Physical Fitness

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A recent thread by Terry addressed physical fitness as it relates to MA. Whether that meant a person was fit enough to participate in class, sparring, SD, or whatever.

As all good threads do, it degraded into something other than was intended.

The big question became what is the definition of "Physical Fitness".

Sukerkin recommended a new thread, and I thought it was a good idea as well.

So what say you? What is your definition of being physically fit?

Last edited:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this in general or is it for Martial Artist? Want to make sure I understand the question.

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good question Terry.

In general, what do you consider to be fit?

Strength criteria?
Endurance criteria?
Body Mass criteria?
Other criteria?

What I am asking, is for each person out there to think about what it means to be in good physical condition.

Last edited:

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In general having the capacity to overcome physical obstacles and exceed at challanges to survive or to endure.

Someone who is physically fit has the energy to "channel" into the activity they are doing to achieve said goal.

There is different types of strength so the ability to use the muscles in the most effective way to achieve the result in the shortest time would to me be the one who is physically fit.

There is also different manners of physical fitness. The person who follows one extreme will lack in the other extreme.
The person who can run a mile in 6 mins or the one who can lift 300 lbs who is physically fit? Both are in that desired goal but lack physical fitness if they are out of that element.
So you can see physical fitness is subjective by defination of it and the different varibles that can come into play to define it.
Which is why I rather use the manner of using the body in the best possible way to achieve the desired result in the shortest period of time.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You first asked, “What is your definition of being physically fit?”

Physical fitness is the functioning of the heart, blood vessels, lungs, and muscles to function at optimum efficiency. However, this in of itself isn’t enough for it does not address what the functioning is for and at the moment neither does your question.
You then ask, “In general, what do you consider to be fit?”

General fitness is “a” state of health and well-being. Fitness then can be defined as the capacity to carry out the day’s activities without undue fatigue.

My question is; For what environment or purpose?
This would be more of a specific fitness question. A task oriented fitness based upon the ability to perform specific functions. I.e. Sports or occupations. Optimum efficiency here would be the key.

I’ve a family member who is 5’7” and weights over 220 lbs has ashma and high blood pressure. Yet he is able to walk the 3-5 miles a day required of him for his job with no problems. Heart rate is excellent but his cardio for heavy exercise is terrible. Though he may not have the same fitness as I, He is fit for his job and lifestyle. His strength, endurance, and body mass at this time are no problem for him. This said he is not physically fit to exercise at a very high rate of output for a hour.

Physical fitness is more of a concept based upon the need or requirement of said fitness.

Danny

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

Physical fitness is used in two close meanings: general fitness (a state of health and well-being) and specific fitness (a task-oriented definition based on the ability to perform specific aspects of sports or occupations).

Physical fitness is the functioning of the heart, blood vessels, lungs, and muscles to function at optimum efficiency. In previous years, fitness was defined as the capacity to carry out the day’s activities without undue fatigue. Automation increased leisure time, and changes in lifestyles following the industrial revolution meant this criterion was no longer sufficient. Optimum efficiency is the key. Physical fitness is now defined as the body’s ability to function efficiently and effectively in work and leisure activities, to be healthy, to resist hypokinetic diseases, and to meet emergency situations. Fitness can also be divided into five categories: aerobic fitness, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, and body composition.

Dany T wrote:
My question is; For what environment or purpose?

Physical fitness is more of a concept based upon the need or requirement of said fitness.

That is the part of the last thread that I wanted to get away from. That is why I am asking what general physical fitness means to everyone. What are the elements of fitness that all humans should be able to demonstrate or be referred to as physically unfit/out-of-shape?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK if we say someones fit it usually means fanciable lol! ie Elle McPherson is fit! :ultracool

As for being physically fit as in exercise etc I think it probably means you can do certain things like running , lifting weights etc within certain time/weights laid down by some authority. The police, fire brigade, armed forces all laid down criteria that they want people to meet for fitness so I suppose it can be measured. To me being fit means, not being ill or having medical conditions, being able to work and train. I haven't measured my fitness though by any standard other than whether I'm comfortable or not. I have to say the idea of it as a concept rings truer to me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having know individuals who had been born with certain medical conditions, and others that developed disabilities because of accidents I may look on physical fitness a little differently. A person may be fit to exercise his/her upper body but not their lower body. Being totally physically fit is most likely a myth but we as individuals look upon those with good muscle definition as being fit where they may be physically ill internally.

To be physically fit one must be fit externally and internally.
Being physically fit dose not in and of itself make one able to do tasks
Being not totally or nearly fit dose not disallow one to do tasks but may be a part of not being able to do them

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This question has many multi level answers, it depends on what you want to be physically fit for.
My answer,
To be in a condition that allows you to easily complete any assigned tasks, be it just physical or a combination of physical and mental.
:ultracool

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This question has many multi level answers, it depends on what you want to be physically fit for.
My answer,
To be in a condition that allows you to easily complete any assigned tasks, be it just physical or a combination of physical and mental.
:ultracool
agreed. a body builder might be able to lift massive amounts of weight at the gym but put him in a block plant or steel plant and i get he gets wore out pretty quick

B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Physical fitness is your ability to function in a number of specific domains:

Strength - your ability to move heavy objects through space
Power - your ability to move explosively
Flexibility - your abilioyt to move your body and it's limibs through full rnages of motion with control.
Anaerobic endurance - your ability to do work at high intensity for brievf to moderate periods of time.
Aerobic endurance - your ability to do low intensity work for long periods of time.
Balance - your ability to stay centered whilst moving your body through space.
Hand-eye coordination - your abulity to track moving objects and interact with them,
Mental endurance/heart - your ability to continue to do work despite being stretch to and past your known physical/mental limitations.

All of these areas are somewhat overlapping. Strength can translate into power for example. However, some areas are antagoniztic. Good aerobic endurance tends not to translate into gooe anaerobic endruance (although the convferse is not necessarily true).

Most people look to improve a few areas and neglect others.

My definition of fitness is to improve all of those areas as best as one can to obtain and maintain an overall greater dergee of health and ability.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions