Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, God no.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
that is very very sad to hear. A very very nice man.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, i have no idea who that is. But hes a Karate Guy, so my Condolensces :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every Martial artist from the 60s and 70s was inspired in some way by Joe Lewis. He, as some others, made the transition from an awesome point sparring career, to the full contact arena. Well known for his back fist and his devastating side kick, and the fact that he trained with Bruce Lee, he is indeed a legend. Prayers to you, Joe Lewis.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, i have no idea who that is. But hes a Karate Guy, so my Condolensces :)
Really?!?! OK now I feel old. Even so, I would think that most young'ens these days would still research or look back at pioneers of the Art in some way, and know the legends. Joe is up there with Chuck and Bill (Super Foot). It's like being in politics and not knowing who George Washington, or Abraham Lincoln was.

Just goes to show that no matter what you do in life, it is only a matter of time before we are all forgotten. Kind of sad in a way.

Well at least there are some young'ens on here that know of the old guys - http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?87036-Lewis-the-Legend Previous thread. Not many but some. I lived back in those days and the guys in that thread were the ones that I looked upto and wanted to be like. They were awesome.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really?!?! OK now I feel old. Even so, I would think that most young'ens these days would still research or look back at pioneers of the Art in some way, and know the legends. Joe is up there with Chuck and Bill (Super Foot). It's like being in politics and not knowing who George Washington, or Abraham Lincoln was.

Just goes to show that no matter what you do in life, it is only a matter of time before we are all forgotten. Kind of sad in a way.

Well at least there are some young'ens on here that know of the old guys - http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?87036-Lewis-the-Legend Previous thread. Not many but some. I lived back in those days and the guys in that thread were the ones that I looked upto and wanted to be like. They were awesome.
Ive only recently started researching the History of various Martial Arts - Now i know another Legend :)

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
sad story -seen allot of posts of Facebook about this - a real karate legend.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with Joe and the entire Lewis family. Mr. Lewis was and I'm sure still is a great fighter. Maybe this will be his greatest victory ever.

James

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Got word that Joe Lewis had surgery to remove the tumor. He's at home resting up for upcoming chemo.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is from Robb Buckland, one of Joe Lewis' friends and senior students. Reprinted at his say so.

"If you have a photo - Please print out an 8x10 photo of you and Joe Lewis, sign it with something personal and send it to Joe Lewis. Mark the package with PHOTO so someone knows to open it and put it on his wall at the VA hospital. We want to cover his wall with memories of his friends and students. Every day he wakes up, we want him to see the wall growing larger and larger with more photos. We want him to know we miss him and that we have not forgotten him.

Please send to:

Joe Lewis
Coatesville Veteran Administration Medical Center
Geriatrics & Extended Care (138A-H)
1400 Blackhorse Hill Road
Coatesville, PA 19320-2096

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh crap. This just ruined my day. Like many of us Joe seems like a personal hero of mine from seminars and years of following his career and reading his columns.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wish I did not read this today…but I did… and it is sad news

Joe Lewis is a legend in Martial Arts, not just Karate, and I can remember reading about him way back in my early MA days

My Condolences to him and his family :asian:

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard some great stories from Joe Lewis back during the Golden Age of Karate and during his days in the Kickboxing ring. It is shocking for me to hear about his illness. My thoughts and prayers go out to him.

Latest Discussions