The good aold day at Jido Kwan

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Afther the class last night and before leaving to home I had a nice chat with my student Manolo, Manolo is an ex jidokwaner like myself and we had the same sambonim in those days, the nae of our ex master is Ramon Alvite Gazca. My other student (Enrique) aproach us and listen carefully and he was amazed about the things we were remeber at Jido Kwan Central in my city.

Definetively in those days (back 1980's) the trainig was very hard compared to the one we do these days, lots of pushups, lots of crunches and we did kyorogy everysingle day using nothing but maybe a cup and that's was all, oh boy I can remeber the wodden floor, the blood blisters in our feet, the dented shins, and how our master lead us with only a sight, he watch us and wehn something was wrong he only watch us and without a sound we knew we need to improve the technike. We also remeber how the tests took hours and hours and thta one must prepare him/her slf correctly cause a score of below 85 of 100 points was a NO PASS.

Ohhhh the good all days, Manolo and I conclude we have the jido kwan patch in our hearts and the jido kwan blood runs in our veins.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember some things that were common place that have disappeared due to increased legal scrutiny and financial pressures that school owners face. %-}
  • impromptu cup checks with a slap of the hand or a 'ight' snap kick
  • no water breaks
  • bruises and bleeding a regular outcome from sparring
  • long, exhausting, sometimes terrifying, belt exams
  • I could tell you but I would have to kill you
I change back and forth on whether some of these things should be missed or not, though a few were downright dangerous and even reckless. One thing for sure is that the level of information in most martial arts have never been as widely available as now. It is very much possible now to train to be a technically superior martial artist without the rough, bordering on hazing, rituals and practices but in so doing are we missing out on a needed component of toughness?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Afther the class last night and before leaving to home I had a nice chat with my student Manolo, Manolo is an ex jidokwaner like myself and we had the same sambonim in those days, the nae of our ex master is Ramon Alvite Gazca. My other student (Enrique) aproach us and listen carefully and he was amazed about the things we were remeber at Jido Kwan Central in my city.

Definetively in those days (back 1980's) the trainig was very hard compared to the one we do these days, lots of pushups, lots of crunches and we did kyorogy everysingle day using nothing but maybe a cup and that's was all, oh boy I can remeber the wodden floor, the blood blisters in our feet, the dented shins, and how our master lead us with only a sight, he watch us and wehn something was wrong he only watch us and without a sound we knew we need to improve the technike. We also remeber how the tests took hours and hours and thta one must prepare him/her slf correctly cause a score of below 85 of 100 points was a NO PASS.

Ohhhh the good all days, Manolo and I conclude we have the jido kwan patch in our hearts and the jido kwan blood runs in our veins.

Manny

In the early years of Jidokwan, when it existed as it's own separate martial arts style, it was very focused on sparring. Today, through shihap kyorugi (Olympic sparring) we can see Jidokwan's influence on the evolution of Taekwondo.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jido Kwan was one of the original kwans wich conformed the KTA back inthe mid 50's. Jido Kwan was a one of the best kwans around in those days, a lot of korean champios came from Jido kwan. Here in Mexico two kwans started the TKD movement, in 1967-68 it was Jido Kwan with grand master and korean champion An Dae Sup who came to Mexico to teach TKD and one of his studentes was Ramon Alvite Gazca my former sambonim, Ramon is the Veracruz TKE father I have the joy of learning TKD under his guidance. The other Kwan was Moo Duk Kwan that back 1968-69 came Grand Master Dai Won Moon he made Mexico his home. I can remeber that tournaments in the 80's where JDK and MDK were firce tryingin to win over the other.

TKD arrived my City around 1979 and the first sambunim was Ramon Alvite Gazca in that time a second degree black belt if I guess, I began TKD classes in 1983 in that time sambonim Alvite was 3rd dan Black Belt, today he is a 7nd Dan Black Belt.

Manny

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jido Kwan was one of the original kwans wich conformed the KTA back inthe mid 50's.

KTA was founded in 1961, not mid 50s.

Here in Mexico two kwans started the TKD movement, in 1967-68 it was Jido Kwan with grand master and korean champion An Dae Sup who came to Mexico to teach TKD and one of his studentes was Ramon Alvite Gazca my former sambonim, Ramon is the Veracruz TKE father I have the joy of learning TKD under his guidance. The other Kwan was Moo Duk Kwan that back 1968-69 came Grand Master Dai Won Moon he made Mexico his home. I can remeber that tournaments in the 80's where JDK and MDK were firce tryingin to win over the other.

I understand that there are two factions of the Moo Duk Kwan in Mexico, one led by GM David Moon and another by GM Hee Duk Park. I don't think they get along all that well. I think GM Moon was there first.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
KTA was founded in 1961, not mid 50s.

I understand that there are two factions of the Moo Duk Kwan in Mexico, one led by GM David Moon and another by GM Hee Duk Park. I don't think they get along all that well. I think GM Moon was there first.

Moo Duk Kwan was split in two factions in the 90's if I recall. One factio is Moo Duk Kwan ( http://www.moodukkwan.com.mx/) owned and directed by Grand Master Dai Won Moon and the other faction is Asocion Mexicana Moo Duk Kwan (http://ammdk.org/index.html) tha t was created by some of Dai Won Moon's first generation of black belts amoung some Isaias Dueñas and Ramiro Guzman (Guzman is the head of Soo Back Do in Mexico right now).

Manny

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So there are three Moo Duk Kwan factions then in Mexico. Is the Jidokwan pretty much unified there?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manny your PM box is full you need to delete some messages I have some info and pictures from Jido Kwan's 64th aniversery in Korean some good pictures and other stuff I will send you.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny your PM box is full you need to delete some messages I have some info and pictures from Jido Kwan's 64th aniversery in Korean some good pictures and other stuff I will send you.

PM Box clean please send the pics.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
So there are three Moo Duk Kwan factions then in Mexico. Is the Jidokwan pretty much unified there?

Well MDK runed by DSai Won Moon is a large franchaise of TKD dojangs, I've no seen an Asoc.Mexicana Moo Duk Kwan (Isaias Dueñas), about Jido Kwan dojangs...... well my former master Ramon Alvite in the 1970'd -1980's and 1990's was some kind of director of Jido Kwan Mexico, sadly Jido Kwan split too in many other dojangs. The most powerful kwan right here in Mexico is MDK.

Manny