21 exercises to improve your grip strength

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Let me know if you use any other than these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to take some of the exercises you showed with the dumbbells and do them with kettlebells. The series of curles you did, I do them with the kettlebell, with the weight positioned foreword of the fist to increase the difficulty even if the weight is lower than what you can do with dumbbells. In addition, the kettlebell wants to rotate so that the weight is down, requiring you to grip more tightly.

The other thing is the wrist rotations with the dumbbells. If you do them with kettlebells, start with the weight down and palm up, forearms horizontal. Rotate the wrist to bring the palm down and weight above the fist, with the weight tracing a half circle from low to high. Now loosen the grip so the weight drops foreward to the down position. Now rotate in the other direction, palm goes from facing down to up, bringing the weight high again. Loosen the grip and allow the weight to drop foreward to the down position. Repeat. This is great for both grip and forearm strength.

Another great exercise is to tie up a bundle of chopsticks to about 1 1/2 or 2 inch diameter. Grip the bundle with both hands and twist back and forth.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good exercises.
But if you're at the computer too often and for too long, you can try one of those dynaball gyroscopic thingies. Mine makes my forearm sore, which one can interpret as a useful complement to the other grip exercises.
Caveat: not everyone can get their head around how to work it. It's a "feel" thing: you can't really think your way into it, and you have to put energy into it after you pull the string. Those who say it doesn't work aren't putting the work into it.

Here's one example. It's been rebranded over the years.

OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like to take some of the exercises you showed with the dumbbells and do them with kettlebells. The series of curles you did, I do them with the kettlebell, with the weight positioned foreword of the fist to increase the difficulty even if the weight is lower than what you can do with dumbbells. In addition, the kettlebell wants to rotate so that the weight is down, requiring you to grip more tightly.

The other thing is the wrist rotations with the dumbbells. If you do them with kettlebells, start with the weight down and palm up, forearms horizontal. Rotate the wrist to bring the palm down and weight above the fist, with the weight tracing a half circle from low to high. Now loosen the grip so the weight drops foreward to the down position. Now rotate in the other direction, palm goes from facing down to up, bringing the weight high again. Loosen the grip and allow the weight to drop foreward to the down position. Repeat. This is great for both grip and forearm strength.

Another great exercise is to tie up a bundle of chopsticks to about 1 1/2 or 2 inch diameter. Grip the bundle with both hands and twist back and forth.
I really enjoyed the exercises you mentioned. Maybe I'll make another video adding these. I just made another post with exercises for the grip using the gi. After checking it out and see if you have any more to add.

OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good exercises.
But if you're at the computer too often and for too long, you can try one of those dynaball gyroscopic thingies. Mine makes my forearm sore, which one can interpret as a useful complement to the other grip exercises.
Caveat: not everyone can get their head around how to work it. It's a "feel" thing: you can't really think your way into it, and you have to put energy into it after you pull the string. Those who say it doesn't work aren't putting the work into it.

Here's one example. It's been rebranded over the years.

I haven't done this one in a long time, I don't think I even have my ball anymore.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't done this one in a long time, I don't think I even have my ball anymore.
Finding one to purchase is a bit of a moving target, since they seem to rebrand it so often. (shrug)

Latest Discussions