4th Dan Test

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, my 4th Dan test is getting moved. My Grandmaster can't make the original date, so I am moving it to what works well for him.

Which, after getting over the fact that my test is no longer six weeks away, I have decided "everything happens for a reason" and now I will be even MORE prepared for the test, and maybe I can come up with some even cooler things to do. While this is an actual "test" and I don't know exactly what will be asked, I am also looking at it as an opportunity to really demonstrate my best stuff to impress.. I will be prepared for anything, but also want to plan on some cool breaks, as well as my bo staff form, tai chi sword form, etc. along with my basic techniques and poomse, as a demonstration of my skill. This is the first time most of my family and friends have seen me doing anything since I was a kid so I really want to impress them. The hard part is (as I am sure many of you know) once you can do something it really doesn't seem that impressive any more. I mean, I really don't think the stuff I do is THAT cool, because there is so much other cooler stuff out there, and I always strive for more. But of course, if you ask the lay person, I guess the stuff I do everyday is at least a little impressive- hopefully at this point anyway!

Anyway, (sorry if I am rambling, I had a nice nightcap tonight :) ). What would YOU think would be cool to see from a 24 year old female, training in TKD for 18 years, for a 4th dan test. Now that I have more time to prepare for it, maybe I can use some of your suggestions!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice post.

I'm sure you'll blow them away at your test.

One impressive thing I saw at a Tang Soo Do demo was a high jump ax kick that shattered a broom handle instead of a board. Quite impressive control and athleticism. Another one is to do an earlier form to perfection (or nearest possible). My instructor years ago (TKD), did the first form he ever learned as his optional form (you have to do all, then your newest, then pick one - at least in that school back in the mid-1980's). He did it with such snap, power and grace that I still remember it.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, my 4th Dan test is getting moved. My Grandmaster can't make the original date, so I am moving it to what works well for him.

Which, after getting over the fact that my test is no longer six weeks away, I have decided "everything happens for a reason" and now I will be even MORE prepared for the test, and maybe I can come up with some even cooler things to do. While this is an actual "test" and I don't know exactly what will be asked, I am also looking at it as an opportunity to really demonstrate my best stuff to impress.. I will be prepared for anything, but also want to plan on some cool breaks, as well as my bo staff form, tai chi sword form, etc. along with my basic techniques and poomse, as a demonstration of my skill. This is the first time most of my family and friends have seen me doing anything since I was a kid so I really want to impress them. The hard part is (as I am sure many of you know) once you can do something it really doesn't seem that impressive any more. I mean, I really don't think the stuff I do is THAT cool, because there is so much other cooler stuff out there, and I always strive for more. But of course, if you ask the lay person, I guess the stuff I do everyday is at least a little impressive- hopefully at this point anyway!

Anyway, (sorry if I am rambling, I had a nice nightcap tonight :) ). What would YOU think would be cool to see from a 24 year old female, training in TKD for 18 years, for a 4th dan test. Now that I have more time to prepare for it, maybe I can use some of your suggestions!

You rock, you rule, Lauren! I'm glad your change of plans didn't throw you at all—sounds like you're completely mellow with the switch....

What I'd like to see? Two things:

(1) a multiple board break in which you flow from one set of boards to the other to the next to the next...., breaking them quietly and efficiently without it even seeming like a big deal, and strike a really impressive, `all in a day's work' pose after the final break. Emphasis on smooth and flowing, as though the breaks were hardly a challenge at all. There don't have to be that many boards, or even more than one, at each break-station. Just so it looks fluid and controlled. (Obviously, this is what I'd like to do myself someday...)

(2) A series of realistic moves against someone simulating a street attacker using a variety of typical assailant's moves: grabs, roundhouse punches to the face, and so on. I'd like to see you instantly and effortless break up the attack and present a series of strikes which, if carried out full force real time, would leave the attacker immobilized on the ground while you called in the police on your cellphone... emphasis on realism, the deal being, you wouldn't know in advance just what common attack they would be starting with.

That's all I can think of for now! Would love to see you perform these moves...

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh, well, geeze, these are all great suggestions. I was going to say go with the low but that seems so lame now I think I will just say "good luck" and Vi Sit Tecum, or in laymans terms, "may the force be with you".

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love all those suggestions, especially the realistic moves against a street attacker .... I'm excited for you! Honest, I'm sitting here grinning like a Cheshire Cat! Good luck Lauren, but I'm sure you won't need it especially with that extra time to prepare.

:asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck! You pass this then you become a Taekwondo master, a Sabumnim. It's cool when an American reaches that level... :asian:

I'm in complete agreement with my compatroit, here. Also, more time gives you more options to show them your stuff. You're gonna be great:mst:

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You moved your test to fit your Instructor's schedule? Normally, the Instructor decides when and where the test is held and you just show up. That's how it works for us anyway.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions! I really appreciate it- keep 'em coming if you've got more! Maybe I can figure out how to put some video clips up here afterwards for you to see and judge for yourself!

You moved your test to fit your Instructor's schedule? Normally, the Instructor decides when and where the test is held and you just show up. That's how it works for us anyway.

You are correct, and that is normally how it works for me too. My master actually set the date back in December and at that time my Grandmaster, who lives in Virginia, said he could make it. But as of yesterday that changed and he gave me the option to either keep it that date and do it without him or move it so he could be there. It seemed best to move it for him, so that is what I did. I was disappointed for only a few seconds before deciding everything happens for a reason and that the best thing for me to do was to go with the flow. I thought that showed the most respect and honor towards him. Who knows, maybe that was the first part of my test!!??!!

Thanks again for your support guys, and I'll keep you posted!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree show up have fun and do what they tell yea and you will pass and become a Master of TKD. Good luck

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your test- I'm sure you'll knock their socks off!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
...tai chi sword form,...

I'm just curious to know more about the tai chi element of your training, as I am a firm believer that it is a good addition/supplement to any martial training program, as well as a solid art all by itself.

Which tai chi family art is it, how extensive is the training, and how is it incorporated into your system overall? thx!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Could be worse - you have more time. When I tested for III Dan, I was supposed to test in early October... but my instructor was testing for VI Dan, and had to be tested by someone VIII Dan or above who was not his direct instructor (which is how our association does it - testing is done by another instructor who is at least 2 Dan ranks above the rank you are testing for). Well, he was invited to a testing with Master Choi Jung Hwa (now GM Choi Jung Hwa), who was holding a testing on Friday night, before a seminar on Saturday... along with Master Walter Lang (VIII Dan), Master Mel Steiner (VIII Dan), and Master Robert Wheatlely (VIII Dan)... so my sahbum, myself, and several other students testing to III Dan or higher found out, with about a month's notice, that we were testing 6 weeks earlier than we thought, and in Reno instead of Denver. It added a fair amount of stress... on the other hand, I'd been preparing for so long that 6 more weeks wouldn't have made a difference.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm just curious to know more about the tai chi element of your training, as I am a firm believer that it is a good addition/supplement to any martial training program, as well as a solid art all by itself.

Which tai chi family art is it, how extensive is the training, and how is it incorporated into your system overall? thx!

Good question!

I began training reluctantly in Yang Tai Chi when I was about 16. I have to admit, I see the benefits of Tai Chi and KNOW that I should really put more time and effort into it. However at my young and not yet wise age, I tend to focus much more on my hard style.

At that time my instructor taught a separate Tai Chi program, but right now he is not. After doing it for awhile he felt like he wasn't really giving enough focus to either the Tai Chi program or the TKD program, and it just wasn't worth trying to split his time and energy. I think if he could get a day time Tai Chi class going he would be willing to do it, but he did not enjoy teaching an hour of TKD then an hour of Tai Chi then another hour of TKD. So, right now he just teaches those who are interested in Tai Chi on the side privately. He especially encourages Black Belts to train Tai Chi, and there are times during our Black Belt class (Friday nights for three hours) that he will focus solely on Tai Chi (probably once every six or eight weeks).

I have been "studying" for so long that I know I should be better than I am, but like I said, I just can't get myself to slow down enough to really focus on it like I should. However, that is starting to change as I am understanding ki energy in my Taekwondo more now, and I know that more Tai Chi will help with that. I have also focused on more Tai Chi recently because I have been doing a lot of iron palm training. I hope to motivate myself more to focus on it as I can really see the benefits, and I am sure as I get older I will understand it's importance even more.

Hope this answered your questions. I would love to hear about your experiences as well!

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could be worse - you have more time. When I tested for III Dan, I was supposed to test in early October... but my instructor was testing for VI Dan, and had to be tested by someone VIII Dan or above who was not his direct instructor (which is how our association does it - testing is done by another instructor who is at least 2 Dan ranks above the rank you are testing for). Well, he was invited to a testing with Master Choi Jung Hwa (now GM Choi Jung Hwa), who was holding a testing on Friday night, before a seminar on Saturday... along with Master Walter Lang (VIII Dan), Master Mel Steiner (VIII Dan), and Master Robert Wheatlely (VIII Dan)... so my sahbum, myself, and several other students testing to III Dan or higher found out, with about a month's notice, that we were testing 6 weeks earlier than we thought, and in Reno instead of Denver. It added a fair amount of stress... on the other hand, I'd been preparing for so long that 6 more weeks wouldn't have made a difference.

wow Kacey!! You are right-- I should be counting my blessings!!

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You rock, you rule, Lauren! I'm glad your change of plans didn't throw you at all—sounds like you're completely mellow with the switch....

What I'd like to see? Two things:

(1) a multiple board break in which you flow from one set of boards to the other to the next to the next...., breaking them quietly and efficiently without it even seeming like a big deal, and strike a really impressive, `all in a day's work' pose after the final break. Emphasis on smooth and flowing, as though the breaks were hardly a challenge at all. There don't have to be that many boards, or even more than one, at each break-station. Just so it looks fluid and controlled. (Obviously, this is what I'd like to do myself someday...)

I really like this idea, and it is something I was thinking of as well. I know I am impressed when people really move from station to station without any separate set-up in between. Focusing on fluid and CONTROLLED is a really good idea I think.

(2) A series of realistic moves against someone simulating a street attacker using a variety of typical assailant's moves: grabs, roundhouse punches to the face, and so on. I'd like to see you instantly and effortless break up the attack and present a series of strikes which, if carried out full force real time, would leave the attacker immobilized on the ground while you called in the police on your cellphone... emphasis on realism, the deal being, you wouldn't know in advance just what common attack they would be starting with.

This is a great idea!! The self-defense aspect is a really important one to share. I like your idea of having people just come up randomly and to respond (much cooler than a pre-arranged "fight scene"). Like you said, even some basic grabs or attacks would probably be pretty cool. And (hopefully) I could seamlessly just react to each one-- that would definitely impress me if I saw it!

That's all I can think of for now! Would love to see you perform these moves...

Thanks again for your support!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good question!

I began training reluctantly in Yang Tai Chi when I was about 16. I have to admit, I see the benefits of Tai Chi and KNOW that I should really put more time and effort into it. However at my young and not yet wise age, I tend to focus much more on my hard style.

I have been "studying" for so long that I know I should be better than I am, but like I said, I just can't get myself to slow down enough to really focus on it like I should. ...

Hope this answered your questions. I would love to hear about your experiences as well!

Thank you for your answers. I can certainly relate. I study with a kung fu sifu who teaches both the more external arts as well as a lot of internal arts like tai chi, bagua, and xing-i. I am young enough (35) and in good enough health that I am still more interested in the external arts, so that is what I focus more of my time on. I have been learning tai chi from him as well (mostly Chen style), but it just doesn't get the same focus. Nevertheless, I figure it is probably still helping my development, and as long as I keep it up on some level, I will have it in my back pocket for when I get too old to continue with the external. Then I can make the switch and continue on into old age.

I guess it boils down to the fact that there are too few hours in the day, and too few days in the week. If I win the lottery, then I can spend 10 hours a day practicing. Until then, I do as much as I can, but like anyone, I've got a day job and other obligations...

Good luck, keep us posted on how you do in your tests.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto completely on what Flying Crane just posted you.

You realize, Lauren, that at this point there is no way you can get out of giving us a detailed description of how your test goes, what you did, what the response was... we will, of course, allow you a bit of time to come down from what I have no doubt will be the euphoria of success. But at one point, you're gonna have to stare that keyboard in the face and punch in the full, complete story, eh? :wink1:

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto completely on what Flying Crane just posted you.

You realize, Lauren, that at this point there is no way you can get out of giving us a detailed description of how your test goes, what you did, what the response was... we will, of course, allow you a bit of time to come down from what I have no doubt will be the euphoria of success. But at one point, you're gonna have to stare that keyboard in the face and punch in the full, complete story, eh? :wink1:

haha alright alright, I promise!
I'll let you know the date when I know it, and then you can hold me to telling the story.

Thanks again everyone!