4th Dan Test

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I wanted to make another Tai Chi comment here...

In retrospect, I think I first started training in Tai Chi out of a sense that I "should" do it, and it would be good for me in my other training. So I started training with my sifu to learn Tai Chi, but then he started teaching me the external stuff as well and my focus shifted more strongly to that because I was always a bit more interested in that kind of thing anyway. Well that was almost ten years ago, and now I am finding myself feeling a tighter connection to Tai Chi, and I am more appreciative of it, and am very glad of the training that I have managed to do.

Just trying to give some perspective on it.

You mentioned the sword. I would appreciate hearing more about this training. I have learned some Tai Chi sword and Broadsword as well. Thx!

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You mentioned the sword. I would appreciate hearing more about this training. I have learned some Tai Chi sword and Broadsword as well. Thx!

Well, we learn the short form, and then the sword form with a wooden sword, then with a metal sword, than the long form (if you really really want to). Basically my instructor feels the long form isn't really necessary. He feels you can get all the benefits of Tai Chi just from doing the short form, (actually he says you can get it from just the first move!) so he only teaches the long form if someone really begs him.

I have really enjoyed the sword form, and I find it very challenging. It is very difficult to stay relaxed and moving slow while welding a weapon. I feel I really have a long way to go before my sword form is any good. I don't know anything about it except it is the "tai chi sword form" which is actually pretty lame of me now that I am thinking about it. I'll see if I can't get a better description or label for it and I'll let you know.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we learn the short form, and then the sword form with a wooden sword, then with a metal sword, than the long form (if you really really want to). Basically my instructor feels the long form isn't really necessary. He feels you can get all the benefits of Tai Chi just from doing the short form, (actually he says you can get it from just the first move!) so he only teaches the long form if someone really begs him.

I have really enjoyed the sword form, and I find it very challenging. It is very difficult to stay relaxed and moving slow while welding a weapon. I feel I really have a long way to go before my sword form is any good. I don't know anything about it except it is the "tai chi sword form" which is actually pretty lame of me now that I am thinking about it. I'll see if I can't get a better description or label for it and I'll let you know.

That's the same progression my (late) Tai Chi instructor used. The Short Form, IMO, really contains the principles of Tai Chi and, IMO, is a more efficient tool than the Long Form (although elitists often try to erroneously declare that you've not been exposed to the "real" Tai Chi unless your instructor teaches the Long Form as well).

LaurenTKD, I found that Tai Chi really, really helped me with my TKD basic forms when I did both. Try seeing your first forms (Chon-ji or whatever your system uses) through Tai Chi eyes. If you have not already done so, it will be an ENLIGHTENING and educational experience for you - I promise!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LaurenTKD, I found that Tai Chi really, really helped me with my TKD basic forms when I did both. Try seeing your first forms (Chon-ji or whatever your system uses) through Tai Chi eyes. If you have not already done so, it will be an ENLIGHTENING and educational experience for you - I promise!

Jonathan, could you elaborate a bit on that? What was it that your Tai-Chi experience allowed you to see and feel in your TKD forms that you hadn't previously? I'm curious...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Right on. I have learned several Chen hand forms, but none of them are the two established, Set One and Set Two (cannon fist) of Chen Style. My lineage is going in a different direction from traditional Chen, but even the Set 1 and 2 were derived in more recent times from several older sets. I also train a short form from Yang, and then several Yang sword forms that are short to middle length (16, 18, and 32 movements), a Chen sword, and Chen Broadsword.

I use weaponry that is very real, solid construction (I custom-build hilts and scabbards myself to make sure they are solid and properly weighted), and I find that that makes a huge difference in my training. Most of the swords that are readily available on the market today for Tai Chi and other Chinese arts are very poorly constructed. They are very very light, and feel like they will fall apart. This makes it easy to "cheat" on your technique, to the detriment of your training. If you find you are simply swinging the weapon with your arm and shoulder, and you are not using your entire body to make the cuts, then your technique is not what it should be. But if your weapon is too light, you might not even realize you are doing it. With a heavier and more realistic weapon, your arm will get tired much more quickly if you are cheating.

I have a photo album here on MT, in the albums section. I have pictures of some of the swords I have rebuilt, if you are interested in seeing what I have done.

Keep up with it, this is good stuff and is a benefit to anything else you might find yourself doing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jonathan, could you elaborate a bit on that? What was it that your Tai-Chi experience allowed you to see and feel in your TKD forms that you hadn't previously? I'm curious...

I agree. I'd love to hear more about it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
While this is an actual "test" and I don't know exactly what will be asked, I am also looking at it as an opportunity to really demonstrate my best stuff to impress.. .......
Anyway, (sorry if I am rambling, I had a nice nightcap tonight :) ). What would YOU think would be cool to see from a 24 year old female, training in TKD for 18 years, for a 4th dan test. Now that I have more time to prepare for it, maybe I can use some of your suggestions!

First of all good luck and congratulations on choosing to test so that your GM could be present.

Since 4th dan is usually when a student begins to teach independently, why not demonstrate your ability to impart your knowledge to others? It may not be as flashy as some of the other suggestions, but it shows a bit of martial maturity so to speak.

Miles

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use weaponry that is very real, solid construction (I custom-build hilts and scabbards myself to make sure they are solid and properly weighted), and I find that that makes a huge difference in my training. Most of the swords that are readily available on the market today for Tai Chi and other Chinese arts are very poorly constructed. They are very very light, and feel like they will fall apart. This makes it easy to "cheat" on your technique, to the detriment of your training. If you find you are simply swinging the weapon with your arm and shoulder, and you are not using your entire body to make the cuts, then your technique is not what it should be. But if your weapon is too light, you might not even realize you are doing it. With a heavier and more realistic weapon, your arm will get tired much more quickly if you are cheating.

I have a photo album here on MT, in the albums section. I have pictures of some of the swords I have rebuilt, if you are interested in seeing what I have done.

Keep up with it, this is good stuff and is a benefit to anything else you might find yourself doing.

I'll definitely check that out, thanks!

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
****update****

My test date has been scheduled... back to April 21st!!
So I basically spent two weeks some what relaxing (still training hard, but mentally preparing myself for some unknown future date... far in the future I thought!!).
But, that is the way it goes!!
I am torn, I am excited for it to be here soon, because I am really looking forward to this test. I feel confident, I am ready to test, and ready to show my family and friends what I can do (most haven't seen me do anything since my last test more than 6 years ago, if at all). But at the same time I just got used to the idea of testing several months from now!
Exciting stuff!! Martial arts is about being ready for anything, so here we go!
I'll keep you all posted!

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First off, I don't have spellcheck here, so sorry for any misspellings- not my strong suit for sure!

Ok, here we are less than 48 hours out of my 4th Dan test!!
I got to see my new belt yesterday, so that was really cool (we wear the same belt for 1st-3rd and then get a new one at 4th. Supposed to encourage you to break in the new belt and still train hard, rather than just stand around and teach all the time. Plus you are now at "master" level so it symbolizes a new beginning). I thought I would be sad to see my old belt go. I have been wearing it for 9 years and it almost ties itself it is so worn in and molded to my waist. (not moldy!! I just mean it fits me perfectly after so many years of being tied the same way at the same spot every day).
Anyway, after seeing my new belt with my name and my fancy extra stripe on it, I don't think I am going to be too sad after all to see the old one go!! Although, it will be annoying to wear a stiff belt for awhile, but that will motivate me to wear it often and work out often (oh wait, we already covered that).
Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement. And I am planning on doing a bunch of station breaks quickly all in a row as someone suggested. And my instructor is going have some other students randomly grab me in different ways or attack me in different ways and I'll just have to respond, which I think matches up to what someone else suggested as well! Other than that I am doing all basic techniques, all Pal Gwe forms, all Tae Guek forms, Koryo, Kum Gang, and Tae Baek. We also have 15 sparring comboniations, and 20 one steps (which we use to help teach beginning students understand how the practical application of techniques work- we don't push it as "self-defense"). I also am doing hoshinsool (as stated above), as well as sparring I am sure (single and multiple attackers) and breaking. I am sure there will also be a physical test (pushups, sit ups, flexibility, horse stance, etc). Then I am also doing Yang Tai Chi short and sword form, Korean sword drawing techniques and 2 sword forms, a nunchuka demo (no set routine, just a sort of "show me what you know" of both single and double chucks). A korean bo form taught by my Grandmaster (don't know the name if it has one, but it is a very cool form). Then also some Hoi Jeon Moo Sul, which is a newer art that is more circular, I believe the developer came from a Kempo background. So I have maybe 30 techniques (sort of like one steps) from that art. It is something we thought about implementing in our system but ended up dropping it, but since I still know it my sahbonim wants to see it. Breaking could be anything but I know I am doing a jump spin hook, jump spin back, jump front hook, and spring kick (both feet jump up together and throw a front kick and both feet land together). All head height at least and they all may be speed breaks, but I don't know (prepared for anything). And then any other breaks I am asked for. Oh, I am also doing a 2 board iron palm break.

I think that is all my physical stuff. I also have lots of terminology and general history and philosophy questions (meaning of each form, history of TKD, name the original 8 kwans, meaning of the Pal Gwe, etc). Again, I don't know exactly what will be asked, but am ready for anything (I hope!!).

Should be a fun day!!
Hope I haven't bored you all with my rambling, but it is helping me not stress internally by "talking" it out, so just suffer through with me, ok?!

Thanks again for all your support.
I'll let you know how it all ends up!!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you've prepared well for what you need to do. And based on what you've written down, that was no small task! Go get 'em, Lauren!

BTW: Breaking in a new belt is fun:ultracool

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best wishes, Lauren. It sounds like you're well prepared!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go KICK some butt! :partyon: :partyon: :highfive: :highfive:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have at it - and have fun! Remember, by now, you should be showing that you are the next rank - not asking - and it sounds like you're plenty ready to do that!