2021 Goals!

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anyone here set any martial arts goals for this year yet that they would like to share?

Ironically, I had set a goal to get out of the house more and broaden my horizons in martial arts in 2020 lol.
I have been (still am) building a house with my wife for going on 2 years now and had set a goal to work less and train more with the intention of learning new things and making more martial arts friends. For obvious reasons, 2020 just didn't turn out to be the year. I am hopeful that this year will allow me to pursue this goal.

On a more personal note, with all this time to train alone in 2020, I realized that my self-talk/coaching was so unconsciously negative haha. (Actually, it was my wife who pointed it out to me after listening to the way I muttered and cut myself down while working out)
I had a lot of great coaching in my life, but somehow the rarer Gordon Ramsey style reactions to mistakes made a deeper impression on me than I had realized and sort of became my default tone when I thought about my shortcomings. I catch myself doing it so much now that I'm aware haha.
I'm not really averse to "tough love" but this attitude is something I've decided to work on.

Please share some of your goals big or small!
Here's to a great 2021, everyone!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone here set any martial arts goals for this year yet that they would like to share?

Ironically, I had set a goal to get out of the house more and broaden my horizons in martial arts in 2020 lol.
I have been (still am) building a house with my wife for going on 2 years now and had set a goal to work less and train more with the intention of learning new things and making more martial arts friends. For obvious reasons, 2020 just didn't turn out to be the year. I am hopeful that this year will allow me to pursue this goal.

On a more personal note, with all this time to train alone in 2020, I realized that my self-talk/coaching was so unconsciously negative haha. (Actually, it was my wife who pointed it out to me after listening to the way I muttered and cut myself down while working out)
I had a lot of great coaching in my life, but somehow the rarer Gordon Ramsey style reactions to mistakes made a deeper impression on me than I had realized and sort of became my default tone when I thought about my shortcomings. I catch myself doing it so much now that I'm aware haha.
I'm not really averse to "tough love" but this attitude is something I've decided to work on.

We are our own worst critic, yes?

I would have more faith in someone’s self-assessment and connection to reality who leans toward heavy self-criticism, than if they lean toward thinking they are awesome.

I understand what you are saying, and recognize that self criticism needs to be healthy and not too heavy handed. But connection to reality and not giving in to fantasy is equally important. :)

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We are our own worst critic, yes?

I would have more faith in someone’s self-assessment and connection to reality who leans toward heavy self-criticism, than if they lean toward thinking they are awesome.

I understand what you are saying, and recognize that self criticism needs to be healthy and not too heavy handed. But connection to reality and not giving in to fantasy is equally important. :)
I think you get it. I'm not talking about self praise or lack of criticism but really just dropping the insults lol. That's what caught my wife's ear. If I called you or anyone else some of the things I tend to call myself sometimes, I would fully expect a violent response.
It's the difference between critical self-talk vs diminishing self-talk.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you get it. I'm not talking about self praise or lack of criticism but really just dropping the insults lol. That's what caught my wife's ear. If I called you or anyone else some of the things I tend to call myself sometimes, I would fully expect a violent response.
It's the difference between critical self-talk vs diminishing self-talk.
Ah yes. A little self-respect on the topic is important. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was actually going to create this exact thread haha, beat me to it!

Yeah I can relate with the self-talk, or just excessive judging if something isn't absolutely perfect. So whilst still improving my technique and movement in a healthy way, working more on the 'feeling' of it, how my practice feels, and becoming more acutely aware of this as primary driver of my practice. Hard to explain really...

Definitely work on releasing tension and getting my karate more relaxed and natural all around, feel more grounded and connected in my practice in terms of learning to move more from my center (these are more general things that have and will be quite a process...), and more specifically finally find a new style and dojo home this year (a long search so far... but feel it will be worth it :) ).

And if a tournament happens through the year (pending that they're even scheduled) who knows!

Oh and attend a camp (seminars too) somewhere, anywhere. Just want to do one!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
- Work to get my knees working again, and they are recovering, just really really slowly.
- Get back to regular training of Taijiquan, Yang Style, learn Sun style and maybe get back to Wu style
- If that works, then return to Xingyiquan and work with some aikido folks on breakfalls. Falling and breakfall training should be part of styles that have so much Shuaijiao, and Taijiquan and Xingyiquan have more than one may think
- Work with weight loss to at least get back to pre arthritis diagnosis and pre knee surgeries weight
- On a more personal note, work on family issues

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was actually going to create this exact thread haha, beat me to it!

Yeah I can relate with the self-talk, or just excessive judging if something isn't absolutely perfect. So whilst still improving my technique and movement in a healthy way, working more on the 'feeling' of it, how my practice feels, and becoming more acutely aware of this as primary driver of my practice. Hard to explain really...

Definitely work on releasing tension and getting my karate more relaxed and natural all around, feel more grounded and connected in my practice in terms of learning to move more from my center (these are more general things that have and will be quite a process...), and more specifically finally find a new style and dojo home this year (a long search so far... but feel it will be worth it :) ).

And if a tournament happens through the year (pending that they're even scheduled) who knows!

Oh and attend a camp (seminars too) somewhere, anywhere. Just want to do one!
unfortunely my ma goal and general fitness and life goals are much the same this year as they were last,? as the present situation put the top hat on most of them

my music playing has improved, but my objective to go busking has gone by the wayside
.as has my play in ( and not embarrass myself )a chess tournment and my karate has gone to $$$$, kicking trees is a bit to easy to be useful, if i could get them to move it would better, but no, they just stand there

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunely my ma goal and general fitness and life goals are much the same this year as they were last,? as the present situation put the top hat on most of them

my music playing has improved, but my objective to go busking has gone by the wayside
.as has my play in ( and not embarrass myself )a chess tournment and my karate has gone to $$$$, kicking trees is a bit to easy to be useful, if i could get them to move it would better, but no, they just stand there

As we've just be put into a new 6 week strict lockdown yours, mine and most people goals have just gone down the drain again.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As we've just be put into a new 6 week strict lockdown yours, mine and most people goals have just gone down the drain again.
yes, ive just read it, to be honest im not sure if it makes the slightest differance to me from what i could do yesterday, which also appeared to be #### all,

unless they get the police out again telling me im not allowed to move more than a 1000 yards from home , which 2asnt true last time and probebly not this time

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
- Work to get my knees working again, and they are recovering, just really really slowly.
- Get back to regular training of Taijiquan, Yang Style, learn Sun style and maybe get back to Wu style
- If that works, then return to Xingyiquan and work with some aikido folks on breakfalls. Falling and breakfall training should be part of styles that have so much Shuaijiao, and Taijiquan and Xingyiquan have more than one may think
- Work with weight loss to at least get back to pre arthritis diagnosis and pre knee surgeries weight
- On a more personal note, work on family issues
I do not to resolutions. But a pressing need I have along the same line it to get my insurance straightened out to that I can finally move ahead with knee replacements. I had a bad infection early last year from hardware removal in one leg and BCBST has gone completely stupid over it; using it as a 'justification to delay surgery'. It is sad and really pixxes me off that we have to but we are sending suit papers this week.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a happy reminder....

Mad Max was set in the year 2021

And

I Am Legend started after a failed vaccine.

Good luck everyone

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to fully develop my 3 miles walking + 2000 punches (or 1000 kicks) daily exercise.

Trying to protect my knees and replace my 3 miles running, I have tried the following replacement lately.

I have a set of 20 punch combo that include 3 to 5 punches such as:

- jab, cross, jab,
- jab, cross, hook, hook.
- hook, back fist, uppercut, hook, hook.
- hook, palm strike, hook, back fist, over hook.

If I repeat each combo 30 times, when I finished 3 miles walking, I can finish 20 x 30 x (3, 4, or 5) = 2000 punches.

During my 3 miles walking, I hold 5 lb weight in each hand to do my punch. During the night when I sleep, my upper arm muscle jump up and down that I can't sleep. I'll try to use 3 lb weight instead. I 'll share my result later.

The beauty of this exercise is when I hold 5 lb weight in each hand, walk and punch at the same time, all no face mask people will move out of my way. In 2020, I had run away from those no face mask people. In 2021, I want those no face mask people to run away from me instead. :D

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I do not to resolutions. But a pressing need I have along the same line it to get my insurance straightened out to that I can finally move ahead with knee replacements. I had a bad infection early last year from hardware removal in one leg and BCBST has gone completely stupid over it; using it as a 'justification to delay surgery'. It is sad and really pixxes me off that we have to but we are sending suit papers this week.

I don't do resolutions either, that is just what I'm planning on.

Sorry you're having such problems, I hope they can get it fixed. I don't have an infection, just scarring and my insurance cut me off, as far as PT goes, today, but then surgery was May 2020. I see my MD later this month and I am hoping there is no more surgery in my future. My knee is getting better, but really really slowly. And I may never be able to straighten it completely again.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I’d like to get back to training in class regularly, of course that depends on the pandemic ending. In 2020 I reviewed on my own a lot, and would like to keep that level of self-practice consistent through 2021.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, ive just read it, to be honest im not sure if it makes the slightest differance to me from what i could do yesterday, which also appeared to be #### all,

unless they get the police out again telling me im not allowed to move more than a 1000 yards from home , which 2asnt true last time and probebly not this time

They are saying you can go out once a day for exercise I'll be out twice as my dog needs more than one walk a day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are saying you can go out once a day for exercise I'll be out twice as my dog needs more than one walk a day.
if you read the regs, guv uk, then dog walking is an exmpt actively in uts own right,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked up the regs out of curiosity. In a lot of spaces it says "you can do X" then state limitations, or "you can only do X". For exercise, it said the same, but then for the once a day limit, it said "you should limit it to once a day", not "you can exercise only once a day" or something similar. Not sure if this is saying that parts just a suggestion, not enforced, or if it's a wording issue to prevent someone from arguing they can exercise more for a non-exempt reason. You/jobo/ivan would probably know the answer to that better than me. But found it interesting.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just looked up the regs out of curiosity. In a lot of spaces it says "you can do X" then state limitations, or "you can only do X". For exercise, it said the same, but then for the once a day limit, it said "you should limit it to once a day", not "you can exercise only once a day" or something similar. Not sure if this is saying that parts just a suggestion, not enforced, or if it's a wording issue to prevent someone from arguing they can exercise more for a non-exempt reason. You/jobo/ivan would probably know the answer to that better than me. But found it interesting.
it was an illdefined mess last time, that they had to keep clarifying/ putting limits on, this is just what they had at the end of the last lowdown, mostly

its still an ill defined mess, just not as bad as it was in march, quite what local means for instance is very much up for debate, with the pokice cobstable of your choice, as is " essential shopping" and exercise, and what if you walk to the shops for yout essencial shopping, is that shopping or exercise or both( a conversation i actually had last time)

it seems that you can take exercise once,locally ( ?) but can exercise your dog as much/ many as you want, with no requirement on locality, or maybe the dog needs to go on his own?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

I have a couple. At this point last year, before Covid came around, I thought that once I joined university, I would have the perfect chance to begin competing, and I aimed to win some tournaments since I would be away from my parents' reach. Regardless, even now, Covid still has me rearing and grasping for any sense of direction.

My current, short term goals are to achieve the splits and lose the tiny belly I have. I feel like I am closer to the splits than I think, as it's not flexibility that's hindering me too much, but rather hip strength. This would lead to higher, and better-balanced kicks.

I also aim to perfect all the basic kicks - by basic kicks I mean all the kicks that don't require spinning or jumping. In a list:
  • Front Kick
  • Side Kick
  • Roundhouse Kick
  • Hook Kick
Although in my most humble opinion, I have a pretty good technique for the majority of these, I don't consider having mastered/perfected them until I can kick to head height and hold them for, say, 10 seconds. This will lead me to begin perfecting the spinning and jumping variations of these kicks.

I also want to improve my Bo skills.

Latest Discussions