dojang guidelines and later to have a specific martial-oriented class (run by myself). Nothing worked out in the long term. Then I gathered my courage, thanked my instructor and moved completely to Okinawan karate. Never regretted.
Consider this, my friend. Changing is something very hard to do, but if you're unhappy with your status quo, there's probably nothing more you should do.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stick to your guns Manny. Don't simply conform to what you see around you. You know Taekwondo is an effective martial art, and we need more people like you who are dedicated to keeping it alive. The only way TKD will survive as a martial art is by instructors who continue to teach it as one, not a sport.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude your tired out of the last 40 years teaching I have spent $500,000 the last 18 years saved lots of lives but just done its not worth the mama drama parent drama and all the lack of total commitment from the native corporations I am done this summer and next fall may continue for three non natives that want to earn their black belts but done I am better off to do my personal work out in my state of the art weight room and only private teach and seminars screw this traditional MA TKD is dead on a national level do not cast your pearls among swine.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dude your tired out of the last 40 years teaching I have spent $500,000 the last 18 years saved lots of lives but just done its not worth the mama drama parent drama and all the lack of total commitment from the native corporations I am done this summer and next fall may continue for three non natives that want to earn their black belts but done I am better off to do my personal work out in my state of the art weight room and only private teach and seminars screw this traditional MA TKD is dead on a national level do not cast your pearls among swine.

Well said.

:lfao::lfao:

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Umm.... What??

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could never really tell what people like about sport martial arts practicing, but I also agree the traditional martial arts is more interesting even if it's just learning about the meaning behind a forms name or what it was used for.

In my opinion i don't think you should have to change your way, the fact that sport martial arts seems interesting to some. Just a guess but maybe they are not interested in martial arts maybe the interest lies within the sport its self. But regardless their reasons for what they do that does not make traditional martial arts any less important

Best of luck!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

What do you mean by native and non native

Crossracer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Change is simply change, not good, not bad, it simply is.

Buddhism out of the way now. Lol lol

For me I didn't like who I was being paid to teach. They where using what I taught them to go start fights and hurt people. So I had a choice, accept of quit. I quit. I started teaching for free people who are interested in what I know .
I have had the best time since I did. My belief is if you are truely a teacher/ instructor at heart , then teaching is a must , be it for free or pay.

This way I can choose who I want to teach. I'm not obligated to anyone. Plus helping out poorer people is in line with my spiritual beliefs.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sport can be looked at paying for lessons and being pretty sure you get rank and will most likely never get hurt.
That is what parents want for their kids and it is also what pays the bills for most instructors. Most people do not want realism they want something that looks real but never endangers them, even if it will not work in the street.
If you want to teach what you know and it involves contact or more realism then I suggest you start teaching on your own and maybe even looking for a new school to learn in

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick to your guns Manny. Don't simply conform to what you see around you. You know Taekwondo is an effective martial art, and we need more people like you who are dedicated to keeping it alive. The only way TKD will survive as a martial art is by instructors who continue to teach it as one, not a sport.

Very true!!! that's why I habe been learning new stuff, practicion a little with other styles/senseis and I keep studying in books, seminars, etc.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually hear my instructor tell my class if someone wasn't good as something (example : kumite or bunkai) then the instructor would say that is what they need to work on or if there was something they didn't like (kotekitai or kata) then that is what he said needed work

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeap... I am tired of sport TKD, very tired of children and teens going only for the sport and not taking care of the martial art. Maybe I am a dinosaurus that does not want to evolve and wants lo leave in the past, some times my sambonim (beacuse of my JiDo kwan roots) tell me to not to do this or that (technike) but I don't want to change my way of doing TKD.

I am a strong advocate of the korean martial art of TKD, not a gambler/player.

Manny

How about trying out Hapkido or hwrang do instead since they are more self defense oriented for a KMA

Latest Discussions