a big question

T

twinkletoes

Here's a fun question. I'm not getting "at" anything--I want to know what you would do in this situation?

Imagine that advancements in our ability to understand martial arts and self-defense reveal a new method which is clearly, unquestionably, head and shoulders above all existing methods.

Its training is different from (and superior to) everything you've ever seen before. No system, from karate to silat to bjj to boxing comes anywhere near it in terms of self-defense capacity.

What would you do?

Changing methods would mean starting from the beginning. There are no shortcuts or advantages from previous training.

Would you continue to train whatever you train now? Would you abandon it and take up this new method? Would you study both?? (If so, would you trian 50/50? 90/10?)

~TT

OP
T

twinkletoes

To keep things fair, I will answer first.

I wish I could say I'm sure I would study the new method. I'm sure I would try it.

In actuality, I would probably devote 75% of my time to the new method, and 25% to arts I already study and just find to be plain ol' fun (like Arnis and BJJ). I would probably still teach the arts I already teach, even though they would be outmodeled in the face of this discovery. Perhaps I would phase them out as I became better at the new thing.

I wish I had the cojones to say that I would give up the less effective styles and really pursue the new one. I don't think I can say that. Maybe my ego is in the way--it likes things the way they are, to an extent.

And what if I didn't *like* doing the new method? What if I didn't enjoy it the way I enjoy the arts I do now? in that case, I don't know what I would do. But that's why this is a thought experiment.

Ok, next?

~TT

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK. I am not an early adopter. I would watch and wait. I would want to know if this was the real deal or just a passing fad. I'd want to try it right away -- maybe at a seminar or a visit to their school or to my school. But I'd wait until it was proven before I'd jump in whole hog.

Whether or not I abandon what I am doing would depend on a lot of things. Is my instructor open to me cross-training or to brining the new system into our school? Can I get good at the new system training just 2 or 3 times a week, or do I need to train 4 or 5 times a week? How much does it cost? Is it $ 25 a month like the local Judo clubs or is it $ 200 a month like some of the BJJ schools?

Also, how much time do I have? If this happened when I was in my 20's and had the freedom to train eveyday, then maybe I'd do both. Now, in my 40's with kids, I'd have to pick just one.

So, 10 years after BJJ made it's US debut in UFC, I'm in my 40's and have switched completely from Kenpo to train BJJ 2-3 times a week. Now, if something else comes up, maybe I'll switch again...in my 50's...or maybe I'll just take up Tai Chi...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it has somehing that can make what I do obsolet I most likely will ty to learn it. I would still teach and practice what I now do until I was ready to pass on the new knowledge.
If there is one thing I have learned in the Martial Arts it is that I still have much to learn

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
OK. I am not an early adopter. I would watch and wait. I would want to know if this was the real deal or just a passing fad. I'd want to try it right away -- maybe at a seminar or a visit to their school or to my school. But I'd wait until it was proven before I'd jump in whole hog.

Whether or not I abandon what I am doing would depend on a lot of things. Is my instructor open to me cross-training or to brining the new system into our school? Can I get good at the new system training just 2 or 3 times a week, or do I need to train 4 or 5 times a week? How much does it cost? Is it $ 25 a month like the local Judo clubs or is it $ 200 a month like some of the BJJ schools?

Also, how much time do I have? If this happened when I was in my 20's and had the freedom to train eveyday, then maybe I'd do both. Now, in my 40's with kids, I'd have to pick just one.

So, 10 years after BJJ made it's US debut in UFC, I'm in my 40's and have switched completely from Kenpo to train BJJ 2-3 times a week. Now, if something else comes up, maybe I'll switch again...in my 50's...or maybe I'll just take up Tai Chi...

I'm pretty much the same here on this one.:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by twinkletoes
To keep things fair, I will answer first.

I wish I could say I'm sure I would study the new method. I'm sure I would try it.

In actuality, I would probably devote 75% of my time to the new method, and 25% to arts I already study and just find to be plain ol' fun (like Arnis and BJJ). I would probably still teach the arts I already teach, even though they would be outmodeled in the face of this discovery. Perhaps I would phase them out as I became better at the new thing.

I wish I had the cojones to say that I would give up the less effective styles and really pursue the new one. I don't think I can say that. Maybe my ego is in the way--it likes things the way they are, to an extent.

And what if I didn't *like* doing the new method? What if I didn't enjoy it the way I enjoy the arts I do now? in that case, I don't know what I would do. But that's why this is a thought experiment.

Ok, next?

~TT

I think you summed it up well!:asian:

I say this because I do and always will train in other arts, thats me. The only thing I would do differant is maybe the % of time for each art. That is hard to say.

But I would definately jump in and see for myself. There are several arts that I practice that I am not great at but the others make up for that. So I don't think that I could ever whole heartedly just walk away from my arts that I already have or have experienced.

:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with OFk and RCastillo on this one also. I would definately try it out, but I'd wait a little before I actually started to train in it.

Mike

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is a pretty good question. If it's just a matter of starting over at the beginning, I have no problem with that. I love starting over and learning new things. However, while my primary interest is in self defense I still have to consider my artistic interests. I would have to consider the methods and means of training in this new art.

OP
D

Disco

Going under the stipulation that you stated (new is far superior to old). I would have to embrace the new totally. First off, it's as stated, "Far Superior". Being trained, you should be able to justify, that indeed it's better than what you now know. Second, being brand spanking new, your on the ground floor. It hasen't been pilfered with undersireable people and their misinterpertations.

For my own personal rational, I have long since discarded the vail of eastern mysticism. I adhere to common sense dictates of keep what works and discard the rest.

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by twinkletoes
Here's a fun question. I'm not getting "at" anything--I want to know what you would do in this situation?

Imagine that advancements in our ability to understand martial arts and self-defense reveal a new method which is clearly, unquestionably, head and shoulders above all existing methods.

Its training is different from (and superior to) everything you've ever seen before. No system, from karate to silat to bjj to boxing comes anywhere near it in terms of self-defense capacity.

What would you do?

Changing methods would mean starting from the beginning. There are no shortcuts or advantages from previous training.

Would you continue to train whatever you train now? Would you abandon it and take up this new method? Would you study both?? (If so, would you trian 50/50? 90/10?)

~TT

I would train i it 100 % but i also know that if it were that effective my instructor would learn it and teach it anyway so I probably wouldn't actually have to change schools. He's all for seeing and learning new things if their effective and if it blew what we were learning out of the water then why stick to something that is less effective.

Cheers
Sammy

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its kind of hard to say any art can be superior, but in interest of the question. I already left my first art for many reasons, but mostly because it didn't allow training in other arts. I find more interst in the culture and history of an art than the fighting side. It has to interest me. I would try the new art, but contiue with the things I am currently training. Effective is great, but to me fun and interesting are just as important. Not to mention the people involved in the art and the training.

OP
S

sercuerdasfigther

there are only so many ways to hurt a man, since the beginning, men who have fought h2h have found them all. today we fight with guns and bombs, so what is anyone going to come up with that is heads and shoulders above the rest. to be fair, if someone could teach me jedi mind tricks and to usew the force i would train under him.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would certainly learn it but if i enjoyed some of the old stuff better, i would still practice that too! enjoyment is what keeps me training!!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sercuerdasfigther
there are only so many ways to hurt a man, since the beginning, men who have fought h2h have found them all. today we fight with guns and bombs, so what is anyone going to come up with that is heads and shoulders above the rest. to be fair, if someone could teach me jedi mind tricks and to usew the force i would train under him.

Dammit, now we are back on that Dillman NTKO discussion. Come on guys, this isn't funny anymore.:rofl: :rofl:

--Dave
:D

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is no way I would even consider changing my current styles but I think if I didnt at least try it I would always be wondering.
:asian:

Latest Discussions