5 real life soldiers who make rambo look like a sissy

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
warning for language, but it's pretty awesome. i mean, you don't have to read it if profanity offends you. you'll just have a little less awesome in your life

soldiers

jf

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
k, the language filter is blocking the address. so open the link, go to where all the asteriks are in the address bar, & type a synonym for "cat"

jf

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That was pretty cool. :)

I particularly liked the sniper with a penchance for killing Ruskies. :D In WWII of course.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
he was by far my favorite as well. i mean, the enemy started calling him "the white death". most guys feel tough if they earn a nickname like "buzz" or "the pitbull".

"hi, i'm saya, a farmer in rural finland. but you can call me The White Death."

captain jack was my close second favorite. carried a sword & bagpipes in WWII. that's just badass & weird all at once.

jf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jack Churchill, Sgt York and Audie Murphy I had heard about before but that Finnish chap and the Pakistani were new to me.

Awesome badassness, as the site so rightly says.

I'd be interested to dig out any accounts and verifications of these events - I know, for instance, that there is some dispute over the authenticity of Sgt York's claimed actions and wonder if there is any similar 'debunking' in existence for the others?

This is not to denigrate their heroism in any way. It is just that I have always liked to get at the reality behind 'legends'.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i hadn't heard any disputes about york other than the debate over where he used luger 9mm or a G.I. .45. i don't know how plugged in you are to american gun culture, but that's REAL important to some folks over here.

i haven't really researched it either though. what's disputed?

jf

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
he was by far my favorite as well. i mean, the enemy started calling him "the white death". most guys feel tough if they earn a nickname like "buzz" or "the pitbull".

"hi, i'm saya, a farmer in rural finland. but you can call me The White Death."

captain jack was my close second favorite. carried a sword & bagpipes in WWII. that's just badass & weird all at once.

jf

Yup, :D That rocks.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jarrod, the primary event for which he is known, the taking of all those German machine gun positions, is not reported in his ghost-written book with any accuracy. It's still a heroic escapade, I must reiterate. But it is a Hollywood account of what actually happened that was shaded by the mores of the day.

Now we would think it equally heroic (and intelligent) to have snuck up behind so many positions and killed the machine gun squads whilst they were facing the wrong way (then letting them shoot each other up when they got the MG's remounted). Back in the early C20th, that was not considere the honourable way to go about things.

Also, other men got medals that day too, which rather belies the claim that he did it all on his own after the others legged it.

I don't want to start an argument over who had the biggest 'brass ones', it was just an observation that historical events fascinate me with the patina and distortion they aquire over time.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh i wasn't debating; i just didn't know that much about him.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My heroes are the Royal Marines who in Afghanistan flew on an Apache helicopter into enemy fire to get their mate out.

Or any of the RAF helicopter pilots who fly into medevac the injured but this one in particular. This one won the DFC, (a famous and honoured medal) there's other brave people in this article on her.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3508222.ece

There's loads more, every day conspicous bravery is being shown in Afghanistan.

Last edited by a moderator: