2 Hour Intro to Wing Chun Class

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't read through the all the posts, so please forgive me if it's already been covered/said...

Keep the talking minimal in the beginning. Yes, introduce yourself, give a brief overview of Wing Chun and what they'll do, but don't get carried away. Keep it brief and to the point. Get them up and moving soon, as that's what they're there for. Save the "selling points" of Wing Chun for the closure. Coming from a phys ed teaching background, you'll lose some students' interest if you're taking too long to get to it.

Demo something at the end as part of your closure. This will give them a better idea of what you and your system are about. If you taught the basic blocks you spoke of and they're in a form, demo the form. Then demo an application of the form.

The closure will probably be what they remember most, from a talking standpoint. It should cover what they did, why they did it, and what to expect if they become actual students.

Telling the Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's original art will probably get their attention. Perhaps open with that.

Edit: PM sent.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep that's the downside. But if you have a school then a facebook page for your school can greatly reduce marketing costs. In short, it's free and effective advertising.

Websites are still a must because it shows that the person is serious enough about what they are doing to invest in a website. Website has other benefits as well such as being an extension of the physical school.

My problem is I don't have a lot of Facebook friends who are in my area. Those who are, are not interested in studying martial arts. And those who are interested in studying martial arts, are usually already studying OTHER martial arts. LOL

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem is I don't have a lot of Facebook friends who are in my area. Those who are, are not interested in studying martial arts. And those who are interested in studying martial arts, are usually already studying OTHER martial arts. LOL
Your program's FB page isn't so much for your friends as for folks searching on FB. Apparently there's a of folks who use FB like I once used AOL.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your program's FB page isn't so much for your friends as for folks searching on FB. Apparently there's a of folks who use FB like I once used AOL.

Right. Well, there is still a way to teach people even if they find me only on Facebook: video and/or Skype instruction, although I loathe the idea of learning online. You cannot get a feel for the sensitivity involved in Chi Sao. Then again, learning ANY martial art via online is bad. For example, how can you tell you have the proper distance needed to land a Tae Kwon Do side kick if you have no partner?

However, for some people living in remote areas, it may be the only option.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Well, there is still a way to teach people even if they find me only on Facebook: video and/or Skype instruction, although I loathe the idea of learning online. You cannot get a feel for the sensitivity involved in Chi Sao. Then again, learning ANY martial art via online is bad. For example, how can you tell you have the proper distance needed to land a Tae Kwon Do side kick if you have no partner?

If you make it localized (which you can do once you have a space to work with), the folks that find it will probably mostly be local.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you make it localized (which you can do once you have a space to work with), the folks that find it will probably mostly be local.

I was thinking of changing things up a bit. Rather than go to the place I have described in the past where I would have to pay rent, I can always reserve rooms at local libraries. Believe it or not, they actually do allow their big meeting rooms to be reserved for things like that, as long as they are free to the public. If I don't have to pay rent, then it doesn't matter if I have to make it a free class because I am losing NO investment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of changing things up a bit. Rather than go to the place I have described in the past where I would have to pay rent, I can always reserve rooms at local libraries. Believe it or not, they actually do allow their big meeting rooms to be reserved for things like that, as long as they are free to the public. If I don't have to pay rent, then it doesn't matter if I have to make it a free class because I am losing NO investment.
That may be effective for starting out, give you a chance to get used to teaching. Just know that folks who join a free program will likely not become paying students - there's a reason they chose the free program. You'll either have to grandfather them in (let them stay free) or just accept that many will vanish when you get ready to start charging. Still, nothing lost in the process, and if you picked up one or two people who got hooked on the classes and could afford to pay, that's a start.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free class is a bad idea. People won't respect your art.
I don't know about that. Nobody has cost-related disrespect for the yoga class I attend, and it's free. There are certainly some who won't have the same level of respect, and many may wonder why it's free, but most who have real interest will end up with the same level of respect if they try it out, whether it's free or not. Now, they'll definitely tend to be more casual about attendance when it's free - we tend to work harder to get our money's worth when we pay.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey '100, it seems like your intention is simply to get a group together to practice the art you love rather than dive into a profit generating endeavor. I like that and I think that you should present it that way to those who choose to join you.
However...
You can also be upfront with them and say that you want to build the group to the point where you can afford to rent a space that can be equipped for better training (with mook, wall bags, etc.). To that end, you are looking for participants who are willing and able to contribute some monthly dues. Doesn't have to be right away...the library will suffice for a month or two to see if people are interested. But be upfront with your plan.
I think that those who would make worthy students would stick around and the others...well, who needs 'em anyway.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Nobody has cost-related disrespect for the yoga class I attend, and it's free. There are certainly some who won't have the same level of respect, and many may wonder why it's free, but most who have real interest will end up with the same level of respect if they try it out, whether it's free or not. Now, they'll definitely tend to be more casual about attendance when it's free - we tend to work harder to get our money's worth when we pay.

It can become disheartening when you try hard to teach your best, and people drift in and out of the group. They will do this more it its free IMHO...it's human nature to take for granted that which costs nothing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey '100, it seems like your intention is simply to get a group together to practice the art you love rather than dive into a profit generating endeavor. I like that and I think that you should present it that way to those who choose to join you.
However...
You can also be upfront with them and say that you want to build the group to the point where you can afford to rent a space that can be equipped for better training (with mook, wall bags, etc.). To that end, you are looking for participants who are willing and able to contribute some monthly dues. Doesn't have to be right away...the library will suffice for a month or two to see if people are interested. But be upfront with your plan.
I think that those who would make worthy students would stick around and the others...well, who needs 'em anyway.
Agreed. My point was just that the OP has to take that into account when figuring how many students he needs to pay for a space.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

You could then offer private classes which of course you would charge for to the students who are interested, and have them in a different location

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The average cost of MA in my (and Wing Chun 100's) area is about $125/month with an annual contract. There's places that charge more in a "black belt plan" way.

My CI charges $55/month for adults, $45 for kids. Discount is $10 off each person (1 person is full price) for families.

I have several friends who send their kids to the McDojos. I've told them about where I train and how much it costs. They always, always give me the same look - they're getting premium instruction for their premium tuition, and I'm getting clearance quality instruction for a clearance price. Two people send their kids to the McDojo that's 5 blocks away and on the same road, so it's not like it's out of their way.

My CI says he always wondered how many students he'd get if he jacked up the price.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Don't do it. It's a slippery slope once you compromise your standards once.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Free class is a bad idea. People won't respect your art.
The teaching I have done has been for free, and my students definitely see the quality in it.

And, it gives me the power to say no to anybody I don't want to teach, for any reason or for no reason at all.

I guarantee you, I will never have a problem student who last more than about two classes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ou'll either have to grandfather them in (let them stay free) or just accept that many will vanish when you get ready to start charging.
I would grandfather them in because at least then you can use those students as marketing material to get paying students to join. People are more likely to join when they see that you have students. The new student's automatically assume that the current students at the school are paying, so if they are paying then the class must be worth the money. Once people get hooked on the classes and the friendships that are created from the classes, then they will be willing to pay if it helps to keep the school open which in terms helps to keep that part of their social life available.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I taught free in UT Austin, I had 2 students. 3 months later, when I charged the normal fee, I got 50 students.
That's not a respect issue, it's about perceived value, and it applies to everything (we think wine is better if we're told it's more expensive).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would grandfather them in because at least then you can use those students as marketing material to get paying students to join. People are more likely to join when they see that you have students. The new student's automatically assume that the current students at the school are paying, so if they are paying then the class must be worth the money. Once people get hooked on the classes and the friendships that are created from the classes, then they will be willing to pay if it helps to keep the school open which in terms helps to keep that part of their social life available.
This would be my approach, too. I'd rather have a few non-paying students who are committed and helping make the classes more interesting.

Latest Discussions